Anyone replaced an iPhone 6 battery?

Soldato
OP
So much guff from people, it's unreal. You can buy OEM Apple batteries from quite a few places, and what's all this nonsense about warranty on a phone that is going to be 3-4 years old? Get a cheap one from eBay, or buy an iFixit kit for €24.99 (about £20), which includes the tools to do it.

Ah perfect, the iFixit kit is exactly what I was looking for. Trusted seller, decent price. Happy to do this myself so for about £20 this seems like a no brainer.

Soldato
So it passes a quick visual inspection. That's no proof it's not a fake. I'd rather not take the chance with something that has the propensity to go up in flames.
I really do feel that people have a psychological hook on Apple and Apple official.

They didn't get the battery right in the first place, however there are plenty of other companies selling phones with the same sort of batteries without issues.

I don't think it's worth the time for companies to make iPhone battery fakes. They're quite specific in shape and size. They'll just be grey, batteries made to spec at the same factory to the same standards, just not authorised for sale into the third party sales channel.

Soldato
You're presenting your opinion as fact. It's not a fact. Apple have clearly stated that original parts are only available via themselves and Authorised Service Providers.

Anyway, cheap battery replacements with original parts now from Apple so the discussion is pretty redundant.

Soldato
You're presenting your opinion as fact. It's not a fact. Apple have clearly stated that original parts are only available via themselves and Authorised Service Providers.

Anyway, cheap battery replacements with original parts now from Apple so the discussion is pretty redundant.
Of course they're gonna say that. Why would they say anything otherwise?

Soldato
OP
Letter from Apple : https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

$29 Battery replacements from late January for a year. I'd assume £29 here.

So, funny story - I didn't bite the bullet yesterday because I figured Apple might offer something - kinda hoped it would be free :D

Anyway, this is just perfect though. Only thing is having to wait until the end of January, hoping the offer is extended to the UK AND that I'm able to book it in soon enough once the floodgates open.

Soldato
Car batteries are also made to a standard spec and are off the shelf parts that are not exclusive to any particular brand or car.

The thing with the 'official' parts is that if they are genuine Apple parts they would have leaked out of the supply chain somehow. Genuine parts are only available directly from Apple or an Authorised Apple seller. Lets not kid ourselves this is fraud or theft and not something we should be supporting.

I also cant believe that the batteries are made in the same factory, to the same spec as the Apple ones and sold to the grey market. This isn't some poorly managed public sector contract, Apple will have exclusivity on their design and specification. The company producing the batteries will be contractually obliged to not do this and if this was happening they would not be producing apple products any more.

It's more likely that the they have reversed engineered the genuine battery and made to a similar specification by a 3rd party. There is only so many ways these are made and are similar year to year so it wouldn't be that hard to do.

Anyone selling 'genuine' apple batteries are either a) committing fraud themselves by passing off something that isn't genuine as genuine or b) someone in their supply chain is committing the said criminal act. I can't honestly believe that anyone in the phone repair industry doesn't already know this.

Soldato
Apple Store - £79. Book it in and they'll do it within a couple hours.

How about £10 on eBay. Takes about 6-8 minutes.

£79 for couple hours, you cant be serious. It's a 3 minute job if you're a professional. No doubt apple trying to manipulate people by making them wait 2 hours for a 3 minute job to make it seem like they're getting their money's worth. Sickening.

Soldato
Have you been cut off from civilisation for the last week? Apple apologised and cut the price to £29. ;)

As for the two hours thing, no problem for me. Definitely no sickness, just planned around it. I left the phone with them and went and did my Christmas shopping so it was absolutely no inconvenience whatsoever.

Soldato
So it passes a quick visual inspection. That's no proof it's not a fake. I'd rather not take the chance with something that has the propensity to go up in flames.

So I'm guessing ALL your batteries in your house are apple batteries??? :D

You honestly think no one else can make a safe battery other than Apple?

Seriously amazing how effective their manipulation is.

Have you been cut off from civilisation for the last week? Apple apologised and cut the price to £29. ;)

That's irrelevant to the point. It was still £79 and they have been charging people for the failure of their inferiorly designed batteries which degrade beyond use just after 12 months lol.

It's not exactly hard to make a battery which exceeds specifications and can yield several years of use. If you under-engineer a battery then that is very sickening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The trolling is strong with you tonight. You also seem very prone to sickness.

I've got an old PowerBook and a 3rd gen iPod with Newertech batteries in. They're about a reputable a make as you'll find for replacing long unavailable OEM batteries. I won't touch eBay ones. Tried them for the PowerBook, and after trying three from two vendors I still hadn't got a working one.

Back
Top Bottom