Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
So it arrived!. However the courier seems to have forgotten the SSD, which now won't arrive till tomorrow, unfortunately.

Initial impressions are very positive, it's super slim compared to my old laptop, looks really great.

However as I set things up, one thing that has surprised me a bit is the seeming amount of bloatware included. A dedicated program to update drivers?. Struggling to see the benefit, I'd usually do that manually.

Have any other owners gone for a clean install and just added in the bare necessities by way of drivers?. There is even some stuff I'm not sure the function of including:

AVerMedia capture device - its installed but have no idea what it is or does
XSplit Broadcaster - assume this is for twitch streaming etc - which I don't use
Killer network suite - any reason to use this above and beyond windows drivers? I do like a nice clean set of applications running, nothing surperfluous!

Any comments would be appreciated.... I'll post more detailed info in a few days after the SSD arrives and everything is set up!

Update.... have removed most of the crap - including killer driver suite, windows seems to be doing just fine. Have left the fusion app which i assume will be required to drive the keyboard lighting, and the update app... not quite sure about that.

Also deleted the XSplit thing, Power DVD and a few others. Have left AVermedia thing as still no idea what it does.

Last edited:
Associate
AVerMedia is a gaming capture thing, XSplit is to broadcast your gaming, Killer suite is a POS.

Driver update is ok if you cba to go find drivers or update from system.

Hope your SSD turns up tomorrow :)

Associate
So my Intel SSD arrived, and I'm all set up. Not sure if this is a review, but I'll capture my initial thoughts.

First thing is I'm still amazed at how slim the machine is - really really like the look. It makes my 3 year old machine look like an absolute tank - comparison photo below!

vodEG7M.jpg

The keyboard is really good, there's a solidness to it that makes typing very satisfying. You wouldn't think you were typing on a mega slim laptop, the resistance and travel of the keys is excellent. I played around with the lighting a bit at the start, but I'll be honest, I got bored of it fairly quickly, and have defaulted to plain white. I don't seem to be able to turn off the macro keys to the left - at least as far as I have figured out yet. Ideally I'd like to get rid of the Fusion software - don't like running apps I don't need, but not sure if that will kill the lighting totally. Finally, those macro key - the one thing I don't like, but knew they might be a problem from the reviews I've seen. It is easy to hit them by accident instead of Tab or Caps. I assume I'll get use to them in time, not a deal breaker in any way.

OBmsisB.jpg

Screen. So I went for the 1080p screen, which is GSync enabled. To be honest I'm not sure if its really doing anything for me - I've played my main MMO a bit (Final Fantasy XIV) and it runs flawlessly on max settings windowed at 1080p. You can run GSync windowed, and it limits refresh to 75hz it seems, so I guess its working. Very smooth. Noise isn't as bad as I'd expected from reviews - yeah you can hear the fans spin up, but you can easily hear everything above the noise. I vary from no headphones to simple earbuds to a Logitech noise cancelling headset and that won't change. Perfectly usable, but then again if I was going to spend a few hours gaming, I might decide to go for the headset.

4JHYaf2.jpg.png

Performance - haven't really stressed it yet, or played with overclocking etc. Have taken a look at the SSD performance thought. The supplied Samsung 256gig is pretty nippy:

4EyfKxd.jpg.png

The Intel 600P 512gig is less impressive, but for the I paid for it price I'm happy, and really I'm not moving multiple gigs of data around all the time, so for my uses I don't see any problem:

zc1iosm.jpg.png

I decided to leave the HDD in there in the end - don't plan on using it, but you never know.

Software - as above, I have deleted virtually all of the crap that came pre-installed. Only things remaining are the lighting program (Fusion), the driver updater (until I decide I don't need it) and overclocking app. Yet to play with that. For info, when I removed the Killer suite, Windows happily recognised the WLAN card and it ran fine, but the LAN port wasn't picked up. In the end I just downloaded the driver only pack from Killer, and its working fine.

So, conclusion so far - absolutely love the machine. My old unit has been retired already, and I'm loving using the X7 V6. Very happy with the purchase, money well spent. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
So my Intel SSD arrived, and I'm all set up. Not sure if this is a review, but I'll capture my initial thoughts.

First thing is I'm still amazed at how slim the machine is - really really like the look. It makes my 3 year old machine look like an absolute tank - comparison photo below!

vodEG7M.jpg

The keyboard is really good, there's a solidness to it that makes typing very satisfying. You wouldn't think you were typing on a mega slim laptop, the resistance and travel of the keys is excellent. I played around with the lighting a bit at the start, but I'll be honest, I got bored of it fairly quickly, and have defaulted to plain white. I don't seem to be able to turn off the macro keys to the left - at least as far as I have figured out yet. Ideally I'd like to get rid of the Fusion software - don't like running apps I don't need, but not sure if that will kill the lighting totally. Finally, those macro key - the one thing I don't like, but knew they might be a problem from the reviews I've seen. It is easy to hit them by accident instead of Tab or Caps. I assume I'll get use to them in time, not a deal breaker in any way.

OBmsisB.jpg

Screen. So I went for the 1080p screen, which is GSync enabled. To be honest I'm not sure if its really doing anything for me - I've played my main MMO a bit (Final Fantasy XIV) and it runs flawlessly on max settings windowed at 1080p. You can run GSync windowed, and it limits refresh to 75hz it seems, so I guess its working. Very smooth. Noise isn't as bad as I'd expected from reviews - yeah you can hear the fans spin up, but you can easily hear everything above the noise. I vary from no headphones to simple earbuds to a Logitech noise cancelling headset and that won't change. Perfectly usable, but then again if I was going to spend a few hours gaming, I might decide to go for the headset.

4JHYaf2.jpg.png

Performance - haven't really stressed it yet, or played with overclocking etc. Have taken a look at the SSD performance thought. The supplied Samsung 256gig is pretty nippy:

4EyfKxd.jpg.png

The Intel 600P 512gig is less impressive, but for the I paid for it price I'm happy, and really I'm not moving multiple gigs of data around all the time, so for my uses I don't see any problem:

zc1iosm.jpg.png

I decided to leave the HDD in there in the end - don't plan on using it, but you never know.

Software - as above, I have deleted virtually all of the crap that came pre-installed. Only things remaining are the lighting program (Fusion), the driver updater (until I decide I don't need it) and overclocking app. Yet to play with that. For info, when I removed the Killer suite, Windows happily recognised the WLAN card and it ran fine, but the LAN port wasn't picked up. In the end I just downloaded the driver only pack from Killer, and its working fine.

So, conclusion so far - absolutely love the machine. My old unit has been retired already, and I'm loving using the X7 V6. Very happy with the purchase, money well spent. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Hi johnq75,

Thanks for your feedback and glad the overall experience is positive.

A couple of notes from us:

1. FUSION - this is not only for the keyboard lighting, but also audio profiles and macro key settings, so you can save individual settings for the various games that you play regularly
  2. MACRO keys - you can switch the lighting off for these keys by holding down the top "G" macro key for a couple of seconds
  3. AverMedia software - we did have some models that has a streaming card installed in one of the three m.2 bays, but weren't aware that the software for this hardware was still installed even though the card isn't - we will feedback to HQ on this point.
Really good for us to hear your points about the quality of the keyboard and also the fact that the noise levels are better than expected after reading reviews, as we tend to agree :)

Thanks again for you feedback and if you send me a trust message with your postal address we will send you out some goodies as a goodwill gesture for sharing your initial thoughts with the forums,

Thanks Again,

Team AORUS

Associate
Thanks again for you feedback and if you send me a trust message with your postal address we will send you out some goodies as a goodwill gesture for sharing your initial thoughts with the forums

Hi Atom80,

Thanks very much for this, completely unexpected and very nice of you!. I'll send on my address.

By the way if I'm the John you are referring to in relation to the rucksack, the answer is no, not me.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom80,

Thanks very much for this, completely unexpected and very nice of you!. I'll send on my address.

By the way if I'm the John you are referring to in relation to the rucksack, the answer is no, not me.

OK thanks - look forward to your trust message - please also confirm your approximate size for UK sweatshirt - S/M/L/XL/XXL

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom80,

Hi johnq75,

Nothing received on mail this afternoon, let us know when you have sent.

Thanks and have good weekend gaming with your new AORUS!

Regards,

Atom80

Back
Top Bottom