Aorus Owner's Lounge

Permabanned
I am unsure if the 6820hk has something called virtualisation. If it does the it would to a degree be possible. However without two gpus it would be pointless.

YESSSSSS 7820HK & 6820HK both have virtualization!

Did anyone try it?? Could we use the CPU integrated graphics as the third graphic just to boot up "the server"?

I guess SLI models could do it straight out of the box or V7 with second GPU through TB3?

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom80,

As you know I have my X5V7 and so far it's been pretty good, I've not experienced ('touch wood') any of the keyboard issues or screen problems. I don't game but do 3d render so have loaded the processors and graphics units. Although the fans can make a fair amount of noise (which I'm fine with as they do seem to do their job of reducing cpu/gpu temps quite well), whilst using it for general emailing and stuff the unit is really nice and quiet.

All this being said my colleagues 6 month old X3v7 just died. It wont power on at all. This follows his gigabyte P35X with a 980GTX also dying on him (which is why we bought the Aorus X3). Our problem is we use these for work not gaming and need a speedy repair or replacement, the vendor that we bought this one from, no longer stock it, so a replacement is not an option any thoughts of the best course of action would be appreciated? We've been in touch with your service repair reps at Mendit.

Thanks

P.S to all those who are commenting that there are no good reviews out there and that all the units are breaking, i don't believe this to be the case, I believe there is a saying in marketing that 'if a product/service is good the user will tell 1 person out of 10 about it, if a product/service is bad they will tell 9 people out of 10'! In my case we've bought 4 gigabyte products, 1 is 3.5 years old and has been thrashed and is still going strong, one was 2.5 years old, was thrashed and died, one 6 months old, mildly used and has died, and one is a few weeks old and seem pretty good! Read into this however you like.

Hi darkright,

Thanks for feedback and sorry to hear about the X3.

Have you tried disconnecting battery and reconnecting, or not? Did failure occur when on, or just wouldn't boot next day?

We have checked stock in UK, and unfortunately everything is "out there" so we cannot perform exchange through one of our partners, sorry.

So the route would need to be arranging collection with MENDIT - if you give them as much info as possible, they should be able to give fairly swift turnaround time and get machine back to your colleague.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Team AORUS

Associate
Hi darkright,

Thanks for feedback and sorry to hear about the X3.

Have you tried disconnecting battery and reconnecting, or not? Did failure occur when on, or just wouldn't boot next day?

We have checked stock in UK, and unfortunately everything is "out there" so we cannot perform exchange through one of our partners, sorry.

So the route would need to be arranging collection with MENDIT - if you give them as much info as possible, they should be able to give fairly swift turnaround time and get machine back to your colleague.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Team AORUS

Hi @Atom80,

It happened on reboot, we've tried disconnecting the battery but to no avail, I think the power button has physically failed, it's always felt a little funny according to my colleague. I've got mendit on the case and although they seem helpful they aren't all that quick at replying to emails. Pickup was meant to be for tomorrow but I've not had a response, to my address confirmation email, sent at 15:20 with the info that we need to print out for pickup slip etc so it's now looking likely that pickup will be Thursday, combine this with fix eta of 10 days and it makes using these laptops for anything other than casual gaming difficult to justify. We'd pay extra for a fast track, either at purchase or on failure of goods, might be something to think about.

Associate
Hi @Atom80,
it makes using these laptops for anything other than casual gaming difficult to justify. We'd pay extra for a fast track, either at purchase or on failure of goods, might be something to think about.

+1 to this. I'm a freelancer who often travels away from home and I need a single machine that's powerful enough for everything I need in the day time, smart enough to use on client sites, and muscley enough for gaming in the evenings - but the reliability is a big concern and if it wasn't for the gaming requirement, I'd buy from a manufacturer with a next business day replacement guarantee. To be honest, I think I'm leaning in that direction - and can't justify a second machine :(

Soldato
Hi @Atom80,

It happened on reboot, we've tried disconnecting the battery but to no avail, I think the power button has physically failed, it's always felt a little funny according to my colleague. I've got mendit on the case and although they seem helpful they aren't all that quick at replying to emails. Pickup was meant to be for tomorrow but I've not had a response, to my address confirmation email, sent at 15:20 with the info that we need to print out for pickup slip etc so it's now looking likely that pickup will be Thursday, combine this with fix eta of 10 days and it makes using these laptops for anything other than casual gaming difficult to justify. We'd pay extra for a fast track, either at purchase or on failure of goods, might be something to think about.

