Aorus X7 v2 - Very wobbly keyboard

Associate
Hi all,
New on the forums but been a customer of Overclockers for a good ten years or more.. bought my first Duron 800 here (ah memories)...

Anyhow, bought an Aorus X7 v2 today, just getting round to setting it up.
A bit (lot) concerned about the keyboard on my unit, there is really high level of flex in the top half of the keyboard, more noticeable in the top left area.
Is this a "feature" or a problem, anyone else got one and can chip in?

Not entirely sure I'll want to keep it if so, what's Overclockers policy on returning items under these conditions? Not keen on having a 1.7k laptop that feels like its broken upon receipt.

Appreciate any feedback.

Alex

Associate
Sounds broken, can't imagine this feature is intended on a laptop of this value.

Looking at the Aorus myself and have been since the v2 was announced, be interresting to get some more feedback from ocuk customers who have purchased one.

Lokis, how do you find the SLI? Im really wary about SLI on a laptop still.

Associate
OP
adeel2788: Yup I'll dig the vid. camera out once kids are in bed and I'll drop a clip on YouTube.

Scirocco: I'd hope it's not standard, <SNIP>

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:
Associate
Aside from the obvious problem, that keyboard looks very cheap and flimsy.

Again many thanks for the video, think i'll avoid the Aorus at that price if the KB quality is that bad.

Associate
Just saw the video, cheers for that.

This doesnt seem right, I think its a manufacturing fault because I use the same keyboard on my Gigabyte P35W and there is not that much flex.

Its clearly visible from the top of the keyboard that something gave way. Get a replacement ASAP!

P.S. What did OC UK say?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi,

I have viewed video and also let HQ in Taiwan know about this thread.

Having viewed the video I can certainly confirm that the keyboard isn't supposed to be like that at all. I have handled the unit many times and feedback from everyone who has used the machine is opposite to this experience.

I will speak with OCUK tomorrow and see what they have already advised you. But this isn't right and will be rectified.

Apologies and please bare with us.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Wow, this looks pretty grim. Its my guess that's how the keyboards are made. I am seriously concerned that the x3 I've pre ordered is going to suffer the same engineering issues, in which case...

Associate
OP
Atom80: Thank you for commenting on the thread, nice to see a Rep getting involved. I would hope that this is just a lapse in quality control and limited to a small number of units. However, if you haven't already spoken to OCUK I returned the laptop to the store in person this morning (1 hour drive from home) and was issued with a full refund.

Everyone else: Full credit to OCUK on the way they handled this one, took a look at the unit and agreed that quality wasn't as should be expected. As they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be the same on the next unit (possible manufacturing issue) they offered a full refund. Excellent service from the RMA guy (Aiden I believe).

Overall, YMMV - see what Atom80 weighs back in with. I've snipped a couple of comment s from my earlier post that weren't related to the keyboard issue - as that is ultimately what made me want to return it and needs to be resolved.

Thanks,

Alex

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
We would have liked the opportunity to restore confidence and shown you another unit out of the box, and swapped for you.

If this has now been resolved by way of refund this is obviously disappointing for us, but if that's the solution you wanted then we cant argue.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Wow, this looks pretty grim. Its my guess that's how the keyboards are made. I am seriously concerned that the x3 I've pre ordered is going to suffer the same engineering issues, in which case...

Having seen, poked and prodded, and seen end users and media test the X3 and X7 during Computex show, I am confident that this is the exception rather than the rule.

Build quality has been praised throughout the industry and media.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Atom, I'm thrilled to hear it. Appreciate you assuaging my fears and I'm excited to get my grubby mits on the x3. Thanks once again for responding promptly. Is shipping still on track for end July?

Associate
Atom80: Thank you for commenting on the thread, nice to see a Rep getting involved. I would hope that this is just a lapse in quality control and limited to a small number of units. However, if you haven't already spoken to OCUK I returned the laptop to the store in person this morning (1 hour drive from home) and was issued with a full refund.

Everyone else: Full credit to OCUK on the way they handled this one, took a look at the unit and agreed that quality wasn't as should be expected. As they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be the same on the next unit (possible manufacturing issue) they offered a full refund. Excellent service from the RMA guy (Aiden I believe).

Overall, YMMV - see what Atom80 weighs back in with. I've snipped a couple of comment s from my earlier post that weren't related to the keyboard issue - as that is ultimately what made me want to return it and needs to be resolved.

Thanks,

Alex

I tell ya, my last two PC's and most components i have purchased in the last xyz years were from OCUK and their service was simply brilliant, if you ever were unlucky enough to have an issue with hardware, be glad you bought it here! :)

It says something that i doubt anyone on this forum would be surprised to hear OCUK provided a solution and/or a refund. Such a great company.

It's also nice to see Gigabyte and MSI reps very active on the forums, not many companies would have the staff or take the time to come reply and help investigate an individual issue.

Personally Im going to wait a while before making a decision on whether or not to buy an Aorus, maybe i miss the boat, maybe not. Either way this issue will not be the reason (as i stated before).

Hope it works out for you Loki.

Soldato
I tell ya, my last two PC's and most components i have purchased in the last xyz years were from OCUK and their service was simply brilliant, if you ever were unlucky enough to have an issue with hardware, be glad you bought it here! :)

It says something that i doubt anyone on this forum would be surprised to hear OCUK provided a solution and/or a refund. Such a great company.

It's also nice to see Gigabyte and MSI reps very active on the forums, not many companies would have the staff or take the time to come reply and help investigate an individual issue.

Personally Im going to wait a while before making a decision on whether or not to buy an Aorus, maybe i miss the boat, maybe not. Either way this issue will not be the reason (as i stated before).

Hope it works out for you Loki.

EH ??

:cool:

Associate
OP
Atom80: Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be able to take a gamble with £1750 of savings, plus I really wasn't sure ocUK would have been as helpful when I returned a second unit if the issue appeared there.
Even without the issue's with the abnormal flex, I don't think the keyboard has the premium feel that matches the build quality of the metal body.
I'll be eagerly waiting to see what other purchasers think of the keyboards on their units.

If there was anyway to test another unit I'd happily write a counter to this thread, but for now (I believe), I think it needs to stand.

I don't have anything against Gigabyte (had atleast 1 or 2 Gigabyte mobo's in previous desktops), nor will this dissuade me from buying Gigabyte's other products in future.

Scirocco: Yup ocUK did great, I've had 2 or 3 bundles, other random bits, plus my wife's MSI GS70 from them in the past 10 years. I've never had to use their customer service but when I did they were very clear, professional and business like. My card refund cleared in 1 working day.

Cheers,

Alex

Back
Top Bottom