• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Caporegime
I literally didn't say the 6900xt was better value, in fact I said specifically that it was worse, but that the inflation on the RRP is lower, nothing more or less.

Being the cheapest available right this second doesn't make it a good deal and it seems everyone agrees because if they weren't priced outrageously they'd have sold out immediately as people have been waiting months to have any shot to get their hands on one but not at these prices.

What's the point in comparing to reference cards? Because that sets what the price of the cards should be, seems like a pretty simple idea.

Being actually in stock doesn't make something a good deal. By the same reasoning if OCUK had the only stock in the world and had the price set to £5000 then it must be far from a terrible deal because what other options do you have? Right, not buying, so I do have other options.

Associate
What's the point in comparing to reference cards? Because that sets what the price of the cards should be, seems like a pretty simple idea.

We all know those launch MSRP's were fake. https://youtu.be/qaBIgo0ZCxs?t=888

Being actually in stock doesn't make something a good deal.

Maybe not but it makes a hell of a difference especially when it comes with a warranty...

Should see what people in countries with higher taxes and inflation pay above MSRP.

Associate
It is a terrible deal. Not that they are in stock but the 6800xt AMD version was basically £580-600 depending on exchange rate, the damn XT.

£700 for the non XT version of the card? Even the Nitro edition reviews basically say that despite the increased clocks performance was identical to the stock 6800, it didn't even run as cool but did run quieter though the reference card is already quiet. Even overclocked by like 10-15% clock speeds it barely seems to show 5% more performance.

The reference cards are good enough, much like the Nvidia founders editions that there is no reason for AIB cards to be more this time around but the same time. Reference with terrible cooler vs AIB with higher clocks, 5% more performance and vastly superior cooling was worth more but not much. Reference card with equal cooling, close enough on noise levels, equal on performance, AIBs shouldn't cost more.

£700 for a £540 card is literally 30% higher priced than it should be. It's a shockingly bad deal.

The 6900xt at £1200 is only 20% above the actual price, though it was vastly worst priced in terms of performance/£ to begin with, however it's still less bad compared to RRP.

It's mad though, OCUK is charging so much that cards that sell out instantly have been in stock for days now because the prices are insanely high.

All the more galling as OCUK happily took the £700 or whatever it was for a reference 6800xt card from me then cancelled my order. £700 would be an okay but high price for a 6800xt NItro, not a 6800 non XT, pulse card.

I should be specific: it’s not a terrible deal for right now. It’s legit, in stock and comes with a warranty.

It’s also situational: if you desperately need a new card and you have the extra £150 over the normal price for an AIB, it could come as a relief. Silverhand seems quite happy.

Makes sense. Just ordered one to call it a day. IK it's overpriced but to be fair I payed more for my 2080 from nvidia on launch and i'm ok to pay under 750 for above 2080TI performance in this climate .

The 3070 seems to be selling fast. I guess G-sync & raytracing is more important to most people than having double the VRAM. :rolleyes:

6800 should do me for this generation. Seems like the sweet spot as far as price/perf is concerned even with inflated prices.
Congrats mate, glad to know you picked one up. I paid £640 to get a 3070 about six weeks ago and have no regrets. And from another relative newbie, welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:
Associate
The notion that Ebays "money back guarantee" is bulletproof for buyers is clearly not true when it comes to expensive purchases. Looking back I should seen a big red flag when the seller originally offered to accept payment by bank-transfer before i payed with debit card.

That's why you use PayPal or better still a credit card if its a shop. Had you used PayPal they would have held the funds at least 24hrs after proof of delivery was given by a courier to your PayPal address not some miss-typed or intentionally fraudulent address. Scammers know this and will do everything they can to circumvent systems that offer protection and security. Its not a 100% perfect but it will protect you from 99% of issues especially if the transaction values are below say £200 cos its simply not worth the trouble for those sums of money.

