LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
We should discuss about LG 42" OLED in its dedicated thread otherwise it will be more of a mess in the other thread :pSo far only the C2 gets the 42". The A2 and B2 probably won't be getting the 42" version.

Your talking about LG 48CX OLED thread been a mess!:(

Last edited:
Soldato
One I have been waiting for size wise to replace me normal gaming monitor. 48” just felt too big so returned it, but 42” does seem a nice number to hit.

now a waiting game I suppose and replacing the GPUs in the main pc :o

Associate
OP
GPU upgrade has been on hold untill I don't really care any longer about. I mean, games these days tends to be crap at release days like full of bugs etc etc. And of course...the insane prices.
I'll stick to my 'ancient' 1080Ti. 48" is the max I can get as a PC monitor too. 42" will be the better one indeed.

Associate
I've been following the news about this one for a while. Tried out the 48C1 in a shop, and just couldn't convince myself that it was the right size.

In all honesty I'd be happy with same spec and a cheaper price, but I expect there will be some new features that push the price up again.

Associate
I think the 48 is a nice size just 4k is not enough pixels for that size, I use a 43 now and the pixels are as big as I would want, 42 would be good, though I look at this and Samsungs QD OLED which if reports are correct should fix the main failing of the LG OLED and that is the dimming on bright scenes, that does irk me, 95% of the time my C9 is awesome but when that mostly white screen comes on, wow, utter rubbish.

Associate
OP
I think the 48 is a nice size just 4k is not enough pixels for that size, I use a 43 now and the pixels are as big as I would want, 42 would be good, though I look at this and Samsungs QD OLED which if reports are correct should fix the main failing of the LG OLED and that is the dimming on bright scenes, that does irk me, 95% of the time my C9 is awesome but when that mostly white screen comes on, wow, utter rubbish.
48" 4K is like 24" 1080p. Although the pixels are more sharper on OLED, I like high ppi, one of the reasons why I'm waiting for the 42".

And white screen, you mean the pinkish areas?

Associate
OP
No the auto dimming that happens because OLED can't do a high level of brightness when it has to light up a high percentage of the screen, it has a brightness limiter to protect the screen.
ABL is very annoying as hell and it's noticable too. On my "old" LG A7, Dynamic Contrast kicks in and I already have the OLED light at 37 or so.
It looks like I have to wait a bit longer for the 42" to see how ABL will behave.

Soldato
No the auto dimming that happens because OLED can't do a high level of brightness when it has to light up a high percentage of the screen, it has a brightness limiter to protect the screen.

yes that is the one thin that annoys me and hoping to see next gen OLEDs possible with more heat sink and less aggressive abl / QD-OLEDs work on. Use 77” C9 and 3090 in living room for most games and the all as you say becomes a pain, noticeable at times in some games and content.

problem is, I think the QD-OLED stuff is going to be pricy for a few years yet, will be few years of production until the price and economies of scale bring it down to a reasonable price.

Associate
I know what he means, in pixel size, 48" 4k and 24" 1080p are ~91ppi and so the same, well apart from one is equivalent to 4x of those 1080p.

My preference is 110-120ppi, the 32inch 4ks 137ppi is too high for me on monitors to use comfortably all day when I can't control the scale on some of my design applications, I notice it when using my laptop, get a little tired etc and it becomes an issue, though that is 157ppi.

48" @ 4k is just a little to big in the pixel sense, I'd be using it for more than just games and media, my old 40" was great, my current 43" acceptable, probably old failing eyes don't help me.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I know what he means, in pixel size, 48" 4k and 24" 1080p are ~91ppi and so the same, well apart from one is equivalent to 4x of those 1080p.

My preference is 110-120ppi, the 32inch 4ks 137ppi is too high for me on monitors to use comfortably all day when I can't control the scale on some of my design applications, I notice it when using my laptop, get a little tired etc and it becomes an issue, though that is 157ppi.

48" @ 4k is just a little to big, I'd be using it for more than just games and media, my old 40" was great, my current 43" acceptable, probably old failing eyes don't help me.
I once had a 4K 22" monitor and it was not really comfortable indeed. 102ppi is my minimum, which is my 22" 1080p.

Associate
I know what he means, in pixel size 48" 4k and 24" 1080p are ~91ppi and so the same, well apart from one is equivalent to 4x of those 1080p.
48" CX 4K: 92ppi, 24" 1080p: 91 ppi, 27" 1440p: 108 ppi:)55CX is 80 ppi

Do you really like to behave like an ass or likes to pick on me? For now on you'll stay on my Ignore list.
Or is it you couldn't handle my opinion!:p

Last edited:
Associate
Yes 55inch is bigger for desktop but great for movies/Netflix & 42inch will still be too big for some there is no pleasing for some people:)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For living rooms, I would like a big OLE tv, 77" or 83". Our own living room can have up to 65" but it was my first OLED tv and had a budget so it was the 55" and it's the perfect size.
My parents their own living room is bigger and can easily have 83" but it'd be a waste.

It's good to see LG is now making 42". I'm wondering if LG will produce 32C3 next year doubt it. The more sizes, the better.

Back
Top Bottom