Are you the smartest person you know?

Caporegime
My neighbour is a financial director for a well known organisation, his wife checks the oil in his car, cuts the hedges, wipes his butt basically. He lacks any skills outside of his profession in short.

That's not necessarily a sign that he lacks intelligence in other areas, he may just be good at delegating tasks he doesn't want to do or very manipulative. I find the argument strange that people who earn well and can't do DIY and what not lack common sense, maybe they just don't want to spend 8 weekends in a row renovating their bathroom and doing a poor job of it when they could pay or use someone to do it properly?

Soldato
That's not necessarily a sign that he lacks intelligence in other areas, he may just be good at delegating tasks he doesn't want to do or very manipulative. I find the argument strange that people who earn well and can't do DIY and what not lack common sense, maybe they just don't want to spend 8 weekends in a row renovating their bathroom and doing a poor job of it when they could pay or use someone to do it properly?

That's smart. Understanding your weaknesses is a good trait to have.

Associate
Sadly knowing him for as long as i have he certainly lacks common sense, i'll leave it at that.

Soldato
The older I get, the more acutely aware I become about exactly how much I don't know. It's extremely frustrating. I also get frustrated when I hit that barrier where you know that your brain just can't comprehend something without a load more effort, if at all.

I do work with some very clever people so hopefully some of it has rubbed off over the years :)

Caporegime
Sadly knowing him for as long as i have he certainly lacks common sense, i'll leave it at that.

So why mention him in this thread? Seems like you're highlighting that he's not all that smart but in spite of that seemingly has managed to hold onto some high status position?

Associate
So why mention him in this thread? Seems like you're highlighting that he's not all that smart but in spite of that seemingly has managed to hold onto some high status position?
Well he's intelligent enough to hold onto said position.

But you're correct i shouldn't have mentioned him, i'll go sit in the corner while you patrol the forums.

Caporegime
That's smart. Understanding your weaknesses is a good trait to have.
There's also the fact that, unless you're going to make good use of the skills you learn, there's not much point in learning them.

Sure it would be nice to learn how to do various DIY tasks - building, carpentry, you name it. But I'm not sure why you'd go to the effort to learn such things (in so far as you can truly learn/master them in your spare time), only to use them once or twice and never again.

I'd be more than happy to get people in when needed. I'd rather do things with my time that bring me joy or fulfilment, than learn how to do DIY.

Caporegime
Well he's intelligent enough to hold onto said position.

But you're correct i shouldn't have mentioned him, i'll go sit in the corner while you patrol the forums.

I never said you shouldn’t have mentioned him, I just think it’s odd that you’ve highlighted him as a smart person simply based on having a job with some status while simultaneously highlighting that he’s a bit stupid.

Back
Top Bottom