• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
That's 'cause you have a 1070 Ti. It's a bit different when you're sitting on a Radeon R9 280x and were waiting for 3000 series so you could finally upgrade and get some proper use out of the VR gear you were bought as a present...

I'd murder my granny for a decent GPU right now.

Well, maybe not murder her. Maim her.

No, still a bit strong... I would be quite rude to her. She'd be upset about that though and she's so nice. So maybe not...

I would happily mildly inconvenience my granny for a decent GPU.

Well, not happily but I would do it.

There, I said it.

lol :D

Man of Honour
Yeah I get the point that it depends on what you have at the moment, but I imagine most gamers have still got a big backlog that can be played on older hardware, or potentially had a chance to buy previous gen 6-9 months ago before it went out out of stock / silly prices.

Of course it might be that you just feel an upgrade is needed and have to pull the trigger, it won't work for everyone. I remember when I upgraded to Ryzen, timing wise it was frustrating because I was on DDR3 and there had been a big spike in DDR4 prices, costing about double what it had been before, the cost of changing platform was actually quite high compared to the usual sort of upgrades I would do.

Even if my 1070ti died, I don't think I'd buy a replacement in the current market, I'd put an old card in.

Soldato
Even if I find a card I go from happy to wait to wanting a new one.

In reality I play at 1080p, my 1070 is still going strong and doesn't struggle all it lacks is RTX/DLSS

Which considering the cost it's hard to justify such a big purchase for two features, I'll likely run the card till it dies or it struggles with games

Soldato
As I noted in another thread, my GTX1650 died on Monday morning, back to my 1050 while waiting to hear what the vendor is going to give me for the RMA. It wasn’t until I started looking for a new card that I became aware of the current situation. I know I’m a bit of a dinosaur but TBH first I heard of this crypto mining malarkey. Still can’t quite get my head round how you can make money out of nothing using the device that sends the display to your monitor.

Soldato
Still can’t quite get my head round how you can make money out of nothing using the device that sends the display to your monitor.

In the same way that central banks (and commercial banks) can generate trillions of dollars worth of "real" money electronically.

Associate
My 1080ti died so stuck with a 980 not to mention I am running 5120 x 1440 which this GPU can barely run so I really want to upgrade but leaning towards prebuilt. Current prices are insane and shocked people are willing to pay that much for gaming.

EDIT: hurts my soul seeing people buying the 3090 for a whopping £2500. Genuinely concerned that some people have mental issues.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Consider us old guys that have been gaming since the 70's. I might be dead by the time this nonsense sorts itself out and on my grave stone will be inscribed 'F U nVidia'

Thankfully I'm wise enough to not pay stupid prices and waste time searching mythical products.

Caporegime
Consider us old guys that have been gaming since the 70's. I might be dead by the time this nonsense sorts itself out and on my grave stone will be inscribed 'F U nVidia'

Thankfully I'm wise enough to not pay stupid prices and waste time searching mythical products.
Yup, similar here, I've got a £300 B-Grade 1080ti in my rig which I thought was a daft purchase when I got it, now, not at all...

It'll probably outlive me and my interest given current pricing.

Permabanned
Yup, similar here, I've got a £300 B-Grade 1080ti in my rig which I thought was a daft purchase when I got it, now, not at all...

It'll probably outlive me and my interest given current pricing.
I bought a 1440p monitor early last year in readiness for 3070 but now I'm stuck with a gtx 760.
To play Battlefield 5 I have to set the game to run at 1080p so I can get 40fps.

But it's all good. :)

Permabanned
Also part of the frill of buying new kit is getting a bargain, I don't buy anything unless it's got a yellow sticker on it. Now I have sell one of the kids to get a gpu.

Caporegime
I bought a 1440p monitor early last year in readiness for 3070 but now I'm stuck with a gtx 760.
To play Battlefield 5 I have to set the game to run at 1080p so I can get 40fps.

But it's all good. :)
This is (partly) why I'm in no rush to upgrade my ancient 1080p monitor. That and the state of the monitor market :p

But there would be zero point in a nice new high-refresh 1440p screen and having nothing to drive it (well). Don't think a Vega 56 is quite up to the task.

Associate
This is (partly) why I'm in no rush to upgrade my ancient 1080p monitor. That and the state of the monitor market :p

But there would be zero point in a nice new high-refresh 1440p screen and having nothing to drive it (well). Don't think a Vega 56 is quite up to the task.

Have a super ultrawide 1440p monitor which I was going to sit out this mess with my 1080ti but my 1080ti died and now I am stuck with a 980 which is at its limit with this resolution.

Associate
There's, such a back log at the moment, it probably won't even get back to normal, until mid 2022.....anything about new GPU's from either side isn't gong to surface until at least 2023+ But who knows, they might release cards and have no stock.......now, where have I seen that before????

Back
Top Bottom