Are gaming mouse mats worth it?

Don
yes! I've got the OcuK desk matt! it's huge but well worth it! also it's so smooth with my Razor Deathadder

Same here, never looked back.

My favourite mouse mat was my fUnc1030 pad. Mice have come a long way since I had that though, they work perfectly well on the OcUK super sized desk mat

Associate
+1 for XXL OCUK Mat

I thought they were more for show too, but my accuracy has definitely improved a bit from less friction using mouse directly on desk surface. I was also marking the desk surface too, so less moaning from the wife...

Large mat is good as you can get your whole arm onto the mat and you don't get the edge of the mat rubbing your wrist raw :D

Associate
Another xxl mat user here, it is amazing and so much smoother than scraping my mouse across the rough desk surface. I don't know if it makes any difference to my gaming as I still suck but its much more enjoyable to use. It also ties in with my mobo colour which is a nice bonus.

Soldato
Nope, I'm still rocking my Allsop Raindrop for over 10 years. Funny thing is, that, this was the pro gaming pad that 'pros' used back in the day, before the gravy train of 'gaming' accessories hit :p

I've tried various gaming pads, but could never get on with them and always gone back to my trusty Allsop

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a G502 coming and I was just wondering if proper mouse mats are worth it, I have a normal material mat that VMware gave me.

Another OCUK MegaMat user here.

Incidentally - Ages of heavy, sweaty usage has resulted in the main mousing area getting dirty off my filthy mitts and the mouse is now sluggish/dragging compared to the cleaner areas.

I no longer have the packaging, so what's the best way to clean these things?
I heard that water can result in fibres poking through which then need to be shaved, or something?

Associate
Another OCUK MegaMat user here.

Incidentally - Ages of heavy, sweaty usage has resulted in the main mousing area getting dirty off my filthy mitts and the mouse is now sluggish/dragging compared to the cleaner areas.

I no longer have the packaging, so what's the best way to clean these things?
I heard that water can result in fibres poking through which then need to be shaved, or something?

Dont quote me on this but i remember reading in a thread on OCUK that someone put theirs through the washing machine with no ill effects :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Amazing how many keep suggesting the huge mats when the guy has stated a few times he only has room for a regular size mat...

I use the Steelseries something or other, cost about £5 I think, bought it the same time as the Kana v2 mouse - seems ok, does the job of going between the mouse and the table and didn't cost much, job jobbed.

Edit: QCK mini it is.

Soldato
Amazing how many keep suggesting the huge mats when the guy has stated a few times he only has room for a regular size mat...

He said once that he doesn't want a massive one.
I suspect one reason so many people are jumping in to recommend the OCUK ones (of varying sizes) is that they themselves felt it was way too much, until they got to try it out and now wouldn't have anything else - I know I was like that and several others have followed after trying mine too.
Plus it's very good anyway, especially given how expensive other mats can be and you can cut these things to size/shape as well.
If nothing else, you can cut it up into several 25x25cm mats and have years' supply of them! :D

Back
Top Bottom