1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aorus Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Laptops & Tablets' started by fiveub, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Xemnes

Associate

hi, has there been any news on my problems/suggestions?

2. irtuk

Gangster

@Atom80 or indeed anyone else who can advise.

I am using my X7DT V3 at work, is it possible to enable the Intel® HD Graphics 530 on the i7-6820HK processor so I can get a bit more battery life out of the machine?

3. Xemnes

Associate

probably not, would have to be done at the bios level and ive never seen an option for enabling onboard graphics in a laptop bios supplied by aorus. you would have to unlock the bios which i wouldnt recommend you do unless you know what youre doing.

4. irtuk

Gangster

I am happy unlocking and playing with the BIOS, I just had to do a repair on an Alienware M17X R3 and to get that sucker up and running needed an unlocked BIOS to disable the integrated graphics before putting a very specific AMD driver on ... total nightmare.

Happy trying it, just where can I get a BIOS that supports it? Machine is way out of warranty so, due for replacement anyway. wife would not be pleased but thats about my only concern.

5. Xemnes

Associate

I think the best way is to request a bios mod here
    https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/
    Then supply the latest version of your bios from the aorus website, the bios file inside the flashing software supplied by aorus can be extracted with 7zip

6. MiSJAH

Wise Guy

I'm not sure this is possible without a physical MUX switch.

Nvidia's Optimus was meant to achieve this but did not work with G-Sync.

Further reading on the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a88crj/being_able_to_switch_to_the_discrete_gpu_in/

7. irtuk

Gangster

yeah I don't see a way of switching between the two elegantly. I can just disable one in the devices panel but, not elegant.

to be honest having a machine that could get through a two hour meeting would be good. I appreciate this is not designed for this use case, and I didnt buy it for this, but the outfit I am at right now has a BYOD policy.

8. FloppyPoppy

Soldato

Thanks :) i should have mentioned in the post but i was actually looking for one of the rtx ones however i have one of the 1070 boxes arriving tomorrow. Will give it a bench on my XPS15 9570 and upload some benchmarks elsewhere on the forum as to not spam the thread unless someone in here specifically wants to see results from that laptop.

9. baloney

AORUS / Gigabyte Rep

sorry maybe I just missed it. What's the problem you encountered?

10. baloney

AORUS / Gigabyte Rep

all X7 features discrete graphic structure, which means the panel's connected with NV graphic directly so it means there's no way that iGPU will be activated

11. Rroff

Man of Honour

I'd imagine with a power profile setup for low power operation it should last awhile - my laptop has a built in power profile "library" mode that downclocks the GPU and limits the CPU more than normal, etc. which increases battery life loads.

12. irtuk

Gangster

actually thats not a bad shout. I could use the nvidia tuning app to downclock it and reduce its power draw.

worth a go anyway :)

13. irtuk

Gangster

That did appear to work! Using nvidia inspector to clock it down to P8 and then a bit more. I just got off a skype interview with about half battery left.

14. FrostFox

Gangster

Oh i havent mixed the RAM I just use the 2x16GB but just tried all 4 individually,I think I have found the culprit at the moment,seems it might of been the fast boot option in windows power options but ill keep an eye on my boot ups :D

15. Xemnes

Associate

its a few pages back now, @Atom80 was dealing with it and sent it off to the team but needed my drivers update, that was the last i heard of it.

requoting the original message:

16. Bubo

Soldato

Potential Noddy question on the Aorus15-x9-7UK0250W on the OCUK site, the £1800 one with just a 512GB ssd... You can easily upgrade this with a spare 2.5" HDD yeah? Emphasis on the easily, i.e. pop a panel off the back, or otherwise dismantle without breaking warranty?

17. Atom80

AORUS / Gigabyte Rep

HI @Bubo - you are right in thinking that opening and installing additional HDD wont void warranty. We would "normally" recommend purchasing the unit with the 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD installed to remove the need, but can see the reason you ask as OcUK have applied a strong discount to the single storage unit.

Let us know if any more Qs, and thanks for your interest.

Regards,

Team AORUS

18. Chris [BEANS]

Soldato

Hi all. Apologies for what I’m certain is a stupid question, but the last time I built a PC, laptop and PC components simply did not mix, so I’m just making sure...

I’ve just ordered the Aorus 15-X9, with the 512 SSD, but no additional storage.
    I see there is a 2.5inch expansion bay, and I’m quite sure I can simply install one of these:-

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...d-drive-pc-and-ps4-st2000lx001-hd-374-se.html

Is that right?

I assume something as simple as installing an additional drive will not affect the warranty either, right??

Cheers

Chris

19. Xemnes

Associate

yes, you can open it up without voiding warranty and upgrade the storage and ram fine. that hdd should fit, you can also upgrade any m.2 slots you have as well.

20. Chris [BEANS]

Soldato

Please ignore my above, if I’d looked literally one post above I’d have known the answer.

I am a tool.