I would also recommend trying to remove the bios and battery for a few mins and try to boot without the battery in. And also make sure it's not the power brick. I recently had issues with mine not turning on at all that was power brick related.

Permabanned
I would also recommend trying to remove the bios and battery for a few mins and try to boot without the battery in. And also make sure it's not the power brick. I recently had issues with mine not turning on at all that was power brick related.
I'm really starting to question my purchase.........

Soldato
Hi @Atom80, thanks for the go-ahead on the battery. So in short I've got the system up and running again. Here is an ordered list of what i did.

• Removed the back cover
• Removed the battery. A quick note on battery removal. The wires are pretty thin connecting the bat to the male connection for the motherboard. I would really personally recommend that anyone who is not 100% keen on working around hardware to not attempt to remove this as i can see it being easily damaged. For reference i used an old dead stick of ram for leverage across the entire platform ( a perfect fit ) so it popped out easily. Do not! pull the wires for god sake they will definitely come out of the male connection.
• Left in this state for 1 minute.
• Plugged battery back into motherboard and tried to boot no sign of life
• Unplugged the battery again left in this state for one minute again
• Plugged power cable into system and tried to boot without battery. No sign of life.
• Removed power cable
• Unconnected CMOS for 1 minute just to clear the bios in case the cpu was somehow locking the system.
• Plugged battery and CMOS back in and tried to boot. Nothing.
• Cried a little inside
• Ate some Haribo
• Noticed surge protector looked.. different.
• Unplugged power brick from surge protector and placed into wall.
• Laptop turns on.
• Sigh of relief.

Conclusion? I think the mains power may have for the first time in 20+ years sent in a dangerous amount of power ripple. Causing the surge protector to trip out the power brick ( everything else on the protector was fine still up and running )

So sorry for my panic :D.

• Eats more Haribo.

As promised

Soldato
Hi all, very keen to get my hands on the x7 v7-cf2. Any word when these will be coming in?

Many thanks,

Ruadhan

I reckon August at the earliest.... which is 8 months after they were announced...

The sooner the better, because after seeing all these issues I really don't want to be an X7 guinea pig. I'd rather read some reviews before I part with £3k

Last edited:
Associate
I reckon August at the earliest.... which is 8 months after they were announced...

The sooner the better, because after seeing all these issues I really don't want to be an X7 guinea pig. I'd rather read some reviews before I part with £3k

Thanks OCdude, was thinking the same, fair bit of cash and the X5 V7 issues are making me have 2nd thoughts although I do like the specs and design.

Soldato
Thanks OCdude, was thinking the same, fair bit of cash and the X5 V7 issues are making me have 2nd thoughts although I do like the specs and design.

Yup. I've also been looking at the official Aorus forums and it's depressing me lol.. reading stories about how people are on their third RMA and spending hundreds of dollars in postage, countless spam threads that are just ignored... overall there's a minimal Aorus presence (unless they're plugging a shiny new product!). It's a bit odd that there's more presence here (not that I'm complaining, and props to Atom80!)

Clearly I'd expect to see a fair amount of unhappy customers venting on official forums, but that's not particularly what's worrying me. It's the quality/lack of after sales support and common issues that seem to be dragged out for months, whereas other companies have offered replacements when affected by the same issue (I.e. The stripy 17" panel).

I'm willing to give Aorus the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the X7 (assuming there's no warning signs after the first reviews start appearing), as there doesn't appear to be a closely comparable product on the market (yet!)

I just hope I don't live to regret that decision :(

Associate
Yup. I've also been looking at the official Aorus forums and it's depressing me lol.. reading stories about how people are on their third RMA and spending hundreds of dollars in postage, countless spam threads that are just ignored... overall there's a minimal Aorus presence (unless they're plugging a shiny new product!). It's a bit odd that there's more presence here (not that I'm complaining, and props to Atom80!)

Clearly I'd expect to see a fair amount of unhappy customers venting on official forums, but that's not particularly what's worrying me. It's the quality/lack of after sales support and common issues that seem to be dragged out for months, whereas other companies have offered replacements when affected by the same issue (I.e. The stripy 17" panel).

I'm willing to give Aorus the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the X7 (assuming there's no warning signs after the first reviews start appearing), as there doesn't appear to be a closely comparable product on the market (yet!)

