• Yes

Votes: 146 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 295 66.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Thanks guys for the feedback on the fingerprint reader, that's great to know.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Sorry one more thing (I meant to include this is my response above) I actually prefer the fingerprint scanner to FaceID on the iPad - again contrary to my original thoughts.
I will caveat this by saying that as a tool I do prefer FaceID and much prefer it on my iPhone than any fingerprint based Android. However, on the iPad the need to swipe up after your face has been detected is an absolute pain. I know it’s the same on the iPhone but it’s always in my hand. Sometimes my iPad will be at arms length away on my desk or such and when I tap the screen for FaceID to do it’s thing it’s a pain to have to swipe up from the bottom to unlock. Secondly again because the iPad might not always be right in front of me the FaceID only works first time around 50% of the time.
Contrast this with the fingerprint reader where you just hold your finger on it and BOOM, home screen :D
Another flaw I see in the system is figuring out on which side the button is? With the older iPad Pro with the home button, it is very obvious where the button is (because it's on the front), but if there is no longer a visual indicator as to "right side up", does it take a while to spin the iPad around sometimes, or is that a non-issue?

Soldato
Another flaw I see in the system is figuring out on which side the button is? With the older iPad Pro with the home button, it is very obvious where the button is (because it's on the front), but if there is no longer a visual indicator as to "right side up", does it take a while to spin the iPad around sometimes, or is that a non-issue?
That was indeed an issue I found with the 2018 Pro, most of the time I didn't know which end was up when picking it up and the new Air is fairly similar - as you say there are no hardware indicators on the front.
What I would say in support of the Air is that when you tap the screen you get a tiny prompt in the corner where the home button/FPS is located so you can at least tell which end is up at that point. With the Pro you get nothing.
This also ties in to my gripe with the FaceID on the Pro because if you do happen to lift it upside-down the FaceID is patchy at best.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

That was indeed an issue I found with the 2018 Pro, most of the time I didn't know which end was up when picking it up and the new Air is fairly similar - as you say there are no hardware indicators on the front.
What I would say in support of the Air is that when you tap the screen you get a tiny prompt in the corner where the home button/FPS is located so you can at least tell which end is up at that point. With the Pro you get nothing.
This also ties in to my gripe with the FaceID on the Pro because if you do happen to lift it upside-down the FaceID is patchy at best.
Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Associate

I find this feature really useful and makes locating the Touch ID really quick. It seems like they have really put some thought into the design.

Associate
I know it’s only rumours but is there any talk of an update to the 11inch Pro in March?

Sacking off my 12.9 2018 Pro due to recently acquiring the M1 MacBook Pro so want the 11 to replace it.

Associate
My 2018 11" pro is coming towards the end of the 24 months of applecare+ I understand this can now go onto a rolling version with payment each month, does anyone know how much this costs? trying to work out of its worth keeping or if I should look to replace next month when the new version comes out?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Agreed, there isn't anyway to extend beyond the 2/3 years of AppleCare as far as I'm aware.

I wouldn't worry to be honest, iPads are pretty robust. My 5 year old son is using my wife's hand me down Air 2 from 2014.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom