Article 13 (The Meme Ban)

Soldato
DizzyPessimisticHoki-size_restricted.gif

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Soldato
Who provides the database of copyright materials that websites must now check their content against?

Is this proposed youtube ban of such materials so youtube simply don't have to go to the hassle of checking things themselves?

Caporegime
Silicone Valley tech companies should just pull their services out of the EU but they won't because they're two heads of the same monster they'll instead enforce EU law on the rest of the world. It's kind of frightening that private corporations are effectively being told to police the internet all the while we've had frantic coverage of Russian election meddling. Political memes can go viral and are so simple that even people who don't read lengthy articles can become better informed but I imagine they'll all be removed on Copyright grounds in the future, so right there you will have private corporations directly influencing elections through censoring political messages.

Unlike Democracies the EU commission doesn't have to worry about being elected to power and needing a mandate from the people for its policies.

Last edited:
Soldato
What determines who's countries copyright law takes priority? For EU copyright law to apply does the server have to reside inside the EU or is it simply because EU users are able to access the service?

Could Facebook, Twitter, Youtube etc just move their servers / offices and state that their service falls under US law for example?

Seems very complicated but copyright law in general is a mess and no country has got it right (China just doesn't give a ****) but the whole thing needs looking at as the current way just stifles creativity. No one creates something from nothing, everyone is inspired by someone before them even if they don't know it and those early works can lead to something more (as an example Vincent van Gogh used to paint versions of prints he bought, today that would be copyright theft).

Even trying to follow the rules is difficult, for example I purchase artwork for commercial use but the services I buy from are based all over the world. Generally they apply US law to their licences but I don't really know what would happen if a claim was put against me from within the EU, the default position seems to be that if you get a few claims against you then third party marketplaces just close your account and you have to start again. This has led to competitors trying to put other sellers out of business by placing false copyright claims, something I know happens on Youtube as well as the claims aren't really investigated. The whole industry is trying to catchup with technology but they make it so complicated that unless you are a big player with money for legal support you don't stand a chance.

I guess one positive from Article 11 is that we won't have daily mail links posted on here anymore :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait a minute, I thought the EU was this utopia where only good things happen and everyone that disagrees with it is a thick racist.

You lot aren't thick racists...are you?
really2riu2g.gif

Last edited:
Caporegime
Because banning the sale of drugs online, and the spreading of illegal materials has worked so well, hasn't it?

The deep web is about to get even more popular.

Soldato
I don't know if this is connected. But I used to copy/paste articles on to a forum and word got to me that the original sites owner knew I'd copy/pasted the stories and asked me to cut down on the amount of text I used. I wasn't excessively copy/pasting, just enough to get the jist of the article.

I was surprised that an automatic programme detected it.

Back
Top Bottom