Anyone replaced an iPhone 6 battery?

Soldato
Just posting facts. Not trolling at all.

It really isn't hard to engineer a battery so it can last several years in it's intended application. If you think that fact is a "troll" then you must be a fan boy.

Good thing Apple doesn't make car batteries. If they did they'd be MASSIVELY under-engineered for their intended purpose and be completely useless after 12 months. Meanwhile car batteries are engineered for their intended purpose and last decades.

Soldato
As you are posting facts, the what's your credible source for the assertion Apple batteries are "MASSIVELY under-engineered" and that it causes you sickness?

Car batteries last decades? I've never had one that lasted more than 7 years. They're also lead-acid technology ... which has been around since the mid 19th Century ... back when people shared outside toilets.

Soldato
As you are posting facts, the what's your credible source for the assertion Apple batteries are "MASSIVELY under-engineered" and that it causes you sickness?

Umm. The fact that Apple's battery becomes so useless in as little as 12 months, so useless that they have to resort to killing half the performance of the phone just so it stays on. That is evidence of an under-engineered battery.

As has been repeatedly explained, you just need to make a suitably engineered battery, and it's not hard. Back when I had a nokia 3210, nokia could have chosen to use a battery the size of a peanut, but they didn't. They engineered a perfectly capable battery for it's intended purpose and it would last weeks.

And causing sickness? Are you serious? What I meant was Apple's business practice is sickening. I can't believe you've accused me of trolling and then you start talking about literal sickness as if I'm accusing apple of sending out biological viruses. Goodness me :D

Car batteries last decades? I've never had one that lasted more than 7 years. They're also lead-acid technology ... which has been around since the mid 19th Century ... back when people shared outside toilets.

"which has been around since mid 19th century"? Seriously? This phrase just proves how manipulated you are. You gauge the suitability of a battery for a task based on how new/radical/advanced the technology is, and not simply whether it is actually engineered to be suitable for the task.

There's a reason car batteries are engineered the way they are, the age of the technology has nothing to do with anything.

Soldato
Umm. The fact that Apple's battery becomes so useless in as little as 12 months, so useless that they have to resort to killing half the performance of the phone just so it stays on. That is evidence of an under-engineered battery.

As has been repeatedly explained, you just need to make a suitably engineered battery, and it's not hard. Back when I had a nokia 3210, nokia could have chosen to use a battery the size of a peanut, but they didn't. They engineered a perfectly capable battery for it's intended purpose and it would last weeks.

And causing sickness? Are you serious? What I meant was Apple's business practice is sickening. I can't believe you've accused me of trolling and then you start talking about literal sickness as if I'm accusing apple of sending out biological viruses. Goodness me :D

OK, so no credible source. Just representing your opinion as fact. Cool. Glad we cleared that up. :cool:

And the second bit was a joke. ;)

"which has been around since mid 19th century"? Seriously? This phrase just proves how manipulated you are. You gauge the suitability of a battery for a task based on how new/radical/advanced the technology is, and not simply whether it is actually engineered to be suitable for the task.

There's a reason car batteries are engineered the way they are, the age of the technology has nothing to do with anything.

I like how you ignored me calling you out on the car batteries last for decades quote and made up in your head that I gauge the suitability of the battery for a task based on the age of the technology? I'm well aware of the reasons 99.9% cars still use lead-acid batteries.

Feel free to reply, I'm not going to waste any more time replying...

Soldato
OK, so no credible source. Just representing your opinion as fact. Cool. Glad we cleared that up. :cool:

Seriously?

So the fact that apple are halving performance of their iPhone so their teeny-weenly little under-engineered battery can keep up, is all happening in my head?

Amazing. It's a good think you're not going to waste any more time replying. I appreciate it.

Man of Honour
I swapped the battery out on my 4S a few years ago and was easy, hoping it’s more or less the same for my 6S, although being about two years old hopefully it’s still ok for a bit. I’ll wait for the update to see the status of it.

As much as the drop in price is welcomed, it would have to be free for me to step into one of their stores, so will just DIY it again.

Soldato

I don’t even know what you mean by ‘under-engineered’ battery but I see you are trolling another thread.

It’s battery degradation that causes the problem, which happens to all batteries, everywhere in the world, and is not something Apple can magically fix.

Soldato
a lot of stress in this thread non official batteries...thing is, physics says sensibly cheap batteries will be as near as makes no difference to apple ones......£15 - £20 mark.

Why? Required voltage and cell count...there will be a specific amount of cells in the battery to supply the required power at the right volts and the battery chemistry must be of a certain quality to achieve this....that's it.

There's not much fancy technology in a battery, they've not changed in years, maybe an apple one might last 10 mins longer at best.

Done lots of changes to friends iPhones and the cheaper ones I did last no different to other friends who went official.....hell there probably made in the same factory.....apple might plug them into a battery tester to check it's supplying the right voltage and capacity then declare it offical....(At best)

But no sense in other suppliers in making 'worse' ones otherwise the phone wouldn't function.

Soldato
I don’t even know what you mean by ‘under-engineered’ battery but I see you are trolling another thread.

It’s battery degradation that causes the problem, which happens to all batteries, everywhere in the world, and is not something Apple can magically fix.

