ARGH!!! Phone died, no contact

Soldato
I call my Cybook a Cybook, and that's about it. I can't think of anything else that I call by the brand name. And the Cybook gets that for the same reasons we call a Hoover a hoover, because "electronic book" is too much of a mouthfull. iPod I think falls into the same place - would people know what you meant if you said "DAP"? By iPhone users are religious fanatics! It's a phone, that's all!

Soldato
I also noticed that he had to mention that he uses an iphone! :p

Because that's what the OP was about! :confused:

How useful would it have been to post "iPhone syncs with Address Book on mac" if the OP had been about his Blackberry he syncs with his ubuntu distro? None at all.

Is posting a helpful and factually correct post against the FAQ or something? :confused: :rolleyes:

Soldato
I call my Cybook a Cybook, and that's about it. I can't think of anything else that I call by the brand name. And the Cybook gets that for the same reasons we call a Hoover a hoover, because "electronic book" is too much of a mouthfull. iPod I think falls into the same place - would people know what you meant if you said "DAP"? By iPhone users are religious fanatics! It's a phone, that's all!

I see your point, but lets take podcasts for example, they were about before iTunes, but now because iTunes and the iPod have been so good at cornering the market, they are now known as 'podcasts'.

Soldato
Touche, you have then noticed that people that use Apple products say that what product that they are using. "I've just got to shut down my macbook" "I'll call you back on my iPhone"

I have to say, I hate Apple apart from the iPhone which I think filled a very empty gap in the market. But I do the same with the iPhone, and I hate that I do it.
Macs and PC's work in different ways, it could have been that iphone contacts don't get backed up automaticaly on the PC while they do on the mac, so I think he was actually trying to be helpful as opposed to just being smug and saying "HAHA, Im using a Mac!!1"
Because that's what the OP was about!
Thanks, that was exactly my point I was making, I was doing it in a sarcastic way. ;) :p

Soldato
Macs and PC's work in different ways, it could have been that iphone contacts don't get backed up automaticaly on the PC while they do on the mac, so I think he was actually trying to be helpful as opposed to just being smug and saying "HAHA, Im using a Mac!!1"

Thanks, that was exactly my point I was making, I was doing it in a sarcastic way. ;) :p

No, no, itunes is itunes, doesn't matter if you are using w7 or Mac osx

Soldato
I see your point, but lets take podcasts for example, they were about before iTunes, but now because iTunes and the iPod have been so good at cornering the market, they are now known as 'podcasts'.

To my knowledge I've never partaken of a podcast. But I understand they're recorded bits of audio that you can download and play at your leisure?

What were they called before podcasts?

Associate
I feel for you chap. My mobile got nicked last night with no insurance. Luckily they offered emergency insurance which effectively will replace a £300 phone for 60 quid. Not a total disaster but very frustrating. Especially as now the handset is blocked it's totally useless to whoever nicked it.

Soldato
Really, as in itunes is exactly the same weather you run it on a mac or PC?

I'm don't really use itunes as I have a Nokia, and yes I have to mention I have a Nokia, as it doesn't need itunes installed! ;) :p

Yes iTunes is iTunes, no matter if it is Mac OSX or Windows 7, however, it runs (probably) a lot faster on a MAC OSX system, as that is Apples native Os.

1. I use Sharepod.

2. I hate the fact if you install the stock download from Apple they make you download Quicktime, even if you have Quicktime Alternative.

3. If Microsft tried that, they would be sued out of their behind, in fact they did, for including Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer.

Soldato
000000iphonevsrockjpeg.jpg

Soldato
That stone pic is rather amusing, tho it's rather basic as a communication tool... I guess it could be lobbed thru a window if you've lost thier phone number? :D
Yes iTunes is iTunes, no matter if it is Mac OSX or Windows 7, however, it runs (probably) a lot faster on a MAC OSX system, as that is Apples native Os.

1. I use Sharepod.
Thinking about it, quicktime is pretty similar on both platforms, so I guess itunes would be also...

Does sharepod allow you do download free podcasts without installing itunes then? I'll have to try that... I don't really want to install itunes under Windows, especially as it installs extra services which slow your machine down.

If I really do have to install something like itunes on windows, i do it under a VM, so it won't slow down my machine at all, only my VM. :cool:

Could this thread get any more off topic? :D

Associate
I don't really want to install itunes under Windows, especially as it installs extra services which slow your machine down.

If I really do have to install something like itunes on windows, i do it under a VM, so it won't slow down my machine at all, only my VM. :cool:

Do you have a source on this?

My win7 install doesn't even notice if itunes is running or not and the only extra services which were installed were quicktime and the iphone manager (under itunes 9).

iTunes under windows will happily sync your contacts to the program of your choice (so lone as it's Outlook :p) so wouldn't be a problem for the OP to find his mate's number.

Unless of course he's disabled that due to being 12 and him being scared about his parents knowing who he has as 'contacts' :p

Soldato
It does install services that run in the background, my source is my task manager ;). But it doesn't really slow down my machine at all.

Soldato
I feel for you chap. My mobile got nicked last night with no insurance. Luckily they offered emergency insurance which effectively will replace a £300 phone for 60 quid. Not a total disaster but very frustrating. Especially as now the handset is blocked it's totally useless to whoever nicked it.

What kind of insanity is emergency phone insurance? Either they're scamming the people underwriting the insurance policy. Or they're just selling you a phone for £60 and tying you into the contract.

Back
Top Bottom