Ha yeah, exact same situation as me. I am hoping most issues will be ironed out when the X7 does arrive and any issues, if I do buy, are dealt with quickly in the UK. You'd begin to expect Aorus to cover shipping if there are any issues.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi all, very keen to get my hands on the x7 v7-cf2. Any word when these will be coming in?

Many thanks,

Ruadhan

Hi Ruadhan - we expect product to be ready in the next week or so.

With shipping time from HQ, we would therefore expect product to be ready to despatch from OCUK in approx. 2 weeks, w/c 24th July we would think is "safe", but could be a few days earlier.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Does anyone know if the Aorus X5 MD can run at a higher refresh rate at lower resolutions? OCUK state it can do 120Hz but I think thats a copy paste issue?

Hi Annihilation - thanks and well spotted, the 120 Hz information on the spec list was incorrect - the rest of the detail in features and within the marketing text is correct.

We have let OcUK know, and change has now been made.

- Screen Type: Screen Type: 15.6" UHD IPS Wide Viewing Angle

4K UHD IPS Display with Wide Colour Gamut
The 4K UHD IPS display ensures wide viewing angle and colour gamut, rendering crisp and vibrant colours for tremendous visual impacts. With ultimate clarity, the 3840 x 2160 resolution perfectly presents the stunning details of gaming scenes. The unreal sharpness and color intensity of the pictures grant uncompromised viewing pleasure.
*Panel specifications may differ by country and region. Please contact your local dealers or retailers for the latest product information.
X-Rite™ Pantone® Calibration: Experience True Colours
The complexity of in-game colours is what brings the game to life. Without proper colour calibration, the intended colours are well hidden away. AORUS has teamed up with X-Rite™ Pantone®- a world-renowned authority on colour and provider of leading colour technologies- to provide accurate colours throughout the colour spectrum. Each display on the laptop is fully calibrated through a professional calibration solution from X-Rite™ Pantone®. Experience vibrant yet accurate colours shown as intended by game developers. Gamers can now enjoy every gaming moment and also take advantage of the accurate colour contrasts in order to distinguish between enemies from the environment.
*Calibration environment: Display brightness: 100%; System operation: Windows 10 Home Premium; Calibration device: Provided By X-Rite™ Pantone®, Designed especially for AORUS.
Tear-free, Super Smooth & Fast with G-SYNC™
Equipped with NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ ground-breaking technology, X5 MD delivers the smoothest and fastest gaming experience ever. The innovative G-SYNC™ can synchronize display refresh rates to the GPU in your gaming laptop, and eliminates screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag.

Thanks again for the keen eye,

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Hi OCdude,

We have given very firm feedback to HQ about the communication speed on the AORUS forum, and this is being addressed - it is difficult for them to get some information, so they are very conscious not to post inaccuracies or details that may change - not an excuse, just some logic behind their thinking.

We can only control what we communicate via OcUK forums, and we endeavour to offer accurate and transparent information to keep everyone updated - of course it is difficult and sometimes painful for us to be open with some details especially the lateness of X5 and X7 - but am sure you appreciate there are circumstances beyond our control - the lateness of both X5 and X7 was not tech hardware related, it was to do with key parts shortage on the chassis, so 100% nothing could be done to speed it up, we have had to wait - equally distressing for us in UK as we know the impact this delay has had.

All we can do is keep pushing our HQ team, make them understand the demands of the UK market, and strive to improve in all ways.

We also believe that all customers in UK have been given support at the highest level, being given exchange units wherever possible, and fast. The numbers have actually been very small, maybe two or three users in total, but of course it "seems" bigger when everything is so public.

Obviously we aim to have everything perfect with every unit shipped, and even if this is the case when the product leaves the factory, we cannot know what sort of journey they have from Taiwan to UK. We would like to send each unit business class, but this is not possible :)

We value the support and custom we have had with OcUK and OcUK forum members, and as mentioned we will continue to manage this area the best we can and offer the service, support and experience that you deserve for purchasing a premium product.

Hope that gives you some sort of insight and re-assurance.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Soldato
Thanks for the response Atom80, it does give me a bit of reassurance when it comes to RMAs and returns (of which I hope I won't have to use!). I'm anxiously awaiting the X7 reviews!

Do you know if the same 230w power brick will be included with the X7?

Back
Top Bottom