1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple to replace Intel and move to ARM - *Confirmed*

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by UberTiger, Jun 9, 2020.

1. ChrisD.

Capodecina

As per my reply to the other poster worrying, I don't see any reason why you would. Keep it and enjoy it for years to come.

2. DezUk

Wise Guy

I know its just annoying that pretty much as soon as I buy it=, it then becomes near obsolete, typical, after nearly 6 years without upgrading. But then my other machine totally fked although my old man did manage to get it to power back up and works using HDMI out. As for the spec I got a the extra ram and gfx so as the machine would last me longer and be a bit more future proof. I do plan on getting into music production though and the odd bit of video production.

3. HACO

Hitman

There's absolutely no reason for concern.

The Mac install base is about 125 million. Apple sells about 20 million macs per year, and Apple will continue to sell Intel macs for the next 2 years. Even after a year of full ARM mac sales, they'll only be about 10% of the install base. After 5 years they will be about 50%. It would absolutely see you through to the next 4-5 years.

4. DezUk

Wise Guy

Thanks for the reassurance, I have literally just this second installed Bootcamp on my MBP!....... wanted to test out some gaming for the fist time in years and will be needed for my new job.

5. ChrisD.

Capodecina

It's not going to be great to be honest, it'll get very warm!

6. The_Abyss

Capodecina

lol, 'near obsolete'!

You're probably in the sweet spot. You've got high end performance that'll last well until the new ARM machines are fully bedded in, creases ironed out and performance understood and quantified. I'm in the same boat with an i9 iMac. Ignore the FOMO - the ARM machines aren't even released yet. You've got the best tool for the job, and by the time the next best tool comes around, you'll be ready to change.

7. ChrisD.

Capodecina

ARM aren't going to in the Pro models until the very end.

8. LiE

Capodecina

Exactly. I can see them coming in to replace the Macbook Air first at the end of the year, then potentially when we have a redesigned iMac then we will see it there.

I'm most interested in a very thin and light laptop that runs cool, quiet and has grunt.

9. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

I’m not sure I agree, I think they’ll want to enter with a big bang and a decent performance jump.

The A12Z is already at least as fast as Air (if benchmarks are to be believed) and there is not that much of a gap between the Air, A12Z and 13” pro.

If they replace the air first, they could just kill their 13” MBP sales and the MBP is priced considerably higher.

10. LiE

Capodecina

Whatever happens it will shake up their current line up. They may potentially drop certain models. As soon as ARM is available to buy, I cannot see anyone buying intel based Macs.

Maybe they will go with the MBA with a slower variant and a MBP variant that is their flag ship chip.

Certainly the MBA is an obvious candidate, it will really benefit from the speed bump and cooler chips.

11. ChrisD.

Capodecina

To be fair the entry level 13" Pro is only Pro in name.

12. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

The pro has a much better more colour accurate screen, extra ports and support for more memory etc, so a number of differences important to a pro

13. ChrisD.

Capodecina

True but the i5 CPU in it is quite underpowered IMO.

14. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

Slower DDR3 as well.

15. HACO

Hitman

Not every "Pro" prioritises raw performance. There isn't only one type of "Pro" needing one type of product that prioritises one specific thing.

Anyway, "Pro" is a name and just a branding in every single product in the entire world that uses a variant of that name. It's meaningless from a tech perspective. It always has been, it always will be.

16. LiE

Capodecina

Sure there are exceptions, but I'd say the majority of pro workflows benefit from more speed.

17. HACO

Hitman

Well if you define a "Pro workflow" as one that requires a lot of raw performance, then it's pretty obvious that majority of "Pro workflows" (based on that definition), will require a lot of raw performance.

Dell Precision laptops also use Core i5 CPUs in their entry level models.

18. kingteeb

Gangster

Gutting to have a fairly new laptop that is going to be obsolete soon with an abhorrent keyboard. Was looking at selling it soon to get max value so I can just get one with a better keyboard, but really not looking worth it now.

19. Feek

Commissario

Huh, what planet are you on?

20. kingteeb

Gangster

The one with butterfly key switches and progressively less support for industry standard software over the next few years. Had my old laptop for about 8, don't expect to have this one for as long given the circumstances.