• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone run a 1080ti with an i7 930?

Soldato
OP
I assume this will all go in my Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case.

Mobo's still the same shape these days etc?

If I was to buy a new PSU, is there one that's recommended for this setup?

Cheers,

G

Soldato
Your case and psu should be fine, power consumption on the new setup will be similar this is assuming you have a good psu. For good psu reviews check out.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

You can also use the psu calc to work out what you need and also factor in capacitor ageing if your current psu is fairly old.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Allot of newer decent psu's are semi fanless where by the fan wont spin up till it reaches a certain load or temp. Well worth going for one of these if you value low noise.

Permabanned
Thanks dude :) I just bought this one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-012-ea.html

Figured I can put all my old stuff in my old old case and give it to my Son so he will need a PSU.

This one has a 10 year warranty which is always nice :) didn't think about how loud it is tbh, hope it's quiet tho!

Although the sound proofing on the case does work well tbh.

They're great PSU's, I've got the 650w model which was replacing an old bronze rated TX850 as I wanted to go modular and don't need more than that as I'm never going back to a dual card set-up, Today I'd of bought the G3 though not the G2. Or maybe not, I wonder why the G3 only has a 5 year warranty? My G2 650 has a 7 year warranty but to be honest I'd of bought the G2 750 if I'd noticed the extra 3 years.

Soldato
OP
Ah man I forgot to get a drive.... what's the quickest storage I can get to work with this motherboard please?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170

Cheers,

G

Soldato
Anyone know if I will need a better PSU going from:

i7 930 + GTX780
to:
i7 6700K + GTX 1080ti

Also does anyone know if the 1080ti just has the same power connectors as the 780?

I thought power consumption was getting less with new tech, but I don't know tbh.

Thanks,

G

Why you bought a 2y old 4 core CPU with a dead end motherboard and socket, for £200-300 MORE money than a new tech 6-8 core CPU/Mobo that will be supported until 2020 with new CPUs?
Especially now the games scale nicely on multiple cores/threads, buying a 4c for that money makes no sense.

Soldato
Why you bought a 2y old 4 core CPU with a dead end motherboard and socket, for £200-300 MORE money than a new tech 6-8 core CPU/Mobo that will be supported until 2020 with new CPUs?
Especially now the games scale nicely on multiple cores/threads, buying a 4c for that money makes no sense.

I did tell him :p

Soldato
OP
I genuinely don't know what to do now. There is no way on earth I will be upgrading again before 2020. I just wanted to get the best thing for gaming right now. If I've made the wrong decision it's a LOT of money to be unhappy with.

Genuinely... what do people think I should buy? A proper list with prices would be very helpful.

I'll need CPU, MOBO, RAM and Cooler.

At the moment I'm spending £564 I don't really want to go above that. If you're saying I could have gone Ryzen for £200-300 less than that then it sounds like a no-brainer. But I find that hard to believe that they are that cheap at the moment.

thanks,

Alex

Last edited:
Caporegime
Personally I would wait on the cpu etc. purchases, yes it will be holding the 1080ti back but imo, the improvements you get from a new CPU aren't going to be worth £500+. You would definitely need to overclock the i7 930 to at least 4GHz though.

There are still very few games that benefit from all these new CPUs, the main ones being open world poorly optimised games like arma, squad, player unknown etc.

GTA 5 should already be running at a constant 60 fps on a 780 @ 2560x1080 80/90% of the time (as long as you have reduced the settings that bring no benefit to IQ but kill FPS i.e. the grass setting), my 290 with an i5 750 @ 4GHz achieves this except for a couple of areas where FPS drops to 43 (literally 1-3 certain areas where you have to be standing in a certain place and facing a certain direction), plus if nvidia can further improve their dx 12/vulkan performance, any future titles using these APIs should run great with that combination.

I would rather put the money you save towards a 3440x1440 21.9 gsync screen (which will be very gpu bound then), far more worth while use of £500+ imo

Permabanned
I'd of waited for the 6 core Coffeelake rather than buy a 4 core Skylake cpu today if you want to go Intel, after all you have an i7 that's perfectly okay in the short term.

The other options mentioned are from AMD's new Ryzen range, An 8 core 16 thread or 6 core 12 thread can be had at very good prices.

8 core 16 thread
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39x-am.html

6 core 12 thread
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39z-am.html

Motherboard options
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/motherboards/amd/am4-x370-b350

Soldato
OP
Argh, maybe I should just cancel.

Refund won't be back for a week or so, that will give me more time to think.

Soldato
What you have gone for is rated as the fastest gaming cpu so it's by no means a bad choice. More cores will be better down the road but you will loose out on overall clockspeed as the i7 will clock allot higher than ryzen does which caps at 4.0ghz. Either choices are good ones and both have pluses and minuses. The main thing is you will get the full performance from your 1080ti with a new cpu setup.

Soldato
OP
hmm the delivery hasn't arrived yet, but I'm genuinely torn.

Given I won't be upgrading again until I have another huge win, or there is some massive leap in requirements for new games I can't see sticking with what I've ordered being a problem.

Soldato
Loads of written reviews/youtube reviews out there of ryzen and 7700k and some newer ones are with the 1080ti. I dont think you can go wrong with either option.

Associate
Nothing wrong with what you've ordered, and you got some nice pricing with the cashback offer etc. There's always going to be something better on the horizon..

Get it built and enjoy it for years to come!

Back
Top Bottom