Are you allowed to have a radio or music in your work area?

Bri

Bri

Soldato
PaulStat said:
Nope, tried it once on a quiet Friday afternoon with my headphones in. Got a stroppy email from the PM telling me it wasn't appropriate in the work place.

Ah well :(

The Prime Minister emailed you? :eek: :p

We're not btw, apart from at Christmas :confused:

Soldato
Yes.
About a year ago now we had a radio setup where i work.
The music was streamed by satalite to a custom computer that then chucks the audio to an amp, then to the speakers on the shop floor.
The music is usually really old music that almost never gets updated, and is really bad pop music.
So we took the audio connector from the computer, and hooked up a portable CD player (with AC block), and we just bring in our own music.
When im in, i usually take the connection and stick my iPod on. :p

Associate
Sure can/do

Its actually got quite bad now - I set up a shared folder full of tunes for a couple of folks to share with myself cept now the whole office has a link to it and I am asked constantly if I have any new music or 'whats good on here'

Man of Honour
Nathan said:
Why? It was found radio was effecting quality in production so stopped it in the factory, if production are not allowed it, we are not either.

Weird. I work for a very large factory and when the new owners came in about 3 years ago one of the things they did immediately was to put piped music on the shop floor because they proved with all their factories around the world that music helps with production. The problem is its Signal Radio which is a local tin pot radio station that plays the same music on a two hour rotation.

The big boss is a real stickler and will pick on anything that shouldn't be there but he has turned a blind eye to all the stereo systems that workers have put up in the factory. There are some assembly lines that sound like a disco.

I have my own PC and I fill a DVD full of MP3's, run it through Media Player, out through the headphone socket and into an amp and speakers and blast it out as loud as I want.

Soldato
Hmm, I have about 100 TVs and 60 odd Stereos on most of the time, as well as cinema kits, oh and ipod systems.

Yeah, I get music alright :\ Not usually what I want though.

Although my boss has just allowed me to fill up an ipod with Barry White :D

Soldato
Production environment, new employees are asked if they have anything against listening to 107.5FM or 96.1FM. If they do, maybe they aren't cut out to work there as one or the other is blasting out of several radios spread out over the shop floor.

That's at Woodmaster. All the employees are pretty much a happy bunch to go to work, too. When I was at New Flyer there was absolutely NO music allowed of any type and everyone was miserable out on the shop floor.......

Associate
We can put it on in our 6th year art class, we have a big amp, cd deck and speakers with a 3.5mm to stereo cable and just plug in ipod, mobiles, minidiscs, whatever mp3 players people have. Have to turn the bass down though as it goes through the floor! If we are working outside in nice weather we usually plug in an ipod dock and blast out the tunes ghetto style. Usually have it on in the graphics room on the pcs when we are autocading too, really helps with the boredom of staring at a screen for hours.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't get a radio signal, but I do take my mp3 player in.

We're not supposed to use them really, but it's such a boring job that without the music I would go nuts.

I only have 1 ear in though, unless it's a really good song. :o

Consigliere
Work in Tesco, the woman in the bakery section is allowed to play some CDs before the shop opens. (Opens at 10 but most of the staff start work at 8). Shame i work quite far away from the bakery part.

Associate
We can in the office where I work, however it is on very low. We sometimes have to speak to customers, but only when they magically manage to get hold of our direct number. Mostly on Radio 1 :), sometimes it gets changed to Vibe FM or Broadland :(.

Employer = RBS

Soldato
I work at a bar, and when it's my shift, I can put on my own music, which is pretty much anything I want. Anything from Miles Davis, to The Mars Volta, to Four Tet. It's awesome :)

Soldato
Yep, I'm allowed music in the office, but then I am the boss :)

I work better with music playing but I can't usually listen when I'm working abroad (which is most of the time these days) and I do notice that my productivity drops.

Back
Top Bottom