1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aqua Computer Aquaero Owners thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by DataVampire, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Cenedd

Wise Guy

An Aquaero 6 can supply enough power from a channel to power all but the most ludicrous of pumps (30W if memory serves correctly).
    You'll probably find that the pump is wired assuming that whatever you plug the 4-pin fan cable into cannot provide that amount of power. The usual is to take power from the molex and provide sense (rpm readout) and maybe control (PWM) on the fan header. Count how many wires you have on the 4-pin plug. You can probably re-wire it if you can crimp fan pins on and shove them in the empty slots in the fan plug (wires in the appropriate places, naturally). There is a product that does this for you but it's aimed at 3-pin fan header. For reference, that is https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aqua...dc-poweradjust-2-aquaero-5.6-wc-277-aq.html

2. Mcthommo

Gangster

Thanks Cenedd- it's what I was kinda thinking

3. LuckyBenski

Mobster

Yes but you'd have to configure that channel as PWM control rather than voltage. So it depends what else you want on that channel.

4. Mcthommo

Gangster

I will only be using one channel for fans as only 6 in build so will leave me with a further 3 channels so should be good- thanks for the heads up though LB

5. Bugbait

Gangster

Should be fine, problems usually only arise when the 4 pin doesn't fully conform to PWM specifications (fairly sure Corsair's do though). I run my PWM fans off Molex with a separate PWM connector to the Aquaero 6.

6. Mcthommo

Gangster

Thx for that bugbait- I use a splitty for my fans so single connection to the Ae and will use a separate channel for the pump. Waiting for the gpu block to turn up as wasn’t in the first order ‍♂️

7. Chaos666

Gangster

idk... is it just me? but when i bough me aquaero i was very excited... now i completely forgot about :) it just sits the doing its job.. :/
    biggest advantage for me is that my fans on the radiator spin based on my water temperature .. not cpu ...

8. LuckyBenski

Mobster

That, and the fact you can shutdown if the pump fails, are the two things I care about. My pump occasionally doesn't start (maybe twice a year, seems like a logic fault).

9. tyler_jrb

Mobster

Mine are on gpu temp. Cpu controlled fans are just far too irratic for my liking. But most of the time it is forgotten about, never given me any issues. Ocasionally spin up the pumps to ensure everything is as it should be (both running and air bled etc).

To be honest don't think i could live without one. Great piece of kit.

10. Cenedd

Wise Guy

Then it's doing exactly what you want it to do. It comes into its own (if set up right) when stuff goes wrong. Sudden drop in the res level and off goes the alarm telling you that your carpet is getting a soaking (I'll give you one guess!).

I've also got one running the fans on my server cupboard and reporting back temps to my desktop via Aquasuite. Again, it's not the flashiness that's important, it's the set and forget peace of mind.

11. Mcthommo

Gangster

Client has just given me a commander pro for this build- 6 rgb fans gpu/cpu block and rgb pump/reservoir. Not used one of these for water cooling but would it be reasonable to use this for all and leave the AE6 out of this build due to space? Think it would control the pump via pwm rather than the AE6 which may not?

12. Cenedd

Wise Guy

Whatever works for the build. You'll find the Aquaero will control the pump one way or another - it may work on split connectors (supplying control but not power) or it may not. I know it's worked for some people and that it didn't work when I tried it on some massively over-the-top fan. I believe it comes down to the implementation of PWM - not everyone interprets or implements the standard the same.
    If it doesn't work, the pump will almost certainly draw less than the 30W the Aquaero 6 will supply so you can re-pin/rewire it to run off a single 4-pin fan plug. Likely to make your wiring-spaghetti more manageable but an extra step.
    I don't know the other product well enough to say if it will handle all of it or not. If you have access to the stuff, plug it in (just hot-wire a PSU) and see what works and what doesn't. Your pump may not like being run dry so you may need to set up a small loop or just have it pump water out of a bowl and back into it again.