AOC Q3279VWF - FreeSync,VA,qHD 31.5 inch monitor for £249! (ONLY £199 AT OcUK FOR BLACK FRIDAY)!!

Associate
You might want to try a different DisplayPort cable. They can be incredibly finicky at higher resolutions and refresh rates. Out of the four I have, only one will reliably do 1440p above 60Hz.

i received the new display port cable & i now can seriously notice GHOSTING even when web browsing !!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
Are you saying that the ghosting is different on different DP cables? Still 75hz? How about HDMI?

That's what I thought he was suggesting. But that, categorically, can not and will not happen. DP is a digital signal and there is absolutely no way a different cable could affect something like the pixel responsiveness of the monitor. The difference would be down to either the refresh rate, overdrive setting, difference in panel warmup time (yup, VA panels get a bit more responsive when they've been on for a while) or simply the user noticing 'issues' more readily. If they swap back to their old cable and make sure everything else is the same, there's no way there would be a difference in responsiveness.

Also note that HDMI is no different to DP in terms of responsiveness on this model. In fact it very rarely is, unless the user is using a sub-optimal colour signal (i.e. 'Limited Range RGB'). More applicable to Full HD models but still possible on WQHD models if they've messed with the wrong settings.

Associate
Are you saying that the ghosting is different on different DP cables? Still 75hz? How about HDMI?

PCM2 knows better i guess but i just noticed the monitor driver after i installed the new cable is no longer the AOC one it's generic monitor now so changing the cable must have reset this setting on the PC. anyway even with the new cable i'm still getting display error message when restarting pc & refresh rate is reset back to 60hz. i have ordered a 2nd cable which has good reviews will see what happens

Associate
Some folk including myself have been extending the freesync range on this monitor, as it has been claimed to work at extended range 30-75.
I have tried this with the adrenaline drivers 17.12.1 but i experienced flickering and stuttering.
In the newly released 17.12.2 Drivers this issue may of been fixed according to an RTG Engineer on reddit.
https://goo.gl/FPzBBy
Its to do with LFC
"AMD_Aric RTG Engineer 1 point 59 minutes ago
There is a stutter/flashing fix for Freesync for the case where you are running in LFC. Looks like it didn't make it into the patch notes, but let me know if it helps!"

I will try again tonight to see if I can get a stable extended range

most movies are 24 or 23.976

the big deal is that
1) you get freesync in low fps (thats good if you dont have a very good system like me).
2) it trigers LFC that grants you "freesync" (not actually but still better than nothing) on EVEN LOWER fps (it even works on 18fps for example).

freesync is not only about tearing, its about stuttering also and you get lots of it at low/very_low fps.

Associate
Hi

I just received my monitor. And when I run i-Menu it says that the monitor is a Q3279WG5B. On the panel it say Q3279VWF. Does everyone have the same information ?
I am also unable to update the driver (I am on Windows 10) it still says it is 1.0.0.0 25.06.2016 AOC Q3279WG5B

Does anyone have recommendations how to install the right driver (on the cd) ?

Thanks!

Associate
Hi

I just received my monitor. And when I run i-Menu it says that the monitor is a Q3279WG5B. On the panel it say Q3279VWF. Does everyone have the same information ?
I am also unable to update the driver (I am on Windows 10) it still says it is 1.0.0.0 25.06.2016 AOC Q3279WG5B

Does anyone have recommendations how to install the right driver (on the cd) ?

Thanks!

Mine says that too - searching around, the monitor seems to have been released in Asia in March this year under a slightly different model number (the one listed). I pulled up a foreign language review: http://playwares.com/dpreview/53168127

Check out page 10, there is a response time measurement across all overdrive ranges. WBW is absolutely abysmal on all of them, which probably explains the ghosting.

Some comments on a Oz forum should be very familiar! https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2612416

Associate
Thanks! I applied the icm from the pcmonitor report and so far it looks good.. I just cant seem to get the right font size that is still crisp. When its 200% its very sharp - but VERY big. I am running this as an extension to a laptop 4k screen - so it might take time to get used to the resolution mismatch..

What would be the optimal setting ? I have 75Hz and 2560x1440 fonts at 200%

Associate
Some folk including myself have been extending the freesync range on this monitor, as it has been claimed to work at extended range 30-75.
I have tried this with the adrenaline drivers 17.12.1 but i experienced flickering and stuttering.
In the newly released 17.12.2 Drivers this issue may of been fixed according to an RTG Engineer on reddit.
https://goo.gl/FPzBBy
Its to do with LFC
"AMD_Aric RTG Engineer 1 point 59 minutes ago
There is a stutter/flashing fix for Freesync for the case where you are running in LFC. Looks like it didn't make it into the patch notes, but let me know if it helps!"

I will try again tonight to see if I can get a stable extended range

nice find, please try (also try 37hz if 30hz flicker).

anyone tried above 75hz? (display port only).

if this monitor can truly do 30-75 then its an even more crazy deal!

I updated drivers , edited frame rate to 30-75hz , limited frame rate for Unigine Superposition to 31hz so benchmark is in LFC range. Flickering non stop, repeated all the way to 37hz. Same thing.

Am I correct in saying this is the right way to test this?

Associate
yes. but looking at the pixel size its probably impossible to get decent looking fonts that are small... what size of fonts is everyone using ? 200% ? 150% ? thanks

Back
Top Bottom