Are VR Headsets still pixelated?

Associate
Hopefully when Pimax decide to eventually ship my 8K, I can join the cool crowd, although I think my PC will tremble at the prospect.

But in the meantime I'm quite happy with my Vive - that thing is built like a tank, after surviving a nasty fall a few days ago.

Associate
I believe that as stated earlier in the post, supersampling is a good way forward if you have a decent graphics card. I work in the aviation simulation industry, we use supersampling to maintain high definition at 120Hz output to LCD projectors (but our Image Generation PCs are +10 years old). We have also built a VR demonstrator for School & College STEM events, running Prepar3D, again utilising supersampling for high definition (with a single Nvidia GTX1080 card). So I wouldn't be too down hearted on HTC Vive & Oculus technology. As a home user, the only thing lacking, is the big push by AAA developers to make their games more VR inclusive. Plenty of Indie titles, but I would love to see more support in big games like Ghost Recon: Wildlands or Rainbow Six: Siege.

Asa

Asa

Associate
While I agree its not unusable it’s not just a slight compromise it’s like being half blind. If you have poor eyesight then sure the Rift is ok. If you have average eyesight and can read 20/20 in an eye test then the Rift is like being 20/50 an entire 4 rows worse in the reading test. That is anything but slight. To put it another way in an eye test most can read the top 8 lines. With a Rift most can only read the top 4 lines. That’s a major compromise in image quality that one cannot just ignore as it means basic things are unreadable.

That is a pretty big compromise vs real life. Not being able to look to your left or right is a bigger compromise though imo.

I use an Odyssey+. The resolution still has a lot of room for improvement regarding mid to long distance detail, but I wouldn't describe it as particularly pixelated.

Soldato
I don't think distorts the picture any more than wearing a helmet in real life :p

But it's a completely different experience. On a monitor you just don't get the same sense of scale or see the game world for how it should look.

Associate
I can't do sim racing without my rift now absolutely love it.

Normally i play on 4k screen and am very picky about aa settings e.g. blurry or pixaleted.

But none of that matters after a while in vr, it's the difference between being in the car and seeing it on a screen. It's that simple.

Will upgrade to a better device when a good package comes out.

Associate
I had the Pimax 8K for a week and it's much better than the rift, FOV is amazing, but it's still not the same visually as a 4K monitor. That said, I put the Rift back on and can't wait for the replacement 8K to come back. It really is a step forward visually. It'll be 12months before they are up and running smoothly, but it's an amazing bit of kit.

Soldato
Yeah if you can't deal with SDE, then don't bother with VR for probably 5 years.

I personally can't understand how a few pixels can get in the way of the far superior and immersive gaming experience of VR gaming. Granted I'm not playing VR at present (KH3, DOS 2, take precedent for now) but the actual feeling of jumping down something or something comings towards you or falling or something behind you is just not there in pancake gaming.

RE7 is a PSVR title so far worse graphics than PCVR but is 100x the experience of ANY horror related medium I've experienced.

Soldato
Yeah if you can't deal with SDE, then don't bother with VR for probably 5 years.

I personally can't understand how a few pixels can get in the way of the far superior and immersive gaming experience of VR gaming. Granted I'm not playing VR at present (KH3, DOS 2, take precedent for now) but the actual feeling of jumping down something or something comings towards you or falling or something behind you is just not there in pancake gaming.

RE7 is a PSVR title so far worse graphics than PCVR but is 100x the experience of ANY horror related medium I've experienced.
The problem is VR isn't really that immersive in a way as the games tend to be very basic and simple with little depth to them although there are exceptions but so few. On the whole you do not tend to get the deep immersion and depth in VR games that you do get in none VR games. There is more to immersion then just looking around. Yes that part of immersion is better in VR but that doesn't automatically make it a better gaming experience. One of the key problems with VR is that very few types of games are better in VR. While some games are superior in VR its not flat out superior and the best none VR games I have played are far better then the best VR games.

Speaking of horror games one of the best I every played with deep immersion was Dead Space. It doesn't work in VR as its 3rd person and its far better as a horror games then even RE7 in VR

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is VR isn't really that immersive in a way as the games tend to be very basic and simple with little depth to them although there are exceptions but so few. On the whole you do not tend to get the deep immersion and depth in VR games that you do get in none VR games. There is more to immersion then just looking around. Yes that part of immersion is better in VR but that doesn't automatically make it a better gaming experience. One of the key problems with VR is that very few types of games are better in VR. While some games are superior in VR its not flat out superior and the best none VR games I have played are far better then the best VR games.

Speaking of horror games one of the best I every played with deep immersion was Dead Space. It doesn't work in VR as its 3rd person and its far better as a horror games then even RE7 in VR

I'd have to disagree. I was WAY more scared in RE7VR than dead space.

I'd rather personally shoot weapons with very well tracked controllers than move a mouse and press arrow keys. I'd take Superhot or Robo Recall over Doom; for example.

Quality of games, no doubt exists in pancake games because thats where the money is.

Soldato
I'd have to disagree. I was WAY more scared in RE7VR than dead space.

I'd rather personally shoot weapons with very well tracked controllers than move a mouse and press arrow keys. I'd take Superhot or Robo Recall over Doom; for example.

Quality of games, no doubt exists in pancake games because thats where the money is.
Not for me, RE7 is boring and lacking immersion. Its more then its just where the money is, no matter how much money you put into VR games they wont replace most none VR games. VR due to the way it works tends to have a very simple interfaces which leads to very simple dumb downed games which offer little depth or immersion. Pancake games does not mean inferior, putting something in VR doesn't automatically make it a superior game.

