*** Apple Event Tuesday 8th March 2022 @ 18:00 UK: 'Peek Performance' ***

Soldato
From reading it the display is literally the Ultrafine 5K/27" iMac screen in a frock... as sharp/nice as that display is I'm already used to all the screen tech the new MBP has. Decisions.

Soldato
Is it the same panel as the 5K Ultrafine? I have a couple of those at the minute - they're great screens. The only problem I have is my Loupedeck thing can't control the brightness on them. When my M1 16" unit comes out of sleep the screens are dimmed slightly, meaning I have to up/down the brightness to get them back to normal. Only seems to to happen with the 5K Lightning connected screen.

Caporegime
Just google usb c to hdmi.

Yeah that isn’t what I was getting at. Would it have hurt them to put a few more inputs in to make it more versatile in the home working environment.

For example the dell 2723qe I bought with built in kvm allows me to use it with my mini, the mrs with her laptop when she works from home and connect the series x. Picture in Picture and auto selecting source in use.

For £1500 it’s undoubtedly a good screen but I expect versatility for that price too. I know it’s an LG panel but I don’t think it’s been confirmed it’s the same as the ultrafine? That panel has its issues too.

The speakers, mic and camera would have been excellent but as I say I’d want more inputs. Then it would have been easier for my day to day life and lasted me 10 years.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Is it the same panel as the 5K Ultrafine? I have a couple of those at the minute - they're great screens. The only problem I have is my Loupedeck thing can't control the brightness on them. When my M1 16" unit comes out of sleep the screens are dimmed slightly, meaning I have to up/down the brightness to get them back to normal. Only seems to to happen with the 5K Lightning connected screen.

I've read it's the same monitor but does get a little brighter. I imagine the new monitor will have less bugs and quirks compared to the LG.

Soldato
Yeah that isn’t what I was getting at. Would it have hurt them to put a few more inputs in to make it more versatile in the home working environment.

For example the dell 2723qe I bought with built in kvm allows me to use it with my mini, the mrs with her laptop when she works from home and connect the series x. Picture in Picture and auto selecting source in use.

For £1500 it’s undoubtedly a good screen but I expect versatility for that price too. I know it’s an LG panel but I don’t think it’s been confirmed it’s the same as the ultrafine? That panel has its issues too.

The speakers, mic and camera would have been excellent but as I say I’d want more inputs. Then it would have been easier for my day to day life and lasted me 10 years.

It was never going to happen though, that is just not the Apple way. They pretty much make something to be used one way and tell you that’s how you use it because they think that is the best way.

Soldato
My thoughts from the event:

The M1 ultra / Mac studio looks like a great product for the price, pretty much all the computer 99.9% of people need right now.

I get why people are comparing it to a 5950x and a 3090 build but you also have to consider the form factor. I think you’d also have to consider a proper workstation card with all the compute enabled which basically cost as much as the studio anyway.

I know they hinted that the Mac Pro is coming but I expect the studio is very much the Mac Pro replacement for a lot of people.

The monitor is overpriced but not entirely unexpected for Apple.

Im surprised the iPad Air got the M1, I expect it’s down locked compadres to its Pro sibling. Have they just destroyed their own iPad Pro sales by doing that? There is so little between the two products now and it’s questionable whether it’s worth the additional £130 (256gb config).

Now the 27” imac has been officially canned, it looks like the cheaper studio is meant to replace it.

I agree with the comments above that there seems be to a bit of a gap that could be filled by a Mac mini with M1 pro and Max. But otherwise the M series is looking really well rounded.

Man of Honour
I'm tempted to replace my 2018 iPad Pro with the Air. All I do is watch videos on it so not sure I need the 'new' pro. The screen is nice, but joke money for heigh adjustment and I know you can use adaptors but the lack of notice HDMI/DP is frustrating and for the price I would expect more than 60 hz.

Associate
My thoughts from the event:
Im surprised the iPad Air got the M1, I expect it’s down locked compadres to its Pro sibling. Have they just destroyed their own iPad Pro sales by doing that? There is so little between the two products now and it’s questionable whether it’s worth the additional £130 (256gb config).

It seems so close to the smaller ipad pro now doesn't it ... to the average person, the air seems like a no brainer pick against the pro. I almost wonder whether they'll can the smaller pro ipad now.

Caporegime
The 27" iMac was always a great deal. Upgradeable RAM and CPU (and SSD in some models), basically allowed us to buy the cheapest base model and upgrade it ourselves. Those days are gone.

I'm pretty sure when Apple releases the new larger iMac it will be a very high end product. The 24" iMac is now in the £1200-1800 range.

I don't think they will bring out a 27" iMac this generation, at the end of the presentation they said "only 1 more product to bring the transition to Apple Silicon and it's the Mac Pro". As in they are referring to the tower form factor.

The Chubby Mac Mini + the new screen is the way to go now. I guess the good thing is there is always other cheaper screen to get to save some money that way.

Soldato
I'm tempted to replace my 2018 iPad Pro with the Air. All I do is watch videos on it so not sure I need the 'new' pro. The screen is nice, but joke money for heigh adjustment and I know you can use adaptors but the lack of notice HDMI/DP is frustrating and for the price I would expect more than 60 hz.

Same with me, my 2018 iPad Pro is only used for note taking and browsing. But I don't want to pay the extra now for the Pro if Apple releases the replacement in a few months. Also the new Air doesn't have Pro Motion.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I don't think they will bring out a 27" iMac this generation

Agreed. If you want the larger screen vs the 24" you can just grab a current mini and the Studio Display. If you need more power, you grab the Mac Studio and Studio Display.

I'm sure when they refresh the mini they will give the option for M1 Pro in that chassis.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
This is what people have been asking for for years. It's effectively an iMac without a screen.

and the Studio Display is the screen without the iMac, which is what a lot of people have also been asking for. 14" MBP and Studio Display is going to be a fantastic combo.

Soldato
I’m not too familiar with the LG Ultrafine so can’t compare but I’m happy(ish. Very ish) to pay for the Studio monitor it’s got built in speakers which will be very good and also a built in webcam. Two less things for me to buy and several less cables to deal with.

Soldato
I don't think they will bring out a 27" iMac this generation, at the end of the presentation they said "only 1 more product to bring the transition to Apple Silicon and it's the Mac Pro". As in they are referring to the tower form factor.

The Chubby Mac Mini + the new screen is the way to go now. I guess the good thing is there is always other cheaper screen to get to save some money that way.

Lots of rumours about the larger iMac, I think it's still coming but as you say it may be for next year with the M2 cycle. But I think it's coming back as a much more expensive product, like the iMac Pro was rather than the basic 27" iMac.

Caporegime
Lots of rumours about the larger iMac, I think it's still coming but as you say it may be for next year with the M2 cycle. But I think it's coming back as a much more expensive product, like the iMac Pro was rather than the basic 27" iMac.

I was planning to get a separate computer + screen combination before yesterday's keynote anyway so the lack of iMac this gen doesn't really change anything. I feel like it is a waste to keep buying a new screen every time i buy a new computer a bit of a waste.

Soldato
Ordered the baseline studio - my m1 mini with 8gb sometimes beach balls and runs out of memory when I have loads open. My work M1 Pro has been amazing, so this will be even better with more CPU/Memory. I'm hoping it's better looking in person though.

Back
Top Bottom