• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Apple locks NVidia GPUs out of new operating system Mojave

Soldato
I'm sure its called AMD fine wine technology. :D:p

Since the moment pulled out the wine glass, cannot stop laughing.. :D

Btw the electricity bill argument, is always a bad one. I still remember the days many in here argued when comparing GTX780Ti to R9 290X.
I do wonder do those people still keep their GTX780Ti, because the extra upfront money it needed over the 290X, could be balanced out on the electricity bills around year 2040, and in the case of the Titan X year 2068.....
Assuming they are all running their cards at 100% load, 8 hours per day 365 days per year. (i had made the maths back then).

Associate
Nvidia will want to make the new tech look better than the old tech, so they make drivers run slower on the old tech so the NV fans buy into the new tech. they just copy what apple have done for years lol

and of course a 2080ti will look much faster on the same drivers:D as a 1080ti

Man of Honour
Then watch another proof :D :D

Roundups that have looked at more than one driver haven't found a trend of any significant slowing down - you'll always get the odd driver that has issues or is faster/slower than an older/newer driver and sometimes a game where a fix results in a small FPS loss, etc.

EDIT: Interestingly even in the comments people have posted links to mainstream youtubers who've debunked that video for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6id-sZ1I3c

so they make drivers run slower on the old tech so the NV fans buy into the new tech

They don't - people have only come up with this notion from comparing individual drivers in isolation - if you compare a spread of older and newer drivers there are rarely any significant differences - infact in some cases small improvements.

Man of Honour
Yet people still deny it happens :p

I noticed it a lot with my 970 and rx480. They started off roughly similar performance, but by the time I sold the rx480 it was so far ahead it was funny.

That isn't because of nVidia gimping though - its is because of the longer time it takes AMD to squeeze all the performance out of their cards.

Soldato
That isn't because of nVidia gimping though - its is because of the longer time it takes AMD to squeeze all the performance out of their cards.

That doesn't explain why the 970 is basically unusable in some modern games while the 480 performed quite well. Nvidia just abandoning and not updating drivers for old cards is a way of gimping.

People only complain about Nvidia (and Apple) doing this, no other hardware vendor.

FPS appears to drop slightly with each driver leading up to new releases. When people complain loud enough Nvidia "fix" it, then it drops again a few drivers later. It's been a regular theme for years now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That doesn't explain why the 970 is basically unusable in some modern games while the 480 performed quite well. Nvidia just abandoning and not updating drivers for old cards is a way of gimping.

That is going to happen at some point both the 970 and 480 are quite low down performance wise compared to the latest cards but the 480 is still not that old in terms of releases for AMD compared to nVidia where the 970 is quite a way down the list now. That isn't anything like gimping.

Also comparing the hardware - when it comes to things like texture throughput, memory bandwidth and potential compute performance the 970 is quite a bit behind the 480 hardware (by around 30%) - it doesn't really look good for AMD that the 970 was ever even close to the 480 for ingame performance.

Soldato
That is going to happen at some point both the 970 and 480 are quite low down performance wise compared to the latest cards but the 480 is still not that old in terms of releases for AMD compared to nVidia where the 970 is quite a way down the list now. That isn't anything like gimping.

Also comparing the hardware - when it comes to things like texture throughput, memory bandwidth and potential compute performance the 970 is quite a bit behind the 480 hardware (by around 30%) - it doesn't really look good for AMD that the 970 was ever even close to the 480 for ingame performance.

Well the 1060 was released after and performed better than the 480 originally, but now it's dropped way down too...

Caporegime

Sure it is, remember around Witcher 3, Nvidia performance had been dropping on, was it Maxwell cards, for like 6 months, with each AAA title getting just a bit further behind on the last gen.

After a huge public outcry and a lot of pressure Nvidia magically found a performance fix in just a couple of days which put Maxwell performance back to where it was a year earlier.

But sure, Nvidia never gimp performance at all.

As for taking multiple drivers into account and there being the odd slowdown here and there, that is true... except it seems incredibly frequent that Nvidia have drivers which cause widespread slowdown, and seemingly confined to previous gen cards, than AMD who have had one or two driver sets in multiple years which slowed anything down and they are usually hotfixed in a few days rather than you know 6+ months and following a few weeks of videos, proof, complaints and month long threads on nvidia's on forums.

