anyone remember barrysworld

Associate
This thread brings back many happy memories :) I first started off on Wireplay servers playing CS & TFC, then moved on to BY Games when they launched as I had a Blueyonder cable connection at the time. After a couple of years of CS, TFC & FLF I moved on to playing DAoC and the main forums for the European servers were on Barrysworld - all these communities were fantastic, there is nothing that even comes close these days - this is one of the reasons why I stopped playing online games regularly.

I thought it was me reminicing on the good old days and getting a bit old myself, but as this thread has proved it seems that I'm not the only one feeling this way :)

Associate
I loved the pre broadband era and early broadband days, the community was more honest compared to the TS radar brigade of today, proberly down to the low monthly cost of online connection these days.

Associate
Anyone remember the IRC channel savebarrysworld ?

I created the quakenet channel and I think around 2000+ people joined it at one point to gather support for barrysworld before it closed. Being a total noob with mIrc at the time, the quakenet admins took control of the channel :) My only claim to geek fame !!

While I still enjoy online gaming, the barrysworld era will always be my true love :D

Man of Honour
What was the major alternative to Qizmo? I think it ended in 'Mo' as well but can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

There was Cheapo and Nitro/NFproxy, Qizmo was just 'better' though due to compression (for dialup users), firewall evasion, spectator cams etc.

I remember the CLQ as well! Used to use it mainly for AQ2.
Problem with the CLQ was that it was a bit biased in favour of how long you played (in spite of being based on your best 90mins). I was official world #1 according to that a few times back in 2000, but I wasn't actually the best, I just played a lot of FFA (over 6000 frags one week, lol).

I was on X-stream for a bit, but I wonder if anyone remembers Screaming.net? If I'm remembering it right, you signed up and got free weekend and evening calls if they came in under an hour. Then it was just a case of finding an ISP which offered a national number as 0845 wasn't included. And hey presto, free internet.
There were loads of ingenious loopholes like that back in the day, some clanmates of mine who lived in London signed up with some weird telco that gave you free local calls up to 10mins, and then dialup up dual-channel ISDN to Nildram's London number (they didn't just have national ones) using some app that would automatically reconnect after 9:59 :) They combined this with a static ip address so that you wouldn't actually drop from the game, you'd just lag out for a second or two while the ISDN line reconnected. And hey presto, free 128k internet! :)

I haz 4090!
Don
Oh this thread is taking me back so much! It was so cool to be playing with the same people day in day out even on public servers. Proper gamers back then, not matter how much you owned or got owned, you never quit. You always went back for more until the job was done haha!

Staying up until 5am playing sniper bounce with the BEERZnWORMZ, GoDSHoTS guys on Wireplay was probably the best for me. :)

Soldato
Incidentally a guy on these forums (str) wrote a little app called RASdial which some of used to use, basically it would continually spam redial attempts much quicker than Windows DUN dialog could, giving you a much better chance of connecting to X-Stream.
I wrote an app that did that too, sure it wasn't my app? :confused:

Associate
Wearing a Barrysworld T-Shirt as I type :) Met the owner of barrysworld through a friend of mine at work, top geezer. He now works for Sony.

Associate
I miss those days - kids now don't have a clue.

Everything is "pwnt" or "noob" - what happened to having a good laugh when someone fell off the roof, and knowing who you were playing?

The days of fighting to get your programs working, never mind your internet connection - the two hour disconnects, of course, but what about the ISPs that gave you x hours per month (I think it worked out at about 4 hours per day) - then being entirely without the net from about the 26th because you went over.

Soldato
Heh, I have fond memories of the Wireplay/ bygames era. Even went to London to a bygames party :D

I was a Gamepro on the old Wireplay client, the built in chat/help room thingy, ahhh good times.

I still have my Diamond Supra 56E external serial modem, what a beast! Those were the days of £200+ phone bills :) TFC was the game of choice.

Where'd I put that time machine, I want to go back to 1998 :)

Soldato
My online gaming started on Wireplay - Duke3D and Quakeworld. Used to play QW on Barrysworld too.

I was one of the first LPBs on WP, forking out £136/qtr for ISDN2 line rental in 1998. With the 2.5p/min billing I had some monster bills! :eek:

Ditto, i remember my first bill that came in with wireplay, was over £300, wife near had a fit. :p

Man of Honour
I wrote an app that did that too, sure it wasn't my app? :confused:

Fairly sure yes; he updated it based on my feedback and he never really struck me as the type of guy who needed to pass off the work of others as his own. Looking in my mIRC download folder the latest version he sent me is timestamped 09/05/2000 03:00 and is 24576 bytes in size

Associate
Barryworld QW CTF servers! Many a BT engineer has retired on my dialup phone bills... Good days when a LPB was anything under 300ms, damn those uni connections with guys on <50ms and us poor suckers getting eaten alive :) Was always a good moment when you beat them.

And to be even more old school, I remember trying to get a 1v1 modem game of Doom 2 setup with a guy on compuserve :cool:

Back
Top Bottom