Are you doing anything with Hue?

Man of Honour
It always has been, unless you’re talking about an item which is also for sale on here, in which case ‘the rain forest’ still isn’t allowed.

Soldato
Bit of a longshot, but anyone got a spare motion sensor mount hanging around they aren't using? It's the small rubber circle with the magnet inside.

I lost mine a while ago, and need to mount my motion sensor above the door in my landing.

Contacted Phillips but they don't carry spares apparently.

Soldato
My indoor motion sensor that I mounted outside is still going strong.
Notice they actually do an outside one now.

Starting to see some of the switches now available now that don't require neutral.

Soldato

Starting to see some of the switches now available now that don't require neutral.

If you need a good home for one of the rubber mounts let me know D:

I saw the outdoor ones as well, could be quite nice coupled with some of the other outdoor lights they do (they do a 5M long outdoor lightstrip too).

But for the time being I am focused on sorting out the inside of my house, outside will have to wait until better weather + available cashflow to deal with it.

Soldato
If you need a good home for one of the rubber mounts let me know D:

I saw the outdoor ones as well, could be quite nice coupled with some of the other outdoor lights they do (they do a 5M long outdoor lightstrip too).

But for the time being I am focused on sorting out the inside of my house, outside will have to wait until better weather + available cashflow to deal with it.

Outdoor strips are very tempting, but the wiring for them is an absolute ball-ache. Not as simple as a plug in the hallway and strip under the bannister.

I've bought another strip (originally as a spare for stairs) and have dirty thoughts about under kitchen cupboards, but, no plug sockets anywhere near the location of the strip, hence, similar issue to the outdoor strip issue!

Soldato
Outdoor strips are very tempting, but the wiring for them is an absolute ball-ache. Not as simple as a plug in the hallway and strip under the bannister.

I've bought another strip (originally as a spare for stairs) and have dirty thoughts about under kitchen cupboards, but, no plug sockets anywhere near the location of the strip, hence, similar issue to the outdoor strip issue!

I was going to use a Hue lightstrip under my kitchen cabinets, but in the end I decided against it.

The hue lightstrips can be cut roughly every 35CM or so, as one of my units on the right was 60CM, I'd either have a 35CM run, or a 70CM run.

Instead I've gone with the 5000K lightstrip that the fitters normally use, which can be cut every 10CM or so. Don't think I can dim/change colours, but I tend to stick to quite a white light in the kitchen anyway.

Originally I asked them to wire them into a normal socket so I can add a smart plug, maybe do something with Alexa. It turns out that Hue have released a compatible smart plug now, so I think I can attach to that and get my motion sensor to turn them on at the same time as the ceiling lights.

https://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/p/hue-smart-plug/8718699689308

Think it treats it like a light, so on/off only probably, but should do what I want.

Associate

Mounted an indoor one outside also last year, been going for at least a year now. It is as hidden from the weather as much as possible but still slightly exposed.

Associate
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has faced a similar issue. I'm a huge fan of the hue ecosystem, I currently only have 6 bulbs and a dimmer but I'm looking to extend this further throughout my home however I've come across a problem which is perplexing me.

It seems that there are no multi-pack options for the colour bulbs, specifically the white and colour ambience GU10 set. The only option is to either buy them separately, which is prohibitively expensive, or purchase a starter kit which will provide three bulbs but includes an unnecessary second hub. (I already have two aaahhh!).

Does anyone know why Philips has done this? It seems great value for the initial setup when getting a starter kit and sometimes an accessory included but for those of us wanting to expand it's problematic. I have seen GU10 white only multi-packs up to 12 bulbs, however I prefer the colour ones.

At least to me it seems a bit short sighted and wasteful of Philips to do this, I've searched online but not found many comments about it.

Associate
Yeah I had suspected it was purely a money driven motive. I am surprised more people haven't called them out on it to be honest, especially at £50 a bulb and the potential environmental impact of the number of wasted bridges in circulation. I do intend to check the Black Friday deals, that's when I purchased my last set. Thanks!

Associate
Yeah I had suspected it was purely a money driven motive. I am surprised more people haven't called them out on it to be honest, especially at £50 a bulb and the potential environmental impact of the number of wasted bridges in circulation. I do intend to check the Black Friday deals, that's when I purchased my last set. Thanks!
Amazon sell a twin pack of GU10's white an colour Ambience for £82.77 at the moment. Still v expensive but a multipack (of sorts) and a saving.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has faced a similar issue. I'm a huge fan of the hue ecosystem, I currently only have 6 bulbs and a dimmer but I'm looking to extend this further throughout my home however I've come across a problem which is perplexing me.

It seems that there are no multi-pack options for the colour bulbs, specifically the white and colour ambience GU10 set. The only option is to either buy them separately, which is prohibitively expensive, or purchase a starter kit which will provide three bulbs but includes an unnecessary second hub. (I already have two aaahhh!).

Does anyone know why Philips has done this? It seems great value for the initial setup when getting a starter kit and sometimes an accessory included but for those of us wanting to expand it's problematic. I have seen GU10 white only multi-packs up to 12 bulbs, however I prefer the colour ones.

At least to me it seems a bit short sighted and wasteful of Philips to do this, I've searched online but not found many comments about it.

You didn't look very hard!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Spotlight-Bluetooth-Assistant/dp/B07SHVQCTJ/

These are the newer versions, richer colours and slightly shorter. I've got my eye on the m as I need three for my hallway. If they are priced well on BF I might even replace the 4 older ones I have in the kitchen...

Associate
Soldato
Is it possible with these 'smart' bulbs to set a certain brightness level depending on the time of day?

for example, let's say between the hours of 11pm-4am all the bulbs on the landing are at 50% brightness. I'm thinking of adding a few motion sensors, so basically when I walk around the house at night the bulbs will come on at half power

also, regarding the motion sensors, when they detect movement and turn the bulbs on, can the bulbs only stay on for a set amount of time?

Soldato
Is it possible with these 'smart' bulbs to set a certain brightness level depending on the time of day?

for example, let's say between the hours of 11pm-4am all the bulbs on the landing are at 50% brightness. I'm thinking of adding a few motion sensors, so basically when I walk around the house at night the bulbs will come on at half power

also, regarding the motion sensors, when they detect movement and turn the bulbs on, can the bulbs only stay on for a set amount of time?

You can certainly do all that with smartthings, it's exactly what I use mine for. My motion sensors trigger different lights at different brightnesses depending on the time.

Soldato

Yes and yes. The Hue app lets you set day and night brightnesses. If you have an iOS device you can use iConnectHue to configure it even more granularly.

Back
Top Bottom