• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anything 50% faster than 1080 ti?

Permabanned
I think your Titan-craziness has shifted your sights somewhat. I'd definitely say a 1080 is a high-end GFX card - especially as it was the flagship when the range launched. 1060 & 1070 are mid-range, IMHO.

No, they weren't the high-end parts... they just released the mid-range parts months ahead of the high-end parts like they have since the 6xx series.

Just because the new generation mid-range is a bit faster than the previous generation top-range doesn't make them top range, it just makes them well-performing mid parts.

Before then they would release the high-end part first and then trickle out the others.

It's a result of Nvidia having no real competition any more... they're doing it to milk their consumers.

Associate
It's not that many years ago when you could easily expect the next round of cards to well over 50% faster. If peeps stopped buying all this "drip drip" improvement then they would soon get the message that 10% or 20% just isn't good enough.

Agreed, lack of competition and fanboyism is what causes it. Its amazing how someone can hate on the comp while gladly excepting to be milked, then hype the small gains they get from their preferred company, while their company gets richer and greedier and laugh at them. Who in their right mind would be happy paying more for less!

Last edited:
Associate
The rating is related to the chip involved... which is essentially how much of the full size chip has been chopped off to make a smaller part.

980ti is the high-end of the previous generation... which now happens to perform similarly to the lower-mid range of the current generation (1070)

1080 is the mid-range part, which is 2/3 of the full-size chip.
1070 is also mid-range, also 2/3 of the full-size chip but with a portion disabled.

1060 is low-end

1050 is entry-level

Titan is "crazy person with money to burn-level" (says the guy with 2 of them)

so you took my "enthusiast level" and made it into "crazy person with money to burn-level". I think we're talking about the same thing to be honest ...

Permabanned
so you took my "enthusiast level" and made it into "crazy person with money to burn-level". I think we're talking about the same thing to be honest ...

Fundamentally the Titan X is still "high end" as it's the same chip as 1080ti. I was just poking fun about the early-adopter price :)

Agreed, lack of competition and fanboyism is what causes it. Its amazing how someone can hate on the comp while gladly excepting to be milked, then hype the small gains they get from their preferred company, while their company gets richer and greedier and at laugh them. Who in their right mind would be happy paying more for less!

As mentioned only a few posts ago... depending on the resolution - the 1080ti is seeing 50-100% performance gains over the 980ti.

That's hardly trickle... that's still a damn good jump between generations.

Maybe you thought we were talking about Intel? ;)

Permabanned
were lucky to get 20~30 % i think those giant leaps of 50 % or 70 % will remain in our memories doubt it will ever happen again .

1080ti is much more than 50% faster than a 980ti:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Lightning_Z/29.html

Look at 1440p as a middle ground not so CPU limited result:
980ti: 54%
Vanilla 1080ti: 93%
decent AIB 1080ti: 100%

The regular 1080ti is 100*93/54 = 72.2% faster than a 980ti
The good AIB 1080ti is 100*100/54 = 85.2% faster

Just don;t let facts get in the way of a god NVidia rant. The plain fact is the jump from amxwell to Pascal is actaully a larger increase in performance than the average gains seen between generations over the last 10+ years.

Soldato
I think your Titan-craziness has shifted your sights somewhat. I'd definitely say a 1080 is a high-end GFX card - especially as it was the flagship when the range launched. 1060 & 1070 are mid-range, IMHO.
Range is the operative word. The Titan is the top of the range. The 1070 and 1080 is middle of the range. The 1060 is bottom of the middle range. Then there are low or entry level cards that aren't really going to play games too well.

Enthusiast isn't a level. Anyone can be an enthusiast at any price point. This is why enthusiast isn't a price bracket or a tier. It's someone who is passionate about computer hardware regardless of how much money they can devote to it.

Soldato
1080ti is much more than 50% faster than a 980ti:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Lightning_Z/29.html

Look at 1440p as a middle ground not so CPU limited result:
980ti: 54%
Vanilla 1080ti: 93%
decent AIB 1080ti: 100%

The regular 1080ti is 100*93/54 = 72.2% faster than a 980ti
The good AIB 1080ti is 100*100/54 = 85.2% faster

Just don;t let facts get in the way of a god NVidia rant. The plain fact is the jump from amxwell to Pascal is actaully a larger increase in performance than the average gains seen between generations over the last 10+ years.
I think you think you're having a go at me...

I was saying that I think the 1080Ti is more than 50% faster than the 980Ti...

Associate
Fundamentally the Titan X is still "high end" as it's the same chip as 1080ti. I was just poking fun about the early-adopter price :)

As mentioned only a few posts ago... depending on the resolution - the 1080ti is seeing 50-100% performance gains over the 980ti.

That's hardly trickle... that's still a damn good jump between generations.

Maybe you thought we were talking about Intel? ;)

Well I suppose your right about nvidia, and most definitely correct about intel. :D

Caporegime
Intel thought they had an insurmountable lead and focuseed R&D on diversification.

Nvidia are scared of Intel, AMD, Qualcom, Samsung, Google and other players taking the deep learning, autonomous car and HPC markets. Nvidia's product portfolio is still strongly linked to GPUs, and thus the R&D continues to make better gaming products. After all, that is where a majority of their revenue comes from. But it is the untapped billions in deep learning, AI, HP that Nvidia are worried about. That is why they have Vola on scheudle for HPC and DL markets, even if it meant producing a gigantic 800mm^2 chip.

Back
Top Bottom