Poll: Are mushy peas acceptable in a fry up?

Are mushy peas acceptable in a fry up?

• Yes

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • No, you're a monster

Votes: 240 87.3%
  • Pancakes all the way.

Votes: 16 5.8%

• Total voters
Permabanned
I have been engaged in a number of heated arguments during lockdown with loved ones over the acceptability of mushy peas in a fry up. I like to have a fry up once a week for dinner and a staple part of that fry up for me is a tin of humble mushy peas, or as they are known in very expensive French restaurants "purée de pois."

Mushy peas date back to the 12th century when the Byzantine Empire found a way to reliably and safely cultivate and can marrowfat peas that had been broken down in boiling water until they reach a chunky consistency, almost like a very thick soup. It is estimated that during the Second World War, the Third Reich had hoarded upwards of 3,000 tons of tinned mushy peas, a stockpile personally ordered by Heinrich Himmler.

In more recent times, the humble mushy pea has been genetically isolated and tins are now grown on a huge commercial scale. Thousands of seasonal labour travels to the UK from Europe for several months of the year, during which time they will hand pick tins from the ground to be washed, labelled and sold throughout the UK. A typical tin of mushy peas will grow to a weight of around 330g.

cq7R1hT.png
Pictured: a freshly labelled tin of mushy peas after being picked at a farm.

Whilst the most common setting for the humble mushed pea is at a traditional British fish and chip boutique, I find myself drawn to them as a far superior replacement for the widely popular (but ultimately disgusting) baked bean. This brilliant substitution is met with much ire from friends, family, colleagues and confused strangers I lecture at the supermarket.

OfvNj7t.jpg
Pictured: a tin can believed to have contained mushy peas, found on the shores of Corsica and dated to circa 1150AD.

I want to ask the learned regulars of GD what their opinion on this matter of extreme culinary relevance is. Is the mighty mushy pea acceptable in a fry up? How do you enjoy your mushy peas - with a teaspoon of English mustard stirred in? Are you one of those weirdos who actually likes baked beans?

If a mod would be so gracious as to add a poll, it would be much appreciated and the results will form the basis of my upcoming doctoral thesis.

Thank you and God bless xx

Man of Honour
Each to their own. But seriously mushy peas on a fry up? Mushy peas and pies are fine, mushy peas with fish and chips is a winner, in fact mushy peas on any chips based dish works.... but with bacon and egg, hell no. This is exactly what baked beans are for.

Caporegime
What? No! No, no and thrice no! What sort of breakdown in society are you aiming for? This is incredibly dangerous behaviour and could incite riots and protest marches. Dear god man, what were you thinking!? Won’t you please think of the children!?

Soldato
How are we defining "fry up" mixed grill - chops, steak, sausage, etc + chips and onion rings OK. If we mean sausage, bacon, black pudding, fried bread, fried eggs, hash browns/scalloped taters etc then NOT OK.

Permabanned
OP
Each to their own. But seriously mushy peas on a fry up? Mushy peas and pies are fine, mushy peas with fish and chips is a winner, in fact mushy peas on any chips based dish works.... but with bacon and egg, hell no. This is exactly what baked beans are for.

The mushy peas have that perfect glue-like consistency that helps everything stick together on the end of a fork though?!

Mushy peas in a fry up sandwich are another excellent use for them.

Do you lot seriously like baked beans???

How are we defining "fry up" mixed grill - chops, steak, sausage, etc + chips and onion rings OK. If we mean sausage, bacon, black pudding, fried bread, fried eggs, hash browns/scalloped taters etc then NOT OK.

Theo's Thursday Night Fry Up (not to be confused with Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway):
  • Sausage
  • Egg
  • Bacon
  • Haggis
  • Fried onions
  • Mushy peas
  • Brown sauce
  • English mustard
And obviously a few slices of bread and butter.

Caporegime
Heretic! pie or battered fish/sausage only.

Even better if you add mint sauce to the mushy peas and then acceptable to have with lamb.

But a fry up? No way! Baked beans FTW

Back
Top Bottom