• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are Nvidia and AMD price fixing again?

Soldato
There's no price fixing going on for GPUs, it's simply the companies discovering that the market could bear higher prices, as well as a change in the evolution of hardware development which also leads to higher prices for increasingly smaller gains year on year. Same thing that's happened with smartphones tbh.

Ultimately, a lot of people seem to expect tech to advance at the same rate as it has in the past but this is obviously inane - you simply can't grow forever & at the same pace.

Soldato
I've maintained for a while that the golden age of GPU's is well and truly over. These prices are here to stay. The next Ti nVidia card (3080Ti or whatever they want to call it) will also be £1000+

People who wants to spend £500 or less will just need to buy the relevant tier card or 2nd user.

It's not fun, but it's how it is.

Soldato
I've maintained for a while that the golden age of GPU's is well and truly over. These prices are here to stay. The next Ti nVidia card (3080Ti or whatever they want to call it) will also be £1000+

People who wants to spend £500 or less will just need to buy the relevant tier card or 2nd user.

I don't think the sales of the 2080Ti have been good enough to justify. Failure rates included, I think the interest isn't that high. To be fair I wasn't expecting massive interest just based on the price.

Man of Honour
I don't think the sales of the 2080Ti have been good enough to justify. Failure rates included, I think the interest isn't that high. To be fair I wasn't expecting massive interest just based on the price.

The TROH board makes interesting reading for the 2080 Ti, apart from the fact that there are not many on it the sales have really slowed down in December. There was more new RTX Titan owners in December than 2080 Ti ones.

Apart from the high asking price which is putting people off, the Turing card Tech does not seem to offer people what they actually want.

Caporegime
The TROH board makes interesting reading for the 2080 Ti, apart from the fact that there are not many on it the sales have really slowed down in December. There was more new RTX Titan owners in December than 2080 Ti ones.

Apart from the high asking price which is putting people off, the Turing card Tech does not seem to offer people what they actually want.

Well the cards not really what it was meant to be. IIRC this was meant to be a 7nm card and they had to make do with 12nm if they wanted to have it out in 2018. 7nm would likely have made it an overall faster card and made raytracing more palatable in all likelihood.

V F

V F

Soldato

True, the fact we're already £1,000 plus.

Man of Honour
Well the cards not really what it was meant to be. IIRC this was meant to be a 7nm card and they had to make do with 12nm if they wanted to have it out in 2018. 7nm would likely have made it an overall faster card and made raytracing more palatable in all likelihood.

I am surprised NVidia did not hold out for 7nm with Turing.

Maybe they were worried about the possibility of a card like the Radeon VII coming along and taking sales from the 1080 Ti.

Having said that NVidia could not have known far enough in advance about the Radeon VII to effect launching Turing on 12nm.

Permabanned
I dunno... it is what it is and that is fine, i aint gonna moan about the price of RTX or Radeon 7. what winds me up however is the double standards... Not aimed at an individual and it is not really just aimed at this forum, but I am seeing a hell of a lot more defending AMD with their card pricing, which at the moment at least looks to be on a par with the RTX 2080 price wise and on a par with it performance wise as well, but without RTX or DLSS.

so, everything else aside IF Nvidia are taking the wet yellow stuff on the pricing of the RTX 2080, then what does that say about AMD, given that turing took a truck load of development costs, where as Radeon 7 is just a salvaged failed part which would have otherwise been destined for the bin.

IF NV are ********* with their pricing then surely AMD are just as bad, ?

Yes, they are as bad as each other, They'll both squeeze every penny they can out of consumers.

Soldato
AMD do have better hardware bring up guys.. AMD had the 7nm MI-60 cards out end of November '18, NVidia 2080ti was only 2 months earlier on the older 12nm process. This is why I have been saying that the 20** will be short lived cards, NVidia will milk them for as long as they can of course.

I wouldn't say that AMD are as bad, they could charge more for the 2*** CPU's but they are trying to win back mind/market share so they have to be cheaper than the competition. Lets see what happens when they can best Intel with the 3*** CPU's, I suspect that they will still be cheaper than Intel, but not as cheap as people think they should be. Intel can try and undercut them to mess up the 3*** release as they won't have much to fight them with for a while - apart from dirty tricks.

Caporegime
I am surprised NVidia did not hold out for 7nm with Turing.

Maybe they were worried about the possibility of a card like the Radeon VII coming along and taking sales from the 1080 Ti.

Having said that NVidia could not have known far enough in advance about the Radeon VII to effect launching Turing on 12nm.

Probably down to shareholder pressure if anything. They can probably do a 7nm iteration later this year at some point.

Caporegime
AMD do have better hardware bring up guys..

What does that term mean exactly? I've heard that a few times about "bringing a gpu up" when they get the first chips back from fab. No clue what it means though. :confused:

Presumably it has nothing to do with bottle feeding or changing nappies. :p

Soldato
What does that term mean exactly? I've heard that a few times about "bringing a gpu up" when they get the first chips back from fab. No clue what it means though. :confused:

Presumably it has nothing to do with bottle feeding or changing nappies. :p

It's a term to incorporate a team of Senior engineers, even some fellows, at AMD, that match the design of the GPU to the process node being used. So if there were any quirks of the process they are the people that can change the design with the aim of increasing yeald and or decreasing time to market(finding problems earlier is obviously better/cheaper). Here's a story that can explain it better than I can: https://www.anandtech.com/show/2937/9 when AMD/ATi released the Evergreen(5870) family of GPU's and it took NVidia 6 months to release the 480GTX - with NVidia calling the TSMC's 40nm process broken when they didn't spot the issues AMD(ATi) did. It's why AMD are mostly always first to a new node(talking GPU's) compared to NVidia.

Associate
When did you buy the gtx? On launch they were around £400-£500+ depending on the brand.
I remember the 8800gtx being around £300 - that was probably a year after launch though.
I loved that card - it will remain in my classic list.
It was the Ultra that cost about £100 more, but it was basically just an overclocked GTX.

Soldato
I bought 2x BFG 8800GTXs. One was air cooled the other had a factory waterblock on it. The air cooled card was £350 shortly after release and the waterblock edition was also £350 but this was some time after.

Soldato

I suspect a lot of the titan sales are business who don't want to pay Quadro tax :p

Back
Top Bottom