Apple One

Man of Honour
Does anyone subscribe to it? I cancelled my Deezer Family subscription as I think they've put the price up and so have Spotify it seems. Currently I pay separately for 200 GB of iCloud storage and have some family members on it plus a lot of photos, but that's filling up. We also watch Apple TV+ and although the free period has been extended, I actually have no idea until when. Apple One, with Fitness (which we both used to use), Apple Music, 2TB of iCloud, News etc is £29.99. Just curious what people here do for their subscriptions services?

Commissario
Apple One shared between four adult family members.

The main thing is the storage but we all use Apple Music, I do watch some stuff on AppleTV+ and I also use Apple News. I don’t know if I use the + part of news or not.

Soldato
I’ve got a full works plan with EE which is mostly paid for by work, I’d subscribe to Apple One otherwise. With the full works plan I get access to Arcade, Music and TV but nothing for iCloud so I pay separately for that.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks both. I've just signed up to the trial. Not sure why I haven't done it sooner as I have a lot of my CDs ripped already which I'm now importing into Music. Then there's the additional benefits which I can share with family.

Commissario
Remember iTunes Match as well. iTunes Match is for music you own, Apple Music is for music you stream.

I pay for iTunes Match as well, some of the CDs I've ripped into iTunes aren't on Apple Music so it still means I can listen to them on any of my devices.

Man of Honour
OP
Remember iTunes Match as well. iTunes Match is for music you own, Apple Music is for music you stream.

I pay for iTunes Match as well, some of the CDs I've ripped into iTunes aren't on Apple Music so it still means I can listen to them on any of my devices.
Were you reading my mind?

I presumed that Apple Music would do this, given there's a check box to sync the library. I couldn't work out why I wasn't seeing it on other devices and was about to come and ask. :cry:

Man of Honour
OP
Not sure I'll use iTunes Match, it looks like it doesn't keep the original quality of all devices and simply streams your content in 256 Kbps from the iTunes Store, rather than keeping the original lossless quality.

Commissario
That's true but you're missing the point slightly. iTunes Match is useful for when you have CDs that aren't available on the iTunes Store. I have a few that have been produced by local bands and they're not on the iTunes Store or available to stream by Apple Music.

I've ripped them into my local Music library on the iMac in lossless and iTunes Match has uploaded them to the cloud. On other devices such as my iPhone and my MBA, I can then play those songs. Without iTunes Match, they wouldn't even be available. Yes, they're in 256kbps but on those devices, it doesn't really matter.

Which is why I said iTunes Match is for music you own - It makes it available everywhere. Of course, it works both ways as well. If you have a really crappy quality song you ripped from a CD years ago at only 64kbps and throw it into Music and there's a higher bitrate version available, you get a free upgrade ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm. I was experimenting last night (with gin) and Apple Music. Using my AirPod Max, I'd play a song I have ripped in lossless, then play the same song from the Apple Music catalogue which also claimed to be lossless. My local copy was superior. Then again that might be gin affecting things and maybe the local copy simply being louder. :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: LiE
Soldato
I've thought of getting Apple One but honestly, the only services I would really use are Apple Music and Apple News+. I'd have to have a look on what is available on Apple TV+ to make a decision. Not sure if there is much on it to pull me in. I've got free Apple Music until September so I don't need to decide until then really,

Man of Honour
OP
I've thought of getting Apple One but honestly, the only services I would really use are Apple Music and Apple News+. I'd have to have a look on what is available on Apple TV+ to make a decision. Not sure if there is much on it to pull me in. I've got free Apple Music until September so I don't need to decide until then really,
I think it really comes into its own if you have family or friends who would use the services.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, that is a good point. I live in a shared house but I wouldn't really want to share the subscription with my housemates.
:cry:

Mine is shared with my mrs and a mate of mine at the moment, but I'm sure it'll end up going to other family members soon.

Associate

iTunes Match is included as part of Apple Music if you didn’t know already.

Man of Honour
OP
iTunes Match is included as part of Apple Music if you didn’t know already.
I did wonder this, but it doesn't appear to be working.

Screenshot-2022-06-01-at-21-24-42.png

I've added a load of music on my MacBook but I can't see it on any other device.

Soldato
Just been reading a bit, is that flag enabled on your devices as well?

Man of Honour
OP
Yup. I had a load of duplicates for some reason so I've resolved that at the source folder level, cleared the library out and then imported all again, it seems to uploading now.

Associate
To the original question: I had the Premier tier for a while but when asking the fam they didn’t use Arcade, News+ and Fitness+ enough to warrant having it. Plus I preferred Spotify’s open platform in regards to devices (and my lot wouldn’t notice any difference in regards to Lossless) so we(I) cancelled and just use the 2TB iCloud storage.

Soldato
I'm a longtime Guardian reader but lately I've been driven up the wall by their opinion article rubbish. I read it via Feedly and have these as other news sources:

The Verge
BBC News
Space.com
The Register

I also subscribe to these as I'm connected to the cities in one way or another but I'm also fed up with Reach PLC which serves all three. All you have to do is read the nearest *live website to you to see how **** they are.

Bath Chronicle
Bristol Post
Plymouth Herald

Things came to a head today when I saw more rubbish from the Guardian being quoted in the Jubilee thread in GD. I've deleted all the news sources along with Feedly and set up News+ instead. I've added these as sources:

Space Exploration topic
BBC News
The Verge
The Times
Edge

I'm not going to read any local news anymore as there's nothing decent but I think I can live with that. The experience has been OK so far, it's not as usable as Feedly but at least I don't see any more rubbish!

Man of Honour
OP
Local news is just horrendous isn't it. Poorly written, ad riddled, click bait rubbish. My local one is so bad that the pages don't even load right when viewing through a DNS ad blocker, and my iPhone gets super hot. I just don't bother anymore.

Back
Top Bottom