The problem which you've kind of eluded to is they give buyers (and sellers too) a false sense of security in order to transact. You said it yourself you should have known better it is unfortunately a learning experience with people ready and waiting to take advantage of the system for their personal gain.

In your case if they don't resolve your claim you have I think 120days to issue a chargeback via your bank, so don't give them too long to authorise a refund.

Associate
That's why you use PayPal or better still a credit card if its a shop. Had you used PayPal they would have held the funds at least 24hrs after proof of delivery was given by a courier to your PayPal address not some miss-typed or intentionally fraudulent address. Scammers know this and will do everything they can to circumvent systems that offer protection and security. Its not a 100% perfect but it will protect you from 99% of issues especially if the transaction values are below say £200 cos its simply not worth the trouble for those sums of money.

The problem which you've kind of eluded to is they give buyers (and sellers too) a false sense of security in order to transact. You said it yourself you should have known better it is unfortunately a learning experience with people ready and waiting to take advantage of the system for their personal gain.

In your case if they don't resolve your claim you have I think 120days to issue a chargeback via your bank, so don't give them too long to authorise a refund.

Yep buying anything on eBay always use Paypal you get so much protection as a buyer. As a seller you get screwed over pretty much why I am reluctant to sell anything expensive on eBay

Associate
It is a terrible deal. -SNIP-

I agree it is a terrible deal. We are all in a really terrible position right now regarding stock and prices and the only way forward is patience and a bit of self control but it seems most people can't manage that.

Not only is the world a mess with the current pandemic but the scalping greedy conmen live among us too. Come to thin of it they have ruined many a Christmas morning for console gamers too.
I know a couple of friends who are patiently waiting stock for their families and a couple of friends /family who have paid £500 /£600 /£700 for a PS5 and Xbox Series X. Absolutely crazy times.

Soldato
We all know those launch MSRP's were fake. https://youtu.be/qaBIgo0ZCxs?t=888

Should see what people in countries with higher taxes and inflation pay above MSRP.

From what I can see, AMD and nVidia are selling their reference at their MSRP.
AIBs likely have different MSRP.

Also, the 'S' stands for 'suggested' and retailers will add their margin unless contracted otherwise.

Caporegime
I bought a cookery book on eBay for my mother as the one she's had since she was married had simply fallen apart so I managed to find a 1955 edition of Good Housekeeping in very good condition and she's delighted with it and I've bought and sold tons of low value items like that and had zero issues with it.

But if you're buying and especially selling high value, technical or sought after items you need your head examining as they're a mecca for scammers. Ok I will hold up my hands I bought a 5900X on there but the seller was decent and as a buyer I'm at very low risk. But I sure as heck wouldn't be selling one.

A well known console and other gaming store had a big drop only last week I think it was and every PS5 vanished in a short time, damn bots.
I've been watching the console situation from time to time.

Argos had a "large" drop a couple days ago, and apparently the bots were able to buy the stock a day before it even went live, lol. The bot authors know their ordering systems inside out, probably better than Argos do themselves :p

The bot users were even able to collect their purchases in Argos stores a day before anyone else could even order from the website :p Nobody batted an eyelid!

They have apparently since closed this "loophole", but I really doubt they care who they sell to. They didn't bother cancelling the orders, after all.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yeah, I've given up for the moment and I'm not going to buy something elsewhere for huge uptake on RRP either. But this is getting ridiculous on stock being bought out within 1 second or even before stuff about the place gets bought before it even gets opened by clicking buy now button.

It is something the industry needs to sort out from suppliers and those that sell in getting together and figuring something out to stop this.

Unfortunately even if supply is increased exponentially, the demand from mining will grow to meet it, because every GPU makes an income, supply will never ever meet demand, not even close when there is a boom in crypto mining.

Soldato
The 3070 from here arrived yesterday back at home in the UK so nice to be sat waiting for me.

I know this has probably already been discussed in circles but do we think the prices when cards become more available will just be higher now moving forward ?

Soldato
Unfortunately even if supply is increased exponentially, the demand from mining will grow to meet it, because every GPU makes an income, supply will never ever meet demand, not even close when there is a boom in crypto mining.

In my view it will improve signfiicantly by mid year.

Both the big Crypto's have done a ~10x in the last year so mining is profitable right now, along with new more power efficient hardware.
All those GPU's diverted to mining have increased the hash rate drastically, Ethereum global hash rate is 20% up in January alone with no sign of slowing down as these new fast cards are thrown into the mix by the pallet.... along with some Asics. So that's 20% less rewards per day just this month. At this sort of rate deflation mining in the UK is already not going to be profitable on hardware bought specifically for mining.

The payback on an MRSP 3060Ti back in early January would have been 3-4 months at UK electric prices, now at £500+ for the same card it's more than six months. In 2 months time, the same £500 3060Ti will have a spot ROI of 12 months and in reality with the hash rate increasing quickly month on month even cards bought now are unlikely to ever pay back half of the purchase cost this year due to the high UK energy price and the effect of compounding global hash rate increases. Add in to the mix that mining rewards are likely to be reduced in the summer (EIP-1559) and that the above payback assumtions include the current Eth price holding at $1300 ish.... the party won't last forever.

Unless the Eth price makes a strong and permanent upward move, I predect UK miners will be looking to offload their cards from mid to late Q2.
Older (less efficent) cards will flood the market first.
Even if pricing hits $2k per Eth, that only delays break even for another couple of months.
GPU supply into key mining regions will continue but at a less agressive rate as ROI's fall so there will be more cards globally along with used cards on the market.

Keep the faith, The market will come back to gamers sooner than you think.
I expect there will be plenty of new and well priced used cards in the summer.

That said... if you do have a capable GPU's or two sitting around in a gaming machine or as a spare, you can make a little pocket change for the next few months
I've done OK over the last few months and will probably have enough profit to pay for my next GPU upgrade by summer and the extra heat hasn't gone to waste in winter.

Soldato
In my view it will improve signfiicantly by mid year.

Both the big Crypto's have done a ~10x in the last year so mining is profitable right now, along with new more power efficient hardware.
All those GPU's diverted to mining have increased the hash rate drastically, Ethereum global hash rate is 20% up in January alone with no sign of slowing down as these new fast cards are thrown into the mix by the pallet.... along with some Asics. So that's 20% less rewards per day just this month. At this sort of rate deflation mining in the UK is already not going to be profitable on hardware bought specifically for mining.

The payback on an MRSP 3060Ti back in early January would have been 3-4 months at UK electric prices, now at £500+ for the same card it's more than six months. In 2 months time, the same £500 3060Ti will have a spot ROI of 12 months and in reality with the hash rate increasing quickly month on month even cards bought now are unlikely to ever pay back half of the purchase cost this year due to the high UK energy price and the effect of compounding global hash rate increases. Add in to the mix that mining rewards are likely to be reduced in the summer (EIP-1559) and that the above payback assumtions include the current Eth price holding at $1300 ish.... the party won't last forever.

Unless the Eth price makes a strong and permanent upward move, I predect UK miners will be looking to offload their cards from mid to late Q2.
Older (less efficent) cards will flood the market first.
Even if pricing hits $2k per Eth, that only delays break even for another couple of months.
GPU supply into key mining regions will continue but at a less agressive rate as ROI's fall so there will be more cards globally along with used cards on the market.

Keep the faith, The market will come back to gamers sooner than you think.
I expect there will be plenty of new and well priced used cards in the summer.

That said... if you do have a capable GPU's or two sitting around in a gaming machine or as a spare, you can make a little pocket change for the next few months
I've done OK over the last few months and will probably have enough profit to pay for my next GPU upgrade by summer and the extra heat hasn't gone to waste in winter.

Have you got any good resources on getting started on mining? I'm debating doing some while I WFH.

Back
Top Bottom