Arcade High Scores! Current Game: Star Wars! - COME ON IN!

Soldato
So is it only the hammer where you can get infinite throws? I just tried the game and I can't qualify for javelin and failed after my 3 attempts, so I end up with an game over screen.
No the game just loops with the requirements to qualify going up each time. The suggestion is just to log your score after the high jump and call it there. Makes sense to me or it could go on for a while.

Soldato
OP
No the game just loops with the requirements to qualify going up each time. The suggestion is just to log your score after the high jump and call it there. Makes sense to me or it could go on for a while.
I think I understand now, I take it the High Jump is the final event? Then after that it goes back to the 100 Meter Dash but you now have to be even quicker?

Sounds like 1 would be a better option for this then.

Soldato
I don't have an ideal control system for this.

Have tried keyboard, Xbox 360 controller on A and B and Xbox 360 left and right (suspect this would destroy the controller in short order and my wife not really keen on the noise either). Not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

Maybe I need that Arcade Stick (8Bitdo perhaps) I was considering getting a few weeks ago. I'm sure old games would be better on more authentic controls.

When I've played this in the past on MAME I've enabled the cheat which takes the legwork out of things.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trying to wrap my head around this. I admit, I've never played so not sure how this game even works. Are you suggesting we have 1 go at each event? I'll jump on soon and take a look at the game.

Is it possible to play an specific event? If so, we could post individual best scores and I just add them up? I had it in my mind that this game would run through all the events one after another and you get a final score.
No, see in the dip switch settings - you can choose either continue after game end or continues, after game end the game ends after one round, continue you can play indefinetely.

Soldato
So is it only the hammer where you can get infinite throws? I just tried the game and I can't qualify for javelin and failed after my 3 attempts, so I end up with an game over screen.
you get 3 goes on all the events other than the 100m and hurdles. If you continue it does get progressively harder but even on the hardest level when you are half decent at the game you can play till your bored, granted ive been playing this game since i was a kid. Some tips.

45 deg angle for everything.
high jump - jump close, tippy tappy till your bum clears the pole.

Soldato
New high score - 85190

updated new records

100m 8.42 (not new)
long jump (9.36 ) new
javelin 92.67 (new)
hurdles 10.39 (new)
hammer 95.41 (new)
high jump (2.37m (not new)

high jump, long jump and javelin all can be marginally improved, hammer, 100m and 110m hurdles id struggle to improve more on.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
New high score - 85190

updated new records

100m 8.42 (not new)
long jump (9.36 ) new
javelin 92.67 (new)
hurdles 10.39 (new)
hammer 95.41 (new)
high jump (2.37m (not new)

high jump, long jump and javelin all can be marginally improved, hammer, 100m and 110m hurdles id struggle to improve more on.
Are you on arcade stick or controller? Which button mashing method do you use?

Bit scared of mashing mine, don't want to break it! :cry:

Soldato
Are you on arcade stick or controller? Which button mashing method do you use?

Bit scared of mashing mine, don't want to break it! :cry:
i use joystick for waggling (goes back to my old c64 days) and button for jump. I could probably do it faster on a gamepad, my old method for track and field on the playstation was to use a bit of my t-shirt and wipe the run buttons :D

Soldato
That reminds me of Daley Thompson's Decathlon, the old joystick breaker, especially the 1500M.

I'm nowhere near 8.4secs on 100M, more like 10s. Best method for me so far is analogue stick on 360 controller but much too slow.

Soldato
Yeah 360 pad. Wireless though so maybe not ideal.

I didn't have a t-shirt to hand but had a fleece on so gave that a try. Tried rubbing the buttons through the fleece back and forth over the buttons. Could hardly get the guy off the mark. Tried a slightly longer travel and eventually managed about 11 seconds. Then tried a round soft pen on B and Y buttons and that is a little better...but so noisy and a bit long.

Anyway stick arriving tomorrow so maybe that will work better for me. At least if I destroy buttons or stick they can easily be replaced.

I was never super hot at T&F but could usually get through round one, if I could get lucky on the hammer throw.

Anyway 27,080 high score at the moment. Keep failing at 110M hurdles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah 360 pad. Wireless though so maybe not ideal.

I didn't have a t-shirt to hand but had a fleece on so gave that a try. Tried rubbing the buttons through the fleece back and forth over the buttons. Could hardly get the guy off the mark. Tried a slightly longer travel and eventually managed about 11 seconds. Then tried a round soft pen on B and Y buttons and that is a little better...but so noisy and a bit long.

Anyway stick arriving tomorrow so maybe that will work better for me. At least if I destroy buttons or stick they can easily be replaced.

I was never super hot at T&F but could usually get through round one, if I could get lucky on the hammer throw.

Anyway 27,080 high score at the moment. Keep failing at 110M hurdles.
What are you playing it on? Im going to give it a go on my pi5 today, ive been setting my times with my mister, i wonder what the difference would be.

Soldato
I'm running it in MAME on my desktop pc. It should be capable enough.

The Xbox 360 pad is wireless through one of those proprietary dongles they come with. It might be slowing things up but in all honestly it's probably me and my technique.

I've got a Arduino based home made star wars yoke with microswitches so I might get that out and try hammering that fast. I'm not sure of the polling rate of the Arduino though but it was certainly fast enough to play star wars.

I do have a wired pad somewhere with a different button design so might give that a shot.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good excuse to get on fighting games! :p

I recently bought a Mayflash F500 Elite, since my previous stick developed an issue.

If you ever get an itch for using it more often, stick in some SANWA parts. I have SANWA joystick and buttons on mine. Today I'm going to do a slight mod to change the tension spring to be a little more firm and change my ball top to an bat top

Soldato
Yeah I used to really like fighting games like some of the Sreet Fighter 2 games, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur and going back further IK+, Way of the exploding fist, even Fist 2!

Soldato
Good excuse to get on fighting games! :p

I recently bought a Mayflash F500 Elite, since my previous stick developed an issue.

If you ever get an itch for using it more often, stick in some SANWA parts. I have SANWA joystick and buttons on mine. Today I'm going to do a slight mod to change the tension spring to be a little more firm and change my ball top to an bat top
I have the same Mayflash F500 elite its a great stick, i also have the 8bitdo and a 13 year old SFIV xbox fightstick but the mayflash is the best by far.

Back
Top Bottom