Sure they can - asim said so, but couldn't back it up with a credible source. So it must be true right? "It isn't hard to engineer a battery", so I eagerly await the £10 AsimCorp iPhone battery that "lasts for several years" and the £50 car battery that "lasts for decades", out by the end of this quarter.

Caporegime
Not yet but i'm booked in for Thursday to have it done.

Latest benchmarks show i'm almost at 50% performance as far as CPU is concerned, not surprised it's running like a dog with iOS11.

Soldato
Just FYI,

I purchased the iFixit kit sometime last year and it took like 10 minutes to replace the battery. Still works great. Though now that Apple have reduced the price to £25, it's a no brainer to get them to do it.

Personally I don't see a problem with their way of dealing with the inevitable degradation of lithium ion batteries. It's better than when they used to just die at 30%.

Soldato

Maybe you should get your facts from places which aren't trying to make money off you. Again, if you think i'm trolling then you are a fan boy. I'm just here stating facts.

By "under-engineered" battery I mean a battery which has been produced which will not last at least 4-5 years for its intended purpose despite degredation. It means a battery which falls below the baseline voltage requirements of an electronic system after as little as 12 months.

Yes battery degradation happens to all batteries, but it's only a problem if the battery is under-engineered. If you increase the nominal voltage of a battery by even a small amount, you can very easily mitigate the disabling effects of voltage drop which may manifest after just 12 months. The effects of voltage drop being sudden shutdown of the electronics due to under-voltage.

Sure they can - asim said so, but couldn't back it up with a credible source. So it must be true right? "It isn't hard to engineer a battery", so I eagerly await the £10 AsimCorp iPhone battery that "lasts for several years" and the £50 car battery that "lasts for decades", out by the end of this quarter.
Lmao who's trolling now. fan boy.

You can absolutely extend the time before failure.

... not total battery failure, but failure to provide enough voltage/current for the electronic system it is required to power.

I guess this is what happens when you get your facts from salesmen. It appears that everyone else is just a troll attacking your product.

Soldato
Maybe you should get your facts from places which aren't trying to make money off you. Again, if you think i'm trolling then you are a fan boy. I'm just here stating facts.

By "under-engineered" battery I mean a battery which has been produced which will not last at least 4-5 years for its intended purpose despite degredation. It means a battery which falls below the baseline voltage requirements of an electronic system after as little as 12 months.

Yes battery degradation happens to all batteries, but it's only a problem if the battery is under-engineered. If you increase the nominal voltage of a battery by even a small amount, you can very easily mitigate the disabling effects of voltage drop which may manifest after just 12 months. The effects of voltage drop being sudden shutdown of the electronics due to under-voltage.

So how do you increase the battery voltage?

Soldato
So how do you increase the battery voltage?

Wow. Are you seriously asking that question?

If their batteries were so crap that they cant even supply enough voltage to even keep the electronics ON, after as little as 12 months then maybe they need to
use multi-cells.

Oh wait, they have started using multi-cells in the new Iphone X. You must be thinking using multi-cell to increase voltage is some radical new technology apple just invented a few months ago, right? :D

Soldato
It's fine, I'll let the mods deal with it.

What's the matter? You called me a troll for criticising and questioning APPLE. I wasn't initially personally talking about you. I only called you a fan boy because you started talking about me personally with your asimcorp nonsense.

I'm here trying to have an adult discussion about battery technology. You're just here getting defensive about apple.

Soldato
No, I called you a troll for wandering into a thread and picking a fight based on inaccurate information.

I'll quote it for you :
How about £10 on eBay. Takes about 6-8 minutes.

£79 for couple hours, you cant be serious. It's a 3 minute job if you're a professional. No doubt apple trying to manipulate people by making them wait 2 hours for a 3 minute job to make it seem like they're getting their money's worth. Sickening.

Apple made the public apology and dropped the price 4 days before you posted those inflammatory comments.

Now for the definition of a troll from Wikipedia :
In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3]often for the troll's amusement.

If the hat fits... ;)

Soldato
Wow. Are you seriously asking that question?

If their batteries were so crap that they cant even supply enough voltage to even keep the electronics ON, after as little as 12 months then maybe they need to
use multi-cells.

Oh wait, they have started using multi-cells in the new Iphone X. You must be thinking using multi-cell to increase voltage is some radical new technology apple just invented a few months ago, right? :D

What’s wrong with asking the question? Yes using multiple different batteries increases the voltage. Why would I think Apple invented it?

Soldato
No, I called you a troll for wandering into a thread and picking a fight based on inaccurate information.

I'll quote it for you :

Apple made the public apology and dropped the price 4 days before you posted those inflammatory comments.

Are you for real?

Everything in that post you have quoted is factually correct.

"How about £10 on eBay." - There are batteries on ebay for £10~
"Takes about 6-8 minutes." - It took me about 7 minutes to replace my battery 6 months ago.

"£79 for couple hours, you cant be serious." - I am expressing my concerns about about general value for money here.
"It's a 3 minute job if you're a professional." - You can watch youtube videos of people changing iphone batteries, takes minutes.

"No doubt apple trying to manipulate people by making them wait 2 hours for a 3 minute job to make it seem like they're getting their money's worth." - Well you're the one who said it takes them a couple hours.

I have provided a full breakdown of my post sentence by sentence. If you really think those comments are "inflammatory" lol then you are a fan boy.

Back
Top Bottom