• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I think at this point the second hand market is going to be self-sustaining for a while yet.

It wont bomb overnight no, what I meant was the people selling will stampede to get best price they can before undercutting one another. You have other factors to impact this timing such as the refresh releases (supers), intel dGPU launch, 40 series/rdna3 release etc.

Associate
I feel a little out of touch haha. I haven't really looked into PC components for a few years since I went over to my Macbook. Gave my gaming PC to my Dad. He recently bought a laptop, so I stole the Vega 56 Sapphire Nitro+ out of it and chuck it into a Razer Core X for gaming through Bootcamp. Thought I'd look into the prices of newer cards and couldn't believe the market! I paid £230 for my Vega 56 in 2019...They're selling on now eBay for £500. Shame I can't get a RTX 3060 for less than £650 or I'd sell and upgrade!

Associate
I feel a little out of touch haha. I haven't really looked into PC components for a few years since I went over to my Macbook. Gave my gaming PC to my Dad. He recently bought a laptop, so I stole the Vega 56 Sapphire Nitro+ out of it and chuck it into a Razer Core X for gaming through Bootcamp. Thought I'd look into the prices of newer cards and couldn't believe the market! I paid £230 for my Vega 56 in 2019...They're selling on now eBay for £500. Shame I can't get a RTX 3060 for less than £650 or I'd sell and upgrade!

Whilst selling is a gamble if you're posting, if you can get the cash you could just get a 6600xt. Yeah not a massive upgrade performance wise, it is more efficient and will have a longer life + comes with a fresh new warranty. No brainer imo.

[edit]

Actually no, it's a massive performance upgrade, i just looked :)

Associate
Whilst selling is a gamble if you're posting, if you can get the cash you could just get a 6600xt. Yeah not a massive upgrade performance wise, it is more efficient and will have a longer life + comes with a fresh new warranty. No brainer imo.

[edit]

Actually no, it's a massive performance upgrade, i just looked :)

Hmm, yeah, might be worth looking into. Challenge I have is getting a 6600xt to work on Bootcamp with an eGPU (Macbook Pro is the only machine I have at the moment) is not easy because, ya know, Apple. Nvidia is plug and play frustratingly. The plan is to replace the Macbook with some sort of Windows Ultrabook (akin to a Razer Blade Stealth) to use with an eGPU for gaming (I need the portability) and a Mac Mini - in which case the 6600xt would be stellar, but doesn't help me right now annoyingly!

Plus selling on eBay makes me nervous, been screwed by the mental Buyer Protection before.

Associate
Hmm, yeah, might be worth looking into. Challenge I have is getting a 6600xt to work on Bootcamp with an eGPU (Macbook Pro is the only machine I have at the moment) is not easy because, ya know, Apple. Nvidia is plug and play frustratingly. The plan is to replace the Macbook with some sort of Windows Ultrabook (akin to a Razer Blade Stealth) to use with an eGPU for gaming (I need the portability) and a Mac Mini - in which case the 6600xt would be stellar, but doesn't help me right now annoyingly!

Plus selling on eBay makes me nervous, been screwed by the mental Buyer Protection before.

Yeah, screw selling at distance on ebay right now! I've no idea about compatibility with your external setup, it never occurred to me to think Apple, when that's the exact i reason i've never had any ipod or iphone product before :p

Given you can get a 3060ti for slightly less than £700, paying another £200 (or even £300) for the privilege of getting a new warranty and more performance isn't that bad, you just need a cash buyer for the Vega 56 :)

Associate
Yeah, screw selling at distance on ebay right now! I've no idea about compatibility with your external setup, it never occurred to me to think Apple, when that's the exact i reason i've never had any ipod or iphone product before :p

Given you can get a 3060ti for slightly less than £700, paying another £200 (or even £300) for the privilege of getting a new warranty and more performance isn't that bad, you just need a cash buyer for the Vega 56 :)

Haha, yeah, I don't blame you to be honest. I have my reasons for needing a Mac, but yeah, when it comes to gaming etc its a nightmare. Might hold off a try for a MRP 3060ti FE... Long shot I know, but I'm in no mad rush, Vega performs okay for now!

Associate
Ah interesting, didn't realise the FE's were still in production. Okay, cool, I'll look. Thanks

Every 3 or 4 weeks. It's all in the prep. Log in and payment details saved. Telegram alert done, then wait. Decide what you'll go upto as each skew doesn't drop at the same time.

When you get the alert, go for it. You don't have time to mull it over.

Associate
That is crazy..... OC's have lot of 3070's in stock at £830.... or is that because your 3070 was an older one, pre-LHR?
Yeah exactly, full hash rate.

But still, using nbminer (which is 74% efficient on LHR) my LHR 3080 hashes about 68Mh/s vs 60 for the 3070 non-LHR so it doesn’t seem like a fantastic deal for them.

Associate
I've definitely given up. Prices are totally stupid. A 6600xt or 3060 are going for around £550 for an entry level gaming GPU. You could get a brilliant GPU for that kind of money 18 months ago. A 3060 should only be about £275.

I will have to stick with my rx480. If I'd realised how mad things would have got I'd have bought a new GPU towards the end of 2020 when I upgraded the rest of my system and got my brother a 2070 b grade GPU from oc for about £330. I'd have got one as well.

Soldato
Collected card yesterday as mentioned from buddy. Extremely pleased. I had given my daughter my RTX 2060 so that she could play minecraft with RT, so I had been suffering with an R9 270x 2GB. It was painful playing things like Apex Legends at 1366 res and everything as low as possible.

So happy to have picked up the 2070 XC. Fits in my mini ITX case just lovely. My sanity has been restored. Just need to adjust the fan profile, and possibly undervolt it so I am happy with everything.

Sure, I would have preferred a 3060 Ti, but they are like rocking horse kaka right now.... and I need a new oven, microwave and possibly dishwasher lol. Priorities.

Back
Top Bottom