AOC U2868PQU 4K unusable flickering

Associate
Hi

I just received my AOC U2868PQU from overclockers.co.uk and when I try to set my refresh rate to 60Hz I get very bad flickering and have to go back to 30hz.
The whole reason for buying this monitor is for the 60hz so the fact it doesn't work at all is most annoying!
I am using an R9 290 (also from overclockers) and the DP cable that came with it I am also using the latest AMD beta drivers on Win 8.1.
Does anybody know how to fix this as I may decide to simply return it and go back to 1080p as there is no point at all having 4k 30hz!

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Well I thought AMD had sorted out their driver problems years ago maybe not then.
If it's not fixed before the return date then I will return it, but hopefully by then AMD will have got their act together. I waited to by a 4K monitor for this reason but I suppose I must learn my lesson not to buy AMD if I want good support and drivers.
Anyway is there a way to easily find out when this issue has been addressed?

Soldato
Well I thought AMD had sorted out their driver problems years ago maybe not then.

?

You thought that years ago AMD solved ALL driver problems from that moment on for every product they would ever make going forwards?

Teething problems will happen with new hardware, it's bound to happen. At least AMD are big enough to admit theres an issue and try to work on it.

Mobster
Soldato
?

You thought that years ago AMD solved ALL driver problems from that moment on for every product they would ever make going forwards?

Teething problems will happen with new hardware, it's bound to happen. At least AMD are big enough to admit theres an issue and try to work on it.

AMD admitted nothing, it was brought to their attention and are looking to fix. That right there is a shoddy driver that AMD messed up on. No-one else did.

Associate
I am having the same problem with this monitor. Tried everything 3 different mini dp to dp results in a flickering screen. I even bought a additional 290x with a full size dp socket, still flickers like mad. Purchased a high quality cable rated for dp 1.2. didn't help. I think I am going to wait and see if AMD can fix this issue quickly or like the op consider returning the Monitor.

Associate
OP
I imagine the update will be out in the next beta driver there hasn't been one of those since may 23 so hopefully it will be soon.
If I was the one selling these monitors I would not be pleased about this at all I hope overclockers is getting on to AMD about this or soon they will have two of these returned!

Associate
Nvidia GPU`s and 4K monitors are not with out problems. Like I have said before the interest in 4K monitors has caught AMD and Nivida a sleep on the job they both should have had drivers ready for 4K monitors some months back.

Associate
OP
I have done further testing and the problem is not with AMD's drivers.
I know this because at the boot screen it outputs the full resolution of 3840x2160 at 60hz and there is flickering still.
This must mean that there is an incompatibility in the firmware of the monitor or the Graphics Card.
This means NO DRIVER UPDATE from AMD can fix this.
I will try bios updates on the card but if that doesn't work I will definitely return asap.
I advise other people with the problem to return the monitor because other than bios updates for the gpu I can see no way that this can be fixed!

Back
Top Bottom