Are EV’s really the way to go?

Associate
We are being told that EV’s are the way we all need to go if we want to be reduce our carbon footprint and so on. There many variables to consider when discussing the EV vs ice and so on. Volvo have released a good report comparing their xc40 ICE and EV and which one pollutes more. Makes a interesting read. Here the article:

https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/...electric-light/volvo-cars-LCA-report-xc40.pdf

and if you just want the bullet points, autotrader made a good video on it also.

ps also I am sorry if it been shared before, I did do a quick search but didn’t see anything.

Soldato
Personally, I think the planet is a lost cause. There are far more important things we as a species can be doing before buying EVs....mainly world governments and big businesses.

Ignoring the environment, EVs are pretty awesome in their own right.

Associate
OP
Personally, I think the planet is a lost cause. There are far more important things we as a species can be doing before buying EVs....mainly world governments and big businesses.

Ignoring the environment, EVs are pretty awesome in their own right.
100 % agree.

Soldato
A giant block of batteries doesn't seem like a sustainable solution to me.

Electric drivetrain is cool tho, just need to power it differently, whether that's hydrogen or something else idk.

Whatever the energy source is, it needs to be able to be made in the UK.

Associate
OP
A giant block of batteries doesn't seem like a sustainable solution to me.

Electric drivetrain is cool tho, just need to power it differently, whether that's hydrogen or something else idk.

Whatever the energy source is, it needs to be able to be made in the UK.

I certainly think hydrogen will be used for HGV, hopefully will be more main stream and used in cars eventually. I personally think EV are a stop gap until we develop some more stainable.

Caporegime
There’s no denying the localised air quality improvement from EV vs ICE. Also, as detailed as Volvo’s study is, at the end of the day the XC40 platform isn’t an EV first platform, so isn’t going to be representative of the best EV has to offer in terms of packaging and efficiency.

That isn’t to say there aren’t inherently polluting parts of the EV manufacturing and supply chains, but they will only become more refined and more efficient with time.

Soldato
We are being told that EV’s are the way we all need to go if we want to be reduce our carbon footprint and so on. There many variables to consider when discussing the EV vs ice and so on. Volvo have released a good report comparing their xc40 ICE and EV and which one pollutes more. Makes a interesting read. Here the article:

https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/...electric-light/volvo-cars-LCA-report-xc40.pdf

and if you just want the bullet points, autotrader made a good video on it also.

ps also I am sorry if it been shared before, I did do a quick search but didn’t see anything.

They certainly are if you enjoy hurling two and a half tonne cars through bends. The Merc EQV weighs 2960 kg ... porking nora :eek:

Soldato
Volvo’s is a conservative estimate but it still shows it’s pretty damning for ICE. The fact you can run the EV on none renewable energy and still be better for the environment really confirms the nail is in the coffin for ICE. Considering most EV owners have 100% sustainable energy sources for their cars then it will air much more towards the optimistic end of the scale. For most it will be year 1 or 2 and you will have emitted less than an efficient ICE car https://www.reuters.com/business/au...lectric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

By the time the industry gets its act together for hydrogen, EV will already have a foothold and be a mainstay.

Associate
OP
Volvo’s is a conservative estimate but it still shows it’s pretty damning for ICE. The fact you can run the EV on none renewable energy and still be better for the environment really confirms the nail is in the coffin for ICE. Considering most EV owners have 100% sustainable energy sources for their cars then it will air much more towards the optimistic end of the scale. For most it will be year 1 or 2 and you will have emitted less than an efficient ICE car https://www.reuters.com/business/au...lectric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

If ever EV owner used green energy, yes it’s all good. But I bet there loads out there who don’t consider that side of it. What about that those who’s energy comes for coal plants still????
What about those EV cars that are having there batteries replace by 50k miles. The clock starts again. I know it’s not a low number of cars that are having there batteries replaced but it is happening.

Soldato
If ever EV owner used green energy, yes it’s all good. But I bet there loads out there who don’t consider that side of it. What about that those who’s energy comes for coal plants still????
What about those EV cars that are having there batteries replace by 50k miles. The clock starts again. I know it’s not a low number of cars that are having there batteries replaced but it is happening.
EV owners get special tariffs such as Octopus Go etc. that give them 7.5p/kWh rates. They are all 100% sustainable energy sources. An EV owner would have to be insane to not take advantage of these tariffs. They are not available to people without EVs.

Batteries are designed for 500k and soon 1m miles (going from Tesla numbers).

Caporegime

What about those cars that need their engine replacing, or any number of oil changes, clutches and plethora of other replacement parts? You can’t count outliers in any meaningful way.

Associate
OP
EV owners get special tariffs such as Octopus Go etc. that give them 7.5p/kWh rates. They are all 100% sustainable energy sources. An EV owner would have to be insane to not take advantage of these tariffs. They are not available to people without EVs.

Batteries are designed for 500k and soon 1m miles (going from Tesla numbers).

Yes here in the U.K. they can have a energy provider like that. What about the rest of the world.

Associate
OP
What about those cars that need their engine replacing, or any number of oil changes, clutches and plethora of other replacement parts? You can’t count outliers in any meaningful way.
Going to use a oil change as equivalent argument. An engine replacement yes, but an oil change.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice idea but way too much money for me.

When they come up with a new battery Tech i can see them getting much cheaper and then i will think about it.

But i know people who lease them and they are very happy.

Associate
OP
Well they are all signed up to be legally net zero so they will have to all decarbonise their electricity supply. No more coal or gas in the future.
Let hope they do follow through with that. I know if I was to go EV I would seriously consider, having solar panels fitted with a battery storage system. I also personally think that all new builds should come with these. I am not arguing and not anti EV. Just wanted to promote a good debate taking the Volvo report.

Back
Top Bottom