• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone run a 1080ti with an i7 930?

Soldato
OP
In that case new rig tonight :D

At the end of the day it's cost me £10 so I doubt I'll be complaining any time soon :D

Soldato
Was in a sort of similar boat myself. I wanted an ITX build but ideally I wanted a Ryzen setup. However there's only one ITX Ryzen board which doesn't really grab me and I'm an impatient **** so didn't really want to wait. I just went for a 7700K and I'm happy with that decision. If I want to upgrade it to a 6 core Coffeelake in a few months then going by the prices of 2nd hand i7s I'm sure I'd still get a decent bit of money back for that making it a semi-affordable upgrade anyway. Of course, that's assuming Coffeelake works on existing 1151 boards, who knows.

As others have said you'll be fine with what you've got and it'll serve you well. I wouldn't worry.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
In a similar situation myself and with the current cashback and ryzen teething issues I'm looking at intel too.

Can get a 7700k and ASUS Z170 hero board for 350 after cashback and suspect it'll be something I can sell for 200 in 18 months time.

150 quid over 18 months isn't so bad :)

Enjoy it!

Soldato
OP
DRsnPVW.jpg
Rig looks like this. Was wondering about air-flow.

Would people have the green fan at the back taking air out or pulling air in?

At the moment the two fans at the front pull air into the case, the two on the rad that you can see push air out the case and there are two on the other side of the rad that you can't see which pull air through the rad and out of the top of the case.

The big fan at the back pushes air out the back of the case currently.

Just wondered if that is the best way or not?

Cheers,

G

Soldato
OP
The blanking plate at the back that is missing is because I haven't decided if I should put my ASUS XONAR DGX sound card back in or not.

Would the on-board sound on this mobo be better than the DGX anyways? Or should it put the sound card back in?

Thanks,

G

Soldato
The blanking plate at the back that is missing is because I haven't decided if I should put my ASUS XONAR DGX sound card back in or not.

Would the on-board sound on this mobo be better than the DGX anyways? Or should it put the sound card back in?

Thanks,

G

I have a Gigabyte Z170M Gaming 5 motherboard and the onboard sound with the additional software is a lot better than a DGX I tried in there. Onboard sound has come along way. I had to go to a Soundblaster Z to notice an upgrade on sound clarity.

Soldato
OP
Deffo need a monitor upgrade with that rig... a 1080ti is overkill if you're staying at 1080p @ 60hz. Nice rig though dude

Thanks man :)

I'm at 2560x1080 at the moment, but yeah at 60hz. Can easily OC to 75hz if any improvement will be seen?

I have a Gigabyte Z170M Gaming 5 motherboard and the onboard sound with the additional software is a lot better than a DGX I tried in there. Onboard sound has come along way. I had to go to a Soundblaster Z to notice an upgrade on sound clarity.

If Soundblaster Z is better than both I will just buy that instead cheers :)

Associate
Most people seem to notice a difference from 60hz to 75hz, however I've seen a few people state that they can't. Try it for yourself, let us know. :)

If you want your 1080ti to last for say 4 or 5 years playing games at max settings, keep the monitor you have now. Otherwise get a 4k 21:9 monitor and enjoy.

Also I wouldn't personally bother getting a new soundcard, unless you primarily use some decent headphones. Soundcard differences are minimal when using speakers IMO.

Soldato
OP
Most people seem to notice a difference from 60hz to 75hz, however I've seen a few people state that they can't. Try it for yourself, let us know. :)

If you want your 1080ti to last for say 4 or 5 years playing games at max settings, keep the monitor you have now. Otherwise get a 4k 21:9 monitor and enjoy.

Also I wouldn't personally bother getting a new soundcard, unless you primarily use some decent headphones. Soundcard differences are minimal when using speakers IMO.

Cheers dude :)

I will give it a try.

I love my current monitor just wish it was higher refresh.

I only use headphones with my PC. I have Sennheiser PC161s at the moment, they are very good, but they are open backed. Which are horrible at LANs so I want to get something that will block out the sound of the LAN I have a set of Technics RP-DJ1200s which I could potentially use. They are old but were very well regarded back in the day. I don't know if they will still hold their own against the likes of the Beyerdynamics DT770s or Fostex RP40s....anyone know?

Cheers,

G

Back
Top Bottom