Aorus Owner's Lounge

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Is there going to be just one X5 MD model, with 256GB SSD (and 1TB HD) ? If so - I can add another/larger SSD without voiding warranty, right?

Hi matzie,

Yes, just the one specification as listed here in OCUK. Yes you are able to add more SSD without voiding warranty. Each of the 2 bays will accept 512GB SSD, and HDD can be upgraded to 2TB if you so desire.

Hope that clarifies for you,

Regards,

Team AORUS.

Associate
I'm not very happy about the panel quality change post order. Going to look into my options as to what is best for what im looking for.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I'm not very happy about the panel quality change post order. Going to look into my options as to what is best for what im looking for.

Hi fooby, panel "quality" has not been altered - the specifications were correct, just "IPS" changed. The panels used are the same technology as in the IPS branded panels, just alternative supplier. FYI, some manufacturers wrongly list IPS on screens that are not supplied by LG, Hitachi, NEC, Sharp and Samsung all of whom market IPS panels.

IPS is the most know "brand" because our friends at Apple adopted them, so the term has become well known in the market.

However, there are panel using the same technology, and they are equally high quality - the panels on the models we are talking about from us are not TN panels as stated earlier in the thread, that is incorrect. It is AHVA. Another version of similar technology panels is "PLS"

We apologise for the error in listing, no misleading intended.

We trust this gives you more assurances.

Regards and have a good weekend,

Team AORUS

Associate
Each of the 2 bays will accept 512GB SSD, and HDD can be upgraded to 2TB if you so desire.

Thanks Atom80. Is that 512GB a hardware limitation? Larger NVME SSDs are available (albeit ludicrously expensive). Also - could one use a SATA SSD in place of the HDD? Finally, can all three bays be made bootable?

Associate
Hi fooby, panel "quality" has not been altered - the specifications were correct, just "IPS" changed. The panels used are the same technology as in the IPS branded panels, just alternative supplier. FYI, some manufacturers wrongly list IPS on screens that are not supplied by LG, Hitachi, NEC, Sharp and Samsung all of whom market IPS panels.

IPS is the most know "brand" because our friends at Apple adopted them, so the term has become well known in the market.

However, there are panel using the same technology, and they are equally high quality - the panels on the models we are talking about from us are not TN panels as stated earlier in the thread, that is incorrect. It is AHVA. Another version of similar technology panels is "PLS"

Team AORUS

You know what, this has to be one of best answers from a vendor I've had. Thank you for explaining.

Correct, i am aware that IPS is mostly a brand now. There are many other examples of this and I'm fine with an equivalent level of "IPS quality" display. The thing that shocked me was the statement that it was a TN panel, that is clearly different.

If you are now saying its not a TN panel but AHVA then this settles a lot.

@Atom80

As as an addendum; i'm still concerned around the advertising of my specific model (that i hope is the one you are referring too).

The model i have on pre-order is: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...l-core-i7-7820hk-gaming-laptop-lt-02y-au.html

In there it states WVA as the panel. Is this correct? or is the AHVA panel that you mentioned above that is "IPS like"

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Do ocUK sell compatible RAM if I want to upgrade the X7 to 32GB? (I'm assuming there's 2 free slots for 2x 8GB sticks?).

I wish it with 32GB as standard. 16GB seems a bit stingey for a top end gaming laptop :/

Associate

Team AORUS

Wow, this is pretty cool if it's not Tn. Do you happen to have access to the unit and can check HWinfo to get the panel model number?

Associate
Hey,

This has probably been answered already somewhere but I've searched and not found a satisfactory answer. Is it possible to control the colour and/or brightness of Aorus logo on the back of the screen and also the power button? I can't seem to find anything in the provided fusion control software.

Cheers

Associate
Hey,

This has probably been answered already somewhere but I've searched and not found a satisfactory answer. Is it possible to control the colour and/or brightness of Aorus logo on the back of the screen and also the power button? I can't seem to find anything in the provided fusion control software.

Cheers
If it's anything like the v6, you can't control the power button light at all. The lid brightness is directly proportional to your screen brightness - can't be shut off.

