Apple Event - 30th October - 2pm - "There's more in the making"

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Question isn't whether MacOS lives or dies is it?

I thought it was about whether it will transition to ARM or stay x86, given the power of Apple's CPUs these days and the rapid development they are seeing on that front

There's a few different conversions going on.

MacOS would be threatened if iOS gained a file system and a mouse input. This would shift a considerable amount of casual users away from Macs, giving Apple less drive to continue to invest in their PCs.

Caporegime
Chips don’t work like that, if macOS was compiled for ARM it would work fine on A series chips.

The entire software base would need either rewriting for ARM though which would be a major pain or baked in x86 emulation would be needed which I understand is getting better but is still inefficient and going to be a ballache.

Soldato
Chips don’t work like that, if macOS was compiled for ARM it would work fine on A series chips.

Issue would be the Apps, which would need recompiling at the very least for good performance. You'd lose optimisations related to Intel specific instructions like SSE, AVX etc.

Apple have been through a processor migration twice previously : 68K -> PowerPC on classic Mac OS and PowerPC -> x86 on OS X. Classic Mac OS ran a 68k emulation, OS X used Rosetta which dynamically translated binaries as they executed.

x86 offered better performance generally which made up for overheads of the translation and loss of Altivec. This isn't likely to be true of ARM, the x86 emulation/translation would be costly.

Soldato

Not convinced, those are a standard LGA chip designed for a socket. Apple will be using BGA chips as they have for years in the Mac mini.

Edit : Intel happily make Apple custom SKUs, look at the CPUs in the iMac Pro. Plus the renders of the Mac mini show BGA CPUs. Only the B series fits.

If you've got a better confirmed source, prove me wrong... ;)

Oh look. Confirmed as the 8700B. :eek:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/02/first-mac-mini-benchmark-surfaces/

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Wow that i7-8700B is a BEAST!
https://ark.intel.com/products/134905/Intel-Core-i7-8700B-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4-60-GHz-

The prices though, are utterly insane. Mac mini with above i7, 16GB and 512GB is £1600, vs latest Gen8 NUC NUC8I5BEH (which has an extremely respectable i5-8259U), 16GB and 512GB NVMe totals £626. So essentially almost triple the price for the Apple equivalent. I really would like to get a mini, but I just can't afford those prices! And I'd like to know who can?! It's almost like Apple is saying "eff you" to all those who've been protesting over the past few years that they've abandoned the Mac platform, and now they're saying "we dare you to buy a new Mac, didn't you say you wanted one?".

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It's meant to have a revised cooling system, with one presumes a bigger fan.

Soldato
It could just be an example image so Apple isn’t promoting another brand in one of its manuals, makes sense.

Who ever wrote it could just be a massive troll to get the hype machine going.

Soldato
Quite tempted to go for an 11" iPad Pro when they're out. Not preordered or anything yet so I'm curious about what the stock situation is going to be like this year. Going by the fact that every possible option of iPad on o2's contract is already 4+ weeks lead time I'd say it's probably going to be tight. I'll probably try my luck with an Apple store on Wednesday unless I talk myself out of it.

Back
Top Bottom