*** Apple Event Tuesday 8th March 2022 @ 18:00 UK: 'Peek Performance' ***

Soldato

Looks like BigMac Mini is coming tomorrow :D Won't just be a spec bump to M1 Pro/Max, but larger design (maybe bigger/more chips?) and halfway between Mac Mini and Mac Pro. Display coming too.

Wallets really? :D

Don't like that...what happens when the monitor looks great but the SoC is slow? Hopefully they'll let you just bypass it.

Soldato
"Monitor running iOS".

Isn't that a large iPad? :cry:

32-inch iPad :D

Samsung will then make a 49-inch Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra.

Don't like that...what happens when the monitor looks great but the SoC is slow? Hopefully they'll let you just bypass it.

If anything the SoC is massively overkill and just a marketing gimmick. All monitors need SoCs, they usually have single-core 10-year-old ARM designs (e.g. a lot are still based on Cortex A9 from 2007, some are based on A53 or some other embedded uarchs). Apple will probably put an A12/A13 in there, probably 100x faster than they need to be.

Soldato
HomePods don’t work great as mac speakers, there is a big delay between starting music and it actually playing.

I’ve been looking at something like the Q Acoustics M20, supports USB input and supports high res lossless from Apple Music.

Soldato
HomePods don’t work great as mac speakers, there is a big delay between starting music and it actually playing.

I’ve been looking at something like the Q Acoustics M20, supports USB input and supports high res lossless from Apple Music.

Didn't consider the delay and was thinking primarily music. Good point.

Soldato
32-inch iPad :D

Samsung will then make a 49-inch Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra.

If anything the SoC is massively overkill and just a marketing gimmick. All monitors need SoCs, they usually have single-core 10-year-old ARM designs (e.g. a lot are still based on Cortex A9 from 2007, some are based on A53 or some other embedded uarchs). Apple will probably put an A12/A13 in there, probably 100x faster than they need to be.
I'm not on about an SoC to run basic monitor things ala a traditional monitor...I'm talking about an SoC to run any kind of ipad functionality. I had assumed the SoC will be for some smart colour/security features.

Soldato
I'm not on about an SoC to run basic monitor things ala a traditional monitor...I'm talking about an SoC to run any kind of ipad functionality. I had assumed the SoC will be for some smart colour/security features.

There won't be any iPad functionality in the monitor. The iPad comparisons were jokes. The SoC is probably there for AirPlay.

Back
Top Bottom