Associate
If it's anything like the v6, you can't control the power button light at all. The lid brightness is directly proportional to your screen brightness - can't be shut off.
We'll if that's the case it's a bit cr*p especially considering all the hype about the keyboard and it's per key control!
Looks like I'll be covering up both with a sticker then which doesn't help the Aorus brand; in your face marketing people trying to force me to market your product with a big light up logo!
will totally recind this and apologies if they have added the function to the V7!

Associate
Wow, this is pretty cool if it's not Tn. Do you happen to have access to the unit and can check HWinfo to get the panel model number?

Yeah, i'm getting quite concerned that whilst what he said was great about certain machines being TN panels, but others being actually "IPS like". It wasn't clear to me which machines were what panels.

I ordered that spec machine because i wanted an "IPS" like Panel, especially not TN, so i'd like to understand (more clearly that is advertised on OCUK) which model has what panel.

Its looking more and more likely i'm going to have to get the 4k panel (which is only 60hz GSYNC) to get IPS/'IPS Like' panel. Which i find hard to swallow if that is the case, as thats another £500 more than i was expecting to spend based on what i saw in the description before i pre-ordered)

I'm hoping @Atom80 can resolve these queries so I can go back to being a happy camper, but at the moment i'm nervous i'm going to have a really powerful laptop that i'll find the display quality being sub-standard to what i'm used to (i use a 1440p IPS desktop display at the moment)

Yeah, i'm getting quite concerned that whilst what he said was great about certain machines being TN panels, but others being actually "IPS like". It wasn't clear to me which machines were what panels.

I ordered that spec machine because i wanted an "IPS" like Panel, especially not TN, so i'd like to understand (more clearly that is advertised on OCUK) which model has what panel.

Its looking more and more likely i'm going to have to get the 4k panel (which is only 60hz GSYNC) to get IPS/'IPS Like' panel. Which i find hard to swallow if that is the case, as thats another £500 more than i was expecting to spend based on what i saw in the description before i pre-ordered)

I'm hoping @Atom80 can resolve these queries so I can go back to being a happy camper, but at the moment i'm nervous i'm going to have a really powerful laptop that i'll find the display quality being sub-standard to what i'm used to (i use a 1440p IPS desktop display at the moment)
The 120Hz 2560x1440 panels are TN, while the 3K/4K options are IPS. That's it. No AHVA, no PLS, no nothing else. The only exception to this rule is the X3, which comes with an IGZO panel due to its size.

Associate
The 120Hz 2560x1440 panels are TN, while the 3K/4K options are IPS. That's it. No AHVA, no PLS, no nothing else. The only exception to this rule is the X3, which comes with an IGZO panel due to its size.

Ok, thanks for confirming.

I'll be cancelling my pre-order. Not paying nearly £3k for a TN panel

Permabanned
@Atom80
Thank you for your involvement in our situation. I must say you were very reactive after my last message and I deeply appreciate that. It give me more confidence for the future for sure. (Hoping to get this issue finally solved, of course it is still pending...)

I also have a general question I can't seem to find answer anywhere.

I saw there seems to be some "laptop charging" option through the x5 v7 USB is that correct?

Does the laptop allows to be charged through USB in Qualcomm 2.0 or 3.0 for fast charging? (For example, while beeing on sleep mode or else?) or not at all?

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for confirming.

I'll be cancelling my pre-order. Not paying nearly £3k for a TN panel
It is a TN panel indeed, but it is not a cheap TN by any means. 100% sRGB, but the main purpose we're fitting TN panels in the first place is the refresh rate and the 5ms response time. Viewing angles will obviously be slightly more limited than with IPS panels, but nowhere near £399 laptop bad (which have given TN panels their reputation in the first place).

Can you please confirm if the QHD TN screen is AUO1496 and not AUO1096.
That info I do not have. However, I can give you two other figures: 400Cd/m2 brightness and 700:1 contrast ratio.

Soldato
Does anyone know if using the Samsung tools to move the 256GB drive over to a new 1TB Samsung SSD will break Windows 10? I've used it on Windows 7 with no issues...

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom