Apple Salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
A good friend who works for Apple told me that you're not allowed to even admit to working for Apple on a public forum - especially an Apple-related one. In fact, I don't think you're even allowed to post.

Salaries must be pretty bad if they're going to those measures to try to stop people talking (as the above data show). There's not anything Apple can do though about an annonymous forum post. ;)

Just a reminder for Apple staff, you are not allowed to discuss pay, benefits, discounts and the sort.

Are you Steve Jobs?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a reminder for Apple staff, you are not allowed to discuss pay, benefits, discounts and the sort.
ohdearaz2.jpg

Sic

Sic

Soldato
There's not anything Apple can do though about an annonymous forum post. ;)

depending on thie individual, it's pretty easy to link a forum post to a real-life individual. There's one person who I don't know at all on these forums, but I know he works for Apple and I know his name purely based on links in his profile.

Soldato
Can't believe over 20 replies and no straight answer. I googled and they are indeed secretive about it. I can't see why. Some people were quoting £25k... others £30-40k. If that is true show me the dotted line and I'll sign up, because I'm not sure an Apple "Genius" could tell me anything I don't already know.

After a quick read of the job description, if I were to apply for that job I would not expect to be paid more than £21k, with maybe a few Apple perks thrown in. In fact, you probably start on more like £18k rising into the 20's after certification. The job does not require a degree and you only have a limit hardware set to learn about. Trainee IT technicians get paid less than that and probably do a lot more.

Caporegime
depending on thie individual, it's pretty easy to link a forum post to a real-life individual. There's one person who I don't know at all on these forums, but I know he works for Apple and I know his name purely based on links in his profile.

That's why I said annonymous.;) An account with no links/details and a completley different alias. Or a forum that allows guest postings.

Soldato
Yeah true, and cheers unknowndomain. I havent given out any confidential information, I simply helped someone out who asked me a question :)

PAC2008 The stores don't typically deal with CV's themselves, best bet is to go to the jobs section on the Apple retail site. I myself had never used a MAC before I started.

Caporegime
Why?

It's not unusual for technology companies.

The only logical reason I can think of for a company doing that is because conditions are so bad that they would get a bad rep and no one would want to apply to work for the company anymore if anyone spoke out about it's practices.

Hearing about the sort of stuff that goes on in microsoft it doesn't suprise me really.

Soldato
Salary is irrelevant for me, I know it cannot be worse than my current. I think it is fanboism thats taking over! :p and this is making me really want to work for Apple.

Either Manchester or Trafford Centre would be cool.

I'm hopefully taking my exam before the end of July, and even though you (Vader) say it isnt needed. I want to do it for myself, and I guess it cannot help my application if perhaps other parts are not upto scratch.

I really hope it works out for me!. Not seen a Disabled Person work in an Apple store before. I hope that'll be changing soon.

:)

Edit: Yea I did EVH, Thanks bud.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If they build an Apple store down here, I'd apply.

Good luck to anyone who is willing to take a job.. there are people who like to scrounge off others. That's for another thread :o

You get my email PAC?

Soldato
The only logical reason I can think of for a company doing that is because conditions are so bad that they would get a bad rep and no one would want to apply to work for the company anymore if anyone spoke out about it's practices.

Hearing about the sort of stuff that goes on in microsoft it doesn't suprise me really.

You really think that's why? You think it's because they get paid £3.10 an hour and have to clean the toilet themselves?

Do you not think possibly it's because they're just a bit weird and secretive?

Apple employees are paid very well for their sector, and treated extremely well.

The reason they're not allowed to talk is not because of reputation, or maltreatment, it's just that Apple are a bit weird and secretive. They're a technology company, who tend to be secretive, and they also work on a retail model that is COMPLETELY different to EVERYONE ELSE. The staff are discouraged from talking about what goes on behind the scenes because... wait for it... They don't want other companies to find out!

It's the same in mobile phone shops, other big technology companies, all sorts of companies - especially those that deal with technology and the bleeding edge of stuff.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you not think possibly it's because they're just a bit weird and secretive?

I tend to go with the logical reason, being secretive would just reduce profits as there are less people competing to get a job there, which is not a logical business practice. Besides which were talking about retail assistants here, not top secret technology developers. Companies like google on the other hand are very open about how their employees work which results in more people wanting to work there. The reason for Apple being secretive is therefore likely to be because working for them is nothing special.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tend to go with the logical reason, being secretive would just reduce profits as there are less people competing to get a job there, which is not a logical business practice. Besides which were talking about retail assistants here, not top secret technology developers. Companies like google on the other hand are very open about how their employees work which results in more people wanting to work there.

Ok.

Explain:

a) Apple's MASSIVE profits

b) The MASSIVE amount of applicants for EVERY position that comes up in the retail stores

Yeah, they'd better change their ways sharpish

Caporegime
Ok.

Explain:

a) Apple's MASSIVE profits

Because they sell products people want to buy. Heh in fact funnily enough paying staff less would increase profits.

b) The MASSIVE amount of applicants for EVERY position that comes up in the retail stores

Do you have a source for that? Oh no of course not because it's "secret".

Like I said by keeping it secret it keeps the numbers of applicants higher if working conditions are just average. Secondly working conditions are not the only reason people apply for the job. A better figure to look at would be staff turnover.

Your taking what I said completley out of context, what does Apples policy of not letting staff tell people their wages have to do with their corporate profits? You haven't given me any convincing reason to believe that the secrecy is not down to unspectacular working conditions.

Last edited:
Soldato

It seems clear that apple underpays their engineers but I'm unsure if this practice follows onto the retail staff. One reason to change their ways is that if they continue to underpay people then many of them will likely move onto other companies that will pay more.

http://hurvitz.org/blog/2008/06/apples-engineers-profit-center said:
In 2003 and 2004, the effect of underpaying its engineers made a huge difference to Apple’s bottom line. In 2003, these savings turned around Apple’s year: from a loss to a small profit. In 2004, they doubled the profit. However, once Apple’s earnings began to skyrocket in 2005, the effect of the R&D savings became much smaller: just 6% of the net income in 2007

Also quite interesting:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/06/10/at-glassdoor-find-out-how-much-people-really-make-at-google-microsoft-yahoo-and-everywhere-else/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom