Apple to replace Intel and move to ARM - *** Confirmed as "Apple Silicon" ***

Geekbench result of Ryzen 5900X:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4247508

84D9Mv1.png

Geekbench result of Apple A14:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4257356

KMyqIEk.png

The same Geekbench results for Single-Core performance between the two. Interestingly, very similar subscores as well.

Basically, assuming Apple will run the Mac cores at the same clock speed as the iPhone ones, we're going to get the performance of desktop high-clocked Zen 3 cores in Apple laptops!

That’s impressive, smaller instruction set of course so some uses will be slower but still impressive, particularly when running Rosetta/emulated apps in the early days.

The A14 also only has 4 big cores doesn’t it? Scale that up to 12 and it will not be far off a 5900X, pretty nuts.

The A14 bionic looks more than enough CPU for a MacBook Air form factor already.

That’s impressive, smaller instruction set of course so some uses will be slower but still impressive, particularly when running Rosetta/emulated apps in the early days.

The A14 also only has 4 big cores doesn’t it? Scale that up to 12 and it will not be far off a 5900X, pretty nuts.

The A14 bionic looks more than enough CPU for a MacBook Air form factor already.

I think Anandtech tested ARM vs x86 instructions in their SPEC benchmarks, ARM runs through 10% more for the same tasks, so while there's a difference that's pretty much the extent of it. People often blow it way out of proportion, expecting ARM to have many times more. ARM v9 will increase instructions again, effectively there's no difference these days.

A14 has only 2 big cores, 4 small cores. A14 is already pretty capable, but a 6-big core A14-type processor will effectively be faster than 100% of laptops out there. Maybe for a 13-inch Macbook Pro?

There's a good chance these laptops will be faster at running x86 core (through emulation) than a lot of the Macbooks out there, and a lot of all other laptops too.

Last edited:
All aboard!

In all seriousness, I’m very interested in this release, in time this has the potential to make X86 obsolete in the consumer and prosumer market. Another reality could be the start of a new dark age for the Mac.

Mac user or not, you have to admit this transition is very interesting and has the potential to shape desktop computing in the years to come.

People keep banging on about AMD vs intel but ARM is a far bigger long term strategic threat to the both of them with a huge potential for growth.

Finally! I was expecting it to be the week after next, but happy to be wrong about this.

It seems that it will be a Macbook as rumoured, and I'm expecting there to be a Mac Mini as well (for developers to replace the DTK).

So are we expecting the A14x or a special new macbook variant of the A14 chip?

They said they'll be developing new chips for Macs. I do expect at least one Mac-only chip.

All rumours point to an early or mid 2021 release with MiniLED displays and A14X variants.

I can see them developing special chips for the iMac series, but not sure about laptops. The Macbook air im sure will just be a A14x with the pro's maybe getting a different one.

Back
Top Bottom