Apple refusing to repair IPad due to minor screen damage? Any experience/advice?

Soldato
So my daughter's IPad 2018 had a few problems a month or so ago. I managed to hard restart it, ensured it was backed up, and indeed update its IOS. For a month is was fine, but last week it completely died.

I took it back to John Lewis where I bought it from (with a 3yr warranty) and they sent to a local small little Apple accredited repair place.

They have refused to repair/replace it due to damage. The damage being a minor ding to the glass on the top left corner which my daughter did a year or so ago. The case/corner itself etc is untouched. It's so minor I didn't think anything of it!

It's clear of course this damage in no way is affecting the unit, and is only cosmetic, but they will not repair it, and instead have offered me a like for like replacement for £290!

Anyone else had experience of this sort of mercenary behaviour? Any advice?

Note: I've booked a visit to Apple Reading tomorrow morning to go and to chat to them about it. It's an hours drive, but it's my closest store! I suspect I'm wasting my time, but honestly it just seems so cynical it's unbelievable!

i0VFTNM.jpg

Soldato
OP
Standard practice for apple and Samsung etc. Any damage like that will invalidate your warranty.
So am I absolutely wasting 2hrs of my time driving to the Reading Apple store tomorrow, even though it's totally clear to anyone and everyone that minor damage could in no way be causing the unit to fail?

Or is it worth a try (given how superficial the damage is)?

Soldato
OP
To be fair you can't take a screen off that has damage like that. You need to replace the whole screen and then whatever the problem is with the device.
My local 3rd party repair place said they recon they could.

AND, the official local Apple place said, units are not repaired anyway. They all go back and are all replaced like for like anyway!

Soldato
OP
Nope, not if the screens damaged you can't repair something like that. Yes, the units do get swapped like for like and it should have been if it has warranty.
Understood but this is akin to a cars engine failing, and Ford refusing to fix it because of a scuff to a bumper.

It's not my fault Apple's internal hardware can't last 18months, and that the unit has incurred minor superficial "damage" that doesn't affect it one jott:(

Ultimately is there the slightest chance 2hrs of my time tomorrow won't be wasted?

Permabanned
Ultimately is there the slightest chance 2hrs of my time tomorrow won't be wasted?

It's 50/50 they either going to repair it or not.

I have never heard of any company repairing a device when there's been damage. This isn't the same as a scuff this is actual damage. It's more like saying a cars engine failing due to a crash in the Ford car then them saying they won't fix it because it's damaged.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother going tbh, if it's out of 1 year Apple warranty, and not bought from Apple, you'll just be given the replacement unit cost as that's the only option they'll have sadly. It's sadly the way of electronics now adays.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't bother going tbh, if it's out of 1 year Apple warranty, and not bought from Apple, you'll just be given the replacement unit cost as that's the only option they'll have sadly. It's sadly the way of electronics now adays.
It's within the 3yr warrranty that came with it? The Apple would adhere to?

Soldato
OP
It's 50/50 they either going to repair it or not.

I have never heard of any company repairing a device when there's been damage. This isn't the same as a scuff this is actual damage. It's more like saying a cars engine failing due to a crash in the Ford car then them saying they won't fix it because it's damaged.
Define scuff? It's superficial in that it's small, cosmetic and in no way affects the performance/behaviour of the unit. It's 3mm into a piece of cosmetic glass?

And again, I'd have to say, how is it my fault that Apple hardware can't survive for 18months?

ps: I suspect Apple will turn me down... But if there's the hope they won't or might offer me a better price than £290 for a replacement!?!

Soldato
OP
BTW - I gave the unit to a local 3rd party place to look at and they're fairly sure it's hardware issues inside (given the error codes) after running diagnostics etc.

Permabanned
They only come with a 1 year warranty, John Lewis give the extra years themselves. And they wouldn't do anything under the consumer rights due to not being bought from them :( The best really, would be to escalate with John Lewis.

Yep and this. I would say it's up to John Lewis for the extra warranty. Give their terms and conditions a read over for their extra cover.

Soldato
OP
They only come with a 1 year warranty, John Lewis give the extra years themselves. And they wouldn't do anything under the consumer rights due to not being bought from them :( The best really, would be to escalate with John Lewis.
I've been to JL and the said theyd only listen to the advice from an Apple accredited engineer etc. They recommended i go to a full apple store as a second opinion to the local small place they use.

So surely if it needs repair then from what you say, JL are liable to pay Apple?

Caporegime
Problem is, the damage could have been caused by dropping it, so there could have been shock to the components inside.

I'm by no means defending Apple for this, any manufacturer would refuse a warranty repair if the screen was damaged in that way.

Soldato
Working in the Apple Store we see this very regularly , and as a consumer first I do sympathise with you.

Unfortunately as others have said, it’s outside of the 1 year Apple Warranty, and any damage to a device will invalidate any warranty anyway.

Had it been purchased from Apple directly, we could possibly cover the replacement as Consumer Rights supersede warranty and state damage doesn’t automatically invalidate your rights to a repair or replacement unless certain conditions are met.

As a consumer it’s your liability to prove the iPad was faulty from manufacturer and no damage (remember, not all damage is seen on the outside .. any drops without breakage can damage internal components..) which is difficult, and this Argument needs to be with John Lewis.

Soldato
I've been to JL and the said theyd only listen to the advice from an Apple accredited engineer etc. They recommended i go to a full apple store as a second opinion to the local small place they use.

So surely if it needs repair then from what you say, JL are liable to pay Apple?

Officially, Apple will state it can't be repaired and needs replacing. I'm not sure at that point how companies like JL and Apple deal with costs between them. If JL replace it for free, at some stage they'll probably take the hit on the cost of the replacement iPad, but again, no idea how it actually works.

Soldato
Officially, Apple will state it can't be repaired and needs replacing. I'm not sure at that point how companies like JL and Apple deal with costs between them. If JL replace it for free, at some stage they'll probably take the hit on the cost of the replacement iPad, but again, no idea how it actually works.
JL warranty claims are dealt with by Apple depot within year one, and use their own refurb stock after usually.

Back
Top Bottom