Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
I have to agree with him about the resolution choice for this machine. I don't get it at all. QHD with a 1060 on a laptop designed for gaming. It's bizarre!

Unless of course the scaling is fine running at 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 on that screen which with my limited tech knowledge (*caveat, will happily be corrected by someone with more knowledge in this area!) would suggest it isn't.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I have to agree with him about the resolution choice for this machine. I don't get it at all. QHD with a 1060 on a laptop designed for gaming. It's bizarre!

Unless of course the scaling is fine running at 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 on that screen which with my limited tech knowledge (*caveat, will happily be corrected by someone with more knowledge in this area!) would suggest it isn't.

Hi JimboJet,

Our decision on the screen isn't necessarily a "Gamer" based one, we see this product being purchased by creative types, professionals requiring performance and mobility, people working in media environments etc etc.... the screen resolution is praised by these people who want the high res clarity for photo/video editing etc.

We accept that on highest settings that some games wont run at optimum levels, but at FHD as mentioned in the review the performance is right up there.

Hope that clarifies our thinking.

Thanks for your feedback,

Team AORUS

Associate
In that case i'm still a little confused. I was under the impression the Aorus brand was gamer/enthusiast targeted. Is the Gigabyte range not aimed for professionals? Besides, wouldn't the media types you describe require more screen real estate than 13.9", eg 15.6" or 17"? In fact I'm wondering why you have the X3 at all when you have the Aero 14w. That said, I'm sure there's a reason behind it that I'm not party to. Is one of them an outgoing product line?

I'm a big fan of the Aorus and Gigabyte products and want as much success to the brand as you can get because according to many threads, Dells accountants and poor quality control have ruined Alienwares reliability, MSIs customer service is appalling, Asus laptop products are expensive and bulky as are the various 3rd party Clevo offerings.

It strikes me that there is a golden opportunity to grab market share right now!

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
In that case i'm still a little confused. I was under the impression the Aorus brand was gamer/enthusiast targeted. Is the Gigabyte range not aimed for professionals? Besides, wouldn't the media types you describe require more screen real estate than 13.9", eg 15.6" or 17"? In fact I'm wondering why you have the X3 at all when you have the Aero 14w. That said, I'm sure there's a reason behind it that I'm not party to. Is one of them an outgoing product line?

I'm a big fan of the Aorus and Gigabyte products and want as much success to the brand as you can get because according to many threads, Dells accountants and poor quality control have ruined Alienwares reliability, MSIs customer service is appalling, Asus laptop products are expensive and bulky as are the various 3rd party Clevo offerings.

It strikes me that there is a golden opportunity to grab market share right now!

Hi JimboJet,

Yes you are right, we target the AORUS brand towards gamers, and some of the Gigabyte products as well. However, when we speak directly to end users, specifically new AORUS customers, who register with us, we find some AORUS customers are professionals who like the styling and performance, and require performance hardware but not necessarily for gaming.

With a dual brand strategy there will always be some overlap, and as our strategy develops we think things will become more clearly defined.

As always OCUK forums will be a key area for us to launch products and talk about our strategy, so watch this space.

Its cool to read your thoughts about the opportunities available, and hopefully we can pursued more of the market to share your views :)

Thanks again,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
You long term posters probably hate these posts but I'm hoping to get some advice on my next purchase.... I'm about to upgrade my ageing gaming laptop that's 3 years old and has served me well. But the 870m GPU isn't cutting it these days.

After much research I'm keen on the Aorus X7 V6 1440p model. Looks good and reviews are positive. One or two questions for you experts:

Given that I'm upgrading and want to future proof as much as possible, I'm keen to avoid a mechanical HDD. if I were to replace the supplied 1tb unit what would you suggest to compliment the 512gb m2 ssd? Ideally I'd like something I could put in a raid 0 to give me 1tb total. It's been a while since I spec'd a machine so I'm somewhat new to the world of m2 and all that so don't want to make a mistake. Other reason is like to raid them up is that 512gb feels big just to use as a boot drive so would like to get as much use from the capacity as possible.