In terms of which drivers slow down, looking at multiple drivers is silly because it can be used as an excuse, oh we didn't mean to do that. The interesting thing to look at is which drivers have slow down and when they are released. Do they slow the cards down 5-10%, launch a new gen, everyone benchmarks their cards on the latest drivers, then a fixed driver a month later puts performance back, but it still manages to achieve hundreds of reviews showing a bigger performance gap and few if any of them will fix the comparison and many sites will reuse that data over and over again for months or even years as they inject those numbers into graphs for newly released cards.

That Nvidia has frequently purposefully gimped performance is simply fact, Nvidia straight up said there was a performance 'issue' with Maxwell and released a fix straight away, but one they'd ignored for 6+ months until the outrage grew enough to move away from nvidia's own forums.

If they do it now or continually is another question, but once again we have a new card being released and a slow down driver for the last gen, coincidence, it's possible, but seems like more than a coincidence to me.

Man of Honour
But sure, Nvidia never gimp performance at all.

That doesn't prove nvidia gimp performance at all - one game which as easily as anything was a bug or oversight. Again looking at one driver or one game in isolation while the well known tech sites have run countless roundups that have proved there is little to no gimping of performance going on.

That Nvidia has frequently purposefully gimped performance is simply fact

I just showed above that is isn't - you can follow through the video (comments by other well known tech reviewers) to see that it isn't fact.

Well the 1060 was released after and performed better than the 480 originally, but now it's dropped way down too...

As much as anything that is because some games have come out lately that run well on AMD GPUs - that isn't due to the 1060 being gimped. The Vega 56 for instance can compete well against the 1080 in some recent games if they feature heavily in the roundup while if you go back a few months without the newer games it is largely much further behind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Roundups that have looked at more than one driver haven't found a trend of any significant slowing down - you'll always get the odd driver that has issues or is faster/slower than an older/newer driver and sometimes a game where a fix results in a small FPS loss, etc.

EDIT: Interestingly even in the comments people have posted links to mainstream youtubers who've debunked that video for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6id-sZ1I3c

They don't - people have only come up with this notion from comparing individual drivers in isolation - if you compare a spread of older and newer drivers there are rarely any significant differences - infact in some cases small improvements.

From what i have seen and heard around here. The gimping driver just so happened to be the release driver for the 2080. So in reviews the 1080ti took a performance hit to make the 2080 look that much better. Users have said they regained the performance back in later drivers. It's very underhanded but also smart as the initial reviews are what people look at and mainly where people get there performance impressions. So Nvidia made the 2080 look better than what it is against the 1080ti and then gave the performance back later.

Man of Honour
From what i have seen and heard around here. The gimping driver just so happened to be the release driver for the 2080. So in reviews the 1080ti took a performance hit to make the 2080 look that much better. Users have said they regained the performance back in later drivers. It's very underhanded but also smart as the initial reviews are what people look at and mainly where people get there performance impressions. So Nvidia made the 2080 look better than what it is against the 1080ti and then gave the performance back later.

Not saying it wasn't the case but it is pure assumption that it was done intentionally as you said the drivers either side of it the 1080ti runs at its proper performance. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had but people keep highlighting incidents in isolation and extrapolating a story from there while it has been shown by various sites not to be an indication of a general trend.

Permabanned
Not saying it wasn't the case but it is pure assumption that it was done intentionally as you said the drivers either side of it the 1080ti runs at its proper performance. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had but people keep highlighting incidents in isolation and extrapolating a story from there while it has been shown by various sites not to be an indication of a general trend.

Various sites against other various sites which show a clear trend of worsening performance with new GeForce drivers.

Man of Honour
Various sites against other various sites which show a clear trend of worsening performance with new GeForce drivers.

You have a small number of individual/small channel YouTubers claiming that - against established tech sites/channels like Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, etc. that not only show a different picture but have even gone as far as to debunk those videos from smaller channels claiming otherwise (as per the one I linked).

I mean on one of those videos you linked like the 3rd comment down or something links to a video that thoroughly dismisses its claims with vigorous testing.

Permabanned
You have a small number of individual/small channel YouTubers claiming that - against established tech sites/channels like Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, etc. that not only show a different picture but have even gone as far as to debunk those videos from smaller channels claiming otherwise (as per the one I linked).

I mean on one of those videos you linked like the 3rd comment down or something links to a video that thoroughly dismisses its claims with vigorous testing.

"Established" tech sites very often spread lies / as well as get money/products from nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom