• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone pre ordered 12600k and z690 board yet?

Soldato
I'd rather stick to Intel personally. Preference and all that. Plus with the random issues that pop up with AMD and the ongoing one currently being discussed over at Hardware Unboxed on their twitter so always on edge with that sort of stuff. Plus I do not want to do a fresh install of Windows doing such a big platform change going 6th Gen Intel to Zen 3 etc.

Plus, new tech smell :D

I have the same version of windows 10 since release day it has been moved from one platform to another and never had to reinstall it from Intel to AMD was last moved from a 5930k (x99) to 5950x (x570). All I had to do was delete all the intel stuff and then install the AMD chipset drivers and new drivers for all the motherboard stuff.

I keep my windows installs clean and it runs exactly the same as the benchmarks say it should, zero performance issues or any other issues windows can take a full platform change as long as you make sure to reinstall all the latest drivers needed, but windows will do it if you have driver updates enabled in windows update too, mines always off I never allow windows to update drivers.

Windows 7 was the same too, I moved it from different intel plaforms too, until I updated it to windows 10. Xp was same too, but could get fussy (blue screen on platform change on boot) but by end of its life at service pack 3 it was very good too.

Associate
Hello all,

I recently built my gaming pc and thinking about returning my 10400f and b560 chipset, and ordering the 12600kf with a DDR4 z690 board, would cost me £150 to make the jump.

Anyone else thinking of pre ordering?

I did pre-order for the 12 of November a bundle made of 12700k and 2 x 16Gb DDR5 at 4800mhz (must re-check) for 590£ from another retailer... I had to upgrade my system anyway. I am waiting for a MBU as I can't pre-order at this stage.

Associate
Reviews are out tomorrow and it looks like Intel will be faster and cheaper and the rumours are price cuts from AND are just around the corner.

The 12700k IMO is the chip to get if you want to go on the higher end and TDP is reasonable and won't overload most coolers.

Cheaper then AMD depends which components you are using

Soldato
Cheaper then AMD depends which components you are using
True but at the higher end Intel is still cheaper if you go for equivalent parts, Z690 carries a around £25 premium over X570 boards and DDR5 costs a bit more as well but consider the 12700k is £420 vs the 5900X @ £600 that's a big difference. I know you can go B550, DDR4 and get away with a lower spec PSU and cooler which would close the gap but would you really want to do that with a £600 chip?

Associate
True but at the higher end Intel is still cheaper if you go for equivalent parts, Z690 carries a around £25 premium over X570 boards and DDR5 costs a bit more as well but consider the 12700k is £420 vs the 5900X @ £600 that's a big difference. I know you can go B550, DDR4 and get away with a lower spec PSU and cooler which would close the gap but would you really want to do that with a £600 chip?
12700KF is only £380

£380 for the chip, £200 for a middling mobo (after cashback) and £180 for 32GB DDR5 if you got in on the cheap Crucial.

£760 all in.

Last edited:
Associate
I pre-ordered on the 27th October at like 16:45, and I expected my order to ship on the 4th November, but nope. I sent a webmail asking why my order hadn't been shipped, and guess what, they don't have stock or an ETA for the motherboard and the memory, and this is despite the memory being in stock when I placed the order. When I queried as to why I hadn't been allocated the memory they said they didn't know and perhaps someone else had sniped it while I was checking out. BUt this wasn't the case either, as after I had paid for everything I couldn't remember if it was the mobo or RAM that was in stock so I went back and checked and the memory was still showing as in stock. The motherboard is Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero - Intel Z690 DDR5 ATX Motherboard, and the memory is Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-41600C38 5200MHZ Dual Channel Kit. Anyone from OCUK want to comment on this, when are you guys starting the Alder Lake thread, like you guys did with the 3080's? I wouldn't mind I actually phoned OC the next day when I had noticed that I had ordered a KF instead of a K SKU to change it, and I asked the lad what the demand had been like and he told me they hadn't had that many pre-orders and assured me that there wasn't going to be a replay of the 3080 situation. And don't tell me I can cancel any time, I know that, it's not the answer I want.

Soldato
I pre-ordered on the 27th October at like 16:45, and I expected my order to ship on the 4th November, but nope. I sent a webmail asking why my order hadn't been shipped, and guess what, they don't have stock or an ETA for the motherboard and the memory, and this is despite the memory being in stock when I placed the order. When I queried as to why I hadn't been allocated the memory they said they didn't know and perhaps someone else had sniped it while I was checking out. BUt this wasn't the case either, as after I had paid for everything I couldn't remember if it was the mobo or RAM that was in stock so I went back and checked and the memory was still showing as in stock. The motherboard is Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero - Intel Z690 DDR5 ATX Motherboard, and the memory is Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-41600C38 5200MHZ Dual Channel Kit. Anyone from OCUK want to comment on this, when are you guys starting the Alder Lake thread, like you guys did with the 3080's? I wouldn't mind I actually phoned OC the next day when I had noticed that I had ordered a KF instead of a K SKU to change it, and I asked the lad what the demand had been like and he told me they hadn't had that many pre-orders and assured me that there wasn't going to be a replay of the 3080 situation. And don't tell me I can cancel any time, I know that, it's not the answer I want.
Your better off posting in the Customer Service section.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/community/ocuk-customer-service.116/

Back
Top Bottom