Secondly from a cpu perspective am I good to go ahead with what's currently on offer? I know intel has done some refreshing lately, and chance I might miss out on something by purchasing in the next week or two?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

JQ.

Associate
I dont think it'd be worth spending the money on another 512gb ssd just to Raid 0. The new m2 drives are insanely fast as it is. Just because the OS is installed on the boot drive, doesnt mean you cant use the excess space for applications or file storage. Besides why not use the 1tb drive as a backup drive for the 512gb ssd and further storage?

Also, you may want to check how many spare m2 and 2.5" slots there are on the x7 v6 as I believe there are multiple spare slots already removing your need to replace the 1tb hdd at all should you wish to add further ssds, whatever their flavour!

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
You long term posters probably hate these posts but I'm hoping to get some advice on my next purchase.... I'm about to upgrade my ageing gaming laptop that's 3 years old and has served me well. But the 870m GPU isn't cutting it these days.

After much research I'm keen on the Aorus X7 V6 1440p model. Looks good and reviews are positive. One or two questions for you experts:

Given that I'm upgrading and want to future proof as much as possible, I'm keen to avoid a mechanical HDD. if I were to replace the supplied 1tb unit what would you suggest to compliment the 512gb m2 ssd? Ideally I'd like something I could put in a raid 0 to give me 1tb total. It's been a while since I spec'd a machine so I'm somewhat new to the world of m2 and all that so don't want to make a mistake. Other reason is like to raid them up is that 512gb feels big just to use as a boot drive so would like to get as much use from the capacity as possible.

Secondly from a cpu perspective am I good to go ahead with what's currently on offer? I know intel has done some refreshing lately, and chance I might miss out on something by purchasing in the next week or two?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

JQ.

Hi johnq75,

Very nice to hear that your research has pointed you our way :)

As mentioned by JimboJet, the X7 models actually come with a total of three M.2 bays, one of which is populated, in this case with a 512GB SSD. The other two can therefore be used as expansion storage bays in the future by adding more SSD as and when required, or desired!

The SSDs can be configured in RAID if you want them to.

We would therefore not recommend replacing the 1 TB HDD as such, the 512GB SSD installed is the primary drive with O/S installed and will therefore give you the boot up speed.

FYI - we do not void customer warranty for opening machines and performing upgrades themselves (care to be taken as "customer induced damage" isn't covered)

In addition, you are right that there is a new processor on the market, but our AORUS X5 and X7 models a not immediately round the corner, so you are not at risk of something else appearing and trumping your considered purchase.

OcUK have the model on "This Week Only" promotion, with £100 discount making them (probably) best value for this model this week.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...l-core-i7-6820hk-gaming-laptop-lt-02b-au.html

We have no more stock coming into the UK on the V6 models, so when they is gone,,,, they is gone.

Hope that helps with your decision and if you have any further questions please do let us know.

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Associate
After much consideration I finally went for the X7V6 1080p which saved me a few hundred quid, part of which I spent on an additional SSD. Very excited about delivery and getting everything set up!

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
After much consideration I finally went for the X7V6 1080p which saved me a few hundred quid, part of which I spent on an additional SSD. Very excited about delivery and getting everything set up!

Good choice and looks like you timed it to achieve a bit of a discount with OCUK :)

Let us know how you get on, we look forward to hearing your first impressions.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Soldato
Anyone else having issues with driver update.

5 x I tried to update the video drivers. In the end I downloaded the Aorus ones from softpedia as driver update either crashed/hung or just disappeared.

Associate
Drivers update server is sloooooow, but at least you know the drivers are specific to the machine.

Why not get video drivers direct from nvidia? (AORUS will tell you to get them direct from AORUS, but I'm running the latest nvidia drivers and they work fine.

Associate
Any problems with your machine after a few months of ownership MiSJAH?

Nope (other than it's not the X9), it's a lovely machine. Gaming is perfect. Watching movies is beautiful. Even work (not that I've done much on it) is great.

No complaints and much better than my previous laptop.

Back
Top Bottom