Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Soldato
Here is my 80/20 BT line:

asusn_zpspksp1h7n.jpg

Associate
This device just falls apart for me when the weather is poor, 5 hours uptime, 50 thousand CRC down errors and it's just resynced again. Might be time to sell up and move on.

if the DLM has not kicked in to lower your speed, try set higher the snr target with the stability adjustment, manually (to higher lever value) so it may be more stable

Last edited:
Associate
This never fails to disappoint , fine for a week then thousands of errors a day so that's it , ive put the old eci modem back until i get a good , working vdsl combo with decent qos and stats. Any suggestions?

Soldato
This never fails to disappoint , fine for a week then thousands of errors a day so that's it , ive put the old eci modem back until i get a good , working vdsl combo with decent qos and stats. Any suggestions?
Netgear D7000 is rock solid, does not have the depth of settings the ASUS does though it does have QOS and any stats other then the basic attenuation, SNR can be had with "dslstats".

There is a thread about in this section of the forum.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got the d7000 also which has been rock solid. Agree that they are lacking in some key features the Asus had.
I'm still waiting for the new Billion to arrive which was meant to be out Q2/Q3 2015 but looks like its slipped to Q1 2016.

Associate
@babis3g does the firmware you have currently have a new DSL Driver ? CRC Errors are through the roof on the DSL-AC68U that i have no matter what settings are applied.

Thought i'd ask before boxing the think up and sending it back to where i got it from and replacing with another router like a D7000 from netgear.

Associate
I'm surprised this thread is still going strong with people falling foul of this product despite almost 90 pages of bad experiences. It's been out over a year now with no real improvement in stability and will probably cease to get updates soon. Best thing I did was take mine back to store for a refund as it's unfit for purpose.

Associate
CRC errors going through the roof on downstream with VDSL2 is a problem that's existed a long time that ASUS either doesn't know how to fix, or won't fix.

The only workarounds I've found are to either:
- Have a G.INP enabled downstream (if you're on an ECI cabinet then you may never get G.INP, it's only those on Huawei cabinets that have so far unfortunately)
- Increase SNRM target to at least 12dB or higher
- Switch from fastpath to interleaved on the downstream (worse for pings and lose some downstream sync rate)
- Not use the ASUS DSL-AC68U as a VDSL2 modem

Otherwise, I don't know. I don't think the latest unofficial beta will fix this still, nor will continuing to send error reports to ASUS about this problem :(. I live in hope that one day they will find a solution to this, for now I'm using a Draytek.

With my Draytek Vigor 2860Vac, I have noticed an odd problem. When I first moved house and had a new FTTC install, it was fastpath. After a week or so I had an error spike at one point, this caused DLM to unfortunately intervene and put interleaving (INP 3, delay 8ms) on the downstream. Once this was removed a short time later, fastpath never returned. My HG612 reports fastpath (INP 0, delay 1ms), but my Draytrek reports INP 1.5, delay 8ms. The profile DLM uses after interleaving has been applied at least once, for returning to fastpath again, must not be the same profile as when it is initially installed on fastpath, therefore causing this wierd bug I have noticed. Not sure whether I should report it to Draytek or not.

Last edited:
Associate
I also gave up a while ago with this, but as regards an alternative, I think I will stick to a separate modem and router now. I'm running the Asus RT-AC87U with the original Openreach modem and it is perfectly stable. Router resets (e.g. firmware upgrades) don't affect anything as the modem is still sitting there connected quite happily.

I have a spare modem tucked away in case the existing one fails, and if the router itself ever went wonky I can connect a PC directly via the modem to at least be online.

The all-in-one solutions are great, but having gone back to separate modem and router I think that's how I'll be staying. More plugs and more wires but ultimately more resilient and definitely less grief.

Soldato
I ditched my AC-56U as it kept crashing out constantly, I thought it was faulty. So I got the AC-68U, had it for a few months then ditched that as it had the exact same issue...

So I heard out the TP-Link Archer VR900 which came out circa July this year? It's a fantastic router that just works as it should, no wifi drop-outs, no loss of sync. I keep singing it's praises but it deserves it.

I think most people (I did for a few months) just keep hold of the ASUS as it was so almost there, great features, nifty little things it had and the UI was nice.

Yet firmware update after firmware update, they can't rectify simple issues that every other manufacturers deem trivial...

Last edited:
Associate
@babis3g does the firmware you have currently have a new DSL Driver ? CRC Errors are through the roof on the DSL-AC68U that i have no matter what settings are applied.

Thought i'd ask before boxing the think up and sending it back to where i got it from and replacing with another router like a D7000 from netgear.
the latest drivers are FwVer:5.5.1.135_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.1
Sorry for late reply but did not came earlier in here
The latest firmware i have is a new beta with added traffic analyser but the drivers are the same as the latest 2 officials, no any newer in this part of dsl
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/8FBE0E9EEC0444D0893F8A2B3439881D4
CRC errors going through the roof on downstream with VDSL2 is a problem that's existed a long time that ASUS either doesn't know how to fix, or won't fix.

The only workarounds I've found are to either:
- Have a G.INP enabled downstream (if you're on an ECI cabinet then you may never get G.INP, it's only those on Huawei cabinets that have so far unfortunately)
- Increase SNRM target to at least 12dB or higher
- Switch from fastpath to interleaved on the downstream (worse for pings and lose some downstream sync rate)
- Not use the ASUS DSL-AC68U as a VDSL2 modem

Otherwise, I don't know. I don't think the latest unofficial beta will fix this still, nor will continuing to send error reports to ASUS about this problem :(. I live in hope that one day they will find a solution to this, for now I'm using a Draytek...

There is a user here in Greece ( i don't have vdsl line) and because there is not DLM he always lower the snr (and the modem is still stable for his line)
He is reporting with almost every firmware he tried ...

when he change stability adjustment (vdsl) to 4 via the normal menu (latest beta is able to go lower at 4 so this example rates value is with this firmware)...
the modem reports lower Max Rate (attainable rates) 61000
speed 49999
and with in 1 hour errors are about 70 crc
(snr for his line 4.2 db)

When he does a trick via the browser with inspect element and adds at stability value 1536 equal to 4 at the menu (512 each step at inspect element)
he gets around same snr 4 db
modem reports higher Max Rate 72000
speed 49999
and with in 1 hour he gets around 10 crc errors ... so way less

He s claiming this is happening with almost every firmware

I have reported to Asus but i don't know if they willing to investigate

(photo is from an older model i had but is just to get an idea what i mean)
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/n55u speed up 1_zpsrqt4hjnp.png
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/n55u spped up 2_zpsfinwuawp.png

Last edited:
Soldato
what about a modem with the vdsl stats ? is there anything good on the market , seeing as ive got the asus and its great as a router

I think the HG612 is pretty much your best bet and should only cost between £20 and £30. I asked about this before and was told HG612 all day long but that was around 8 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom