Anyone shop at Aldi?

Permabanned
This is the real reason the OP posted this though ;)

It's BS though.

I have family that live in Plymouth so visit regularly. They happen to live within minutes of this place. It's generally full of of average day cars (mondeos, bmws etc).

He just thinks his Audi is special, where as in reality it's just an average family car.

Caporegime
I remember back in the 90s if any kids ever saw someone with an aldi bag they would shout "ALDI" to them :D with the same tone as you would shout "baldy"

Soldato
If you already buy own-brand goods and smartprice goods, ALDI isn't really any cheaper. That's why their adverts compare against branded goods. They also treat their staff like ****.

Caporegime
the Aldi near us sells really good cereal :p but we tend to shop at a bigger supermarket because we need more fresh stuff than aldi stocks

lies the only good thing about aldi is the moment you leave the carpark without being spotted by someone you know

Associate
I am thinking of shopping there from now on because a weekly shop for me is around £150 at Tesco and at Aldi that would cost me.... £30. + £10 more in fuel = £40. £110 saving per week...

I think you've gone a little OTT here. The discounters are cheaper but not 20% of the price.

Man of Honour
Basically, everything is 4-5x cheaper than Tesco and yet, not only do you get more of it (for example cereal boxes are filled all the way to the top and not halfway up like Frosties) but there aren't any E numbers or preservatives in any of the foodstuffs!!!!

Or they just don't bother to list them.

Used to be good for cheaper (but not ****) alcohol, snacks, etc. for parties and so on. And the odd other things i.e. Lidl sometimes has these amazing cheese and bacon baguette thingies that I've not seen anywhere else.

Caporegime
There's nothing interesting in Plymouth.

Other than the sound, the hoe, the barbican and the beaches/cliffs around it. Not to mention Dartmoor and Cornwall just to the west. More interesting than London TBH...;)

I always find Lidl and Aldi (in this country at least) resemble dumps inside with stuff piled up or thrown in big/wrong containers. I'm not sure whether it's a lack of staff to clear up or the people that mostly frequent them. As for food I'm not sure. I always base quality of food on how much wheat stuff contains. Its a cheap filler that is used to bulk stuff up as cheap as possible. Asda and Morrison's are awful, everything is full of it, for example Morrison's don't do a single beefburger (no, not even the 100% Beef...) without wheat in. Iceland is just as bad. M&S on the other hand rarely use wheat in anything unless they need to, almost all beefburgers and sausages don't contain any. Tesco is ok, as are Sainsburys, Waitrose is in between Sainsburys and M&S. You get what you pay for...

Aldi and Lidl in Germany on the other hand are nice shops, still "budget" but more like Tesco etc.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Is this not the same op that had a moan about people using 2 parking bays for 1 car ...
No.
I did have a moan about someone who wasn't disabled parking their range rover in the gap between 2 disabled bays though. Maybe you are confused?

Permabanned
OP
Other than the sound, the hoe, the barbican and the beaches/cliffs around it. Not to mention Dartmoor and Cornwall just to the west. More interesting than London TBH...;)
I am sure all of those are really interesting in drizzly fog.

Caporegime
I am sure all of those are really interesting in drizzly fog.

It's not that bad down there. It more than makes up for it in summer.

Keep telling yourself that ;)

I wish I was there. :( Far more interesting than London. Although the shopping is dire compared to Central London. Far better than your average town though...

If I had the choice between moving back to Plymouth or staying in London I would take Plymouth in a heartbeat. Mostly because of the coast and Dartmoor I'll admit!

Man of Honour
Snacks and veg is what they're best for. Especially Lidl and occasionally the one off promotions they run on branded tools and whatnot. They had the renowned Nilfisk pressure washer a while back for something like £40 when everywhere else had it for £60.

I always get custard creams from Lidl. The Tower Gate brand is simply the best and I've tried every other brand from the other supermarkets. Lidl also now have an in store bakery which produces Krispy Kreme clones which taste every bit as good as the branded one except they cost 25p each and are baked that day.

Outstanding.

The only downside is that the tills are virtually always undermanned. 5 rows of checkouts and only 1 or 2 cashiers on them? They're also always miserable faced.

Soldato
Hold on, did you live with your folks?

How are you spending that much on food? And if you're living alone, £150 for one person is way to much!

Back
Top Bottom