Soldato
Not for me, RE7 is boring and lacking immersion. Its more then its just where the money is, no matter how much money you put into VR games they wont replace most none VR games. VR due to the way it works tends to have a very simple interfaces which leads to very simple dumb downed games which offer little depth or immersion. Pancake games does not mean inferior, putting something in VR doesn't automatically make it a superior game.

If you find dead space more scary than Re7 VR, then fundamentally we have totally different tastes.

I really just don't get scared from pancake games at all.

VR games are definitely more dumbed down but the simple act of being able to DO what the game is asking you do, rather than just push a bunch of buttons offers a lot more depth and enagement and especially immersion for myself.

Don't get me wrong, my favorite games of all time include Fire Emblem, Trails in the Sky, Divinity Original Sin, all of which would be impossible to translate to VR.

You're stating the obvious tbh. Putting a tactical RPG for example in VR isn't going to make it better. Putting football manager into VR isn't going to make it better.. I agree...

Soldato
Why do you call them pancake games very few none VR games are pancake games and some of the best games I have ever played are pancake games like FTL or The Pit. For me the simple act of looking left and right doesn’t offer much, it’s nice but it’s hardly the massive immersion benefit some people are making it out to be. If it’s an engrossing game you don’t see anything past the monitor. With a few exceptions the benefits of VR are outweighed by the weaknesses of VR.

Don’t get me wrong there are times when I like VR like at Zero Latency areas or in Cockpit style games like Elite or sitting in giant mechs. But for me reaching out and pushing buttons is just gimmicky and doesn’t really offer anything to improve immersion, fun or gameplay past short experiences. I do like the sitting in haunted rooms and interacting but it’s what I call short experiences rather than full length games. Kind of like Space Pirate trainer its fun and different to none VR games but only in short experiences.

VR is nice for those short experiences but it doesn’t lend its self well to in depth games that you play for 10’s of hours.

“I'd rather personally shoot weapons with very well tracked controllers than move a mouse and press arrow keys. I'd take Superhot or Robo Recall over Doom; for example.”
For home I would go for the mouse and arrow keys. Doom none VR is the superior gameplay and immersion experience any day of the week then those VR games. The exception being in an arena with a gun prop and a VR helmet now that’s a different thing all together.

Soldato
VR is definitely another level of immersion. Just playing Skyrim on a monitor vs VR has a completely different feel, you can properly see the scale of things in VR.

Alien Isolation in VR is far more scary than pancake mode.

Soldato
VR is definitely another level of immersion. Just playing Skyrim on a monitor vs VR has a completely different feel, you can properly see the scale of things in VR.

Alien Isolation in VR is far more scary than pancake mode.

It's the level of immersion that makes it all worthwhile, despite the god-rays, the blurriness and the pixellation, and the sweaty goggles strapped to your face.

While playing FO4 VR I found myself ducking under a low beam while walking through a wrecked building. I automatically took a panic step backwards when a feral ghoul jumped at me. The IK of your arms and hands in Lone Echo/Echo VR makes you almost believe they're you're actual arms.

I've been playing Alien Isolation in VR and I can only play it for a few minutes at a time. It's just too intense. I hear the alien moving around and I say 'nope!' and take the headset off. :eek:

Soldato
Why do you call them pancake games very few none VR games are pancake games and some of the best games I have ever played are pancake games like FTL or The Pit. For me the simple act of looking left and right doesn’t offer much, it’s nice but it’s hardly the massive immersion benefit some people are making it out to be. If it’s an engrossing game you don’t see anything past the monitor. With a few exceptions the benefits of VR are outweighed by the weaknesses of VR.

Don’t get me wrong there are times when I like VR like at Zero Latency areas or in Cockpit style games like Elite or sitting in giant mechs. But for me reaching out and pushing buttons is just gimmicky and doesn’t really offer anything to improve immersion, fun or gameplay past short experiences. I do like the sitting in haunted rooms and interacting but it’s what I call short experiences rather than full length games. Kind of like Space Pirate trainer its fun and different to none VR games but only in short experiences.

VR is nice for those short experiences but it doesn’t lend its self well to in depth games that you play for 10’s of hours.

For home I would go for the mouse and arrow keys. Doom none VR is the superior gameplay and immersion experience any day of the week then those VR games. The exception being in an arena with a gun prop and a VR helmet now that’s a different thing all together.

I don’t mean pancake games as a bad thing.. my favorite games of all time are pancake.

Yes doom is better than doom vr.. become doom vr is just not that good.

If the quality of a aaa game was translated to vr, IMO it would be superior. Sadly developers arent behind the tech and the tech is also limited power wise

Soldato
I don’t mean pancake games as a bad thing.. my favorite games of all time are pancake.

Yes doom is better than doom vr.. become doom vr is just not that good.

If the quality of a aaa game was translated to vr, IMO it would be superior. Sadly developers arent behind the tech and the tech is also limited power wise
The thing is I am not convinced that even without money restraints the quality of most AAA games can be translated over to VR and even when they can be like Elite the current headsets are miles off giving a aaa game experience. Still at least VR is making slow progress. One of the reason I have not played Elite is I can see the potential of it in a future headset and the experience will be so much better by waiting.

Soldato
The thing is I am not convinced that even without money restraints the quality of most AAA games can be translated over to VR and even when they can be like Elite the current headsets are miles off giving a aaa game experience. Still at least VR is making slow progress. One of the reason I have not played Elite is I can see the potential of it in a future headset and the experience will be so much better by waiting.

I much prefer Skyrim vr be and re7 vr

Associate

Having only played Elite in VR I recently tried it on a single monitor, and it was a horrible experience. Same can be said for all cockpit type games. I think until they find an immersive solution to allowing the player to move in game VR’s appeal may be limited. For some the compromises are too great. I can only say for me, as a mainly ED and racing gamer it’s absolutely essential now, I literally can’t go back to a screen no matter how good it looks.

Back
Top Bottom