Assange to go!

Associate
He did. He conspired with Chelsea Manning to crack a password to use an account to download classified documents. This wasn't like Snowdon handing over files he'd already taken to the press, Assange was in contact with her to use this other account. That is illegal and any member of the press that did that would face jail. You can print this stuff but you can't in any way have been in on how they were obtained or attempted to obtain even if the attempt was unsuccessful, that is still a criminal offence.
So your argument is that he should be presumed guilty until proven innocent?

Soldato
So your argument is that he should be presumed guilty until proven innocent?

No my argument is he should have had his day in court and the US should have made their case before a jury, sovidence and witnesses and all that stuff. But he didn’t, he hid in the UK

Imo I think he did it. He got arrogant and thought he was above to law and so broke it and worked with Chelsea Manning to break the password. Play stupid games…..

Associate
Yes in his plea of guilty.
A coerced guilty plea isn't an admission, it's a false confession. Is there any admission other than a coerced plea deal?

From what I understand, Manning only sent part of a password hash and didn't say where it was from, so if Assange had attempted to crack the password then it would've been a failed attempt and he wouldn't have known what the password was for. Manning already had legitimate access to all of the databases from which she downloaded data, logging into another user account using a cracked password wouldn't have provided her with more access than she already possessed. Furthermore, the US government had no clear evidence that Assange was the person behind the 'Nathaniel Frank' username who Manning was communicating with.

It's possible the US government just wanted to make an example out of him for daring to expose US war crimes, and that the computer hacking allegations had no real merit. I have no idea if he was innocent or guilty, but obviously a lot of people are biased because they don't agree with what he did.

Soldato
A coerced guilty plea isn't an admission, it's a false confession. Is there any admission other than a coerced plea deal?

From what I understand, Manning only sent part of a password hash and didn't say where it was from, so if Assange had attempted to crack the password then it would've been a failed attempt and he wouldn't have known what the password was for. Manning already had legitimate access to all of the databases from which she downloaded data, logging into another user account using a cracked password wouldn't have provided her with more access than she already possessed. Furthermore, the US government had no clear evidence that Assange was the person behind the 'Nathaniel Frank' username who Manning was communicating with.

It's possible the US government just wanted to make an example out of him for daring to expose US war crimes, and that the computer hacking allegations had no real merit. I have no idea if he was innocent or guilty, but obviously a lot of people are biased because they don't agree with what he did.

You realise that using a password that doesn’t belong to you is illegal right? If someone who worked in UK intelligence asked you to help crack a password do you think that would be legal or illegal? Just the effort regardless of whether or not it was successful makes you guilty of conspiracy.

Associate
You realise that using a password that doesn’t belong to you is illegal right? If someone who worked in UK intelligence asked you to help crack a password do you think that would be legal or illegal? Just the effort regardless of whether or not it was successful makes you guilty of conspiracy.
As I understand it Manning didn't say what the password was for, so Assange (if he was Nathaniel Frank) might've assumed it was Manning's own password that she had forgotten.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I understand it Manning didn't say what the password was for, so Assange (if he was Nathaniel Frank) might've assumed it was Manning's own password that she had forgotten.

So a person working in US intelligence who says they can get top secret docs for you asks for help with password and you think.... well it could be something completely innocent :rolleyes: The old line about having a bridge to sell you comes to mind if you are that naive.

He broke the law and managed to avoid answering for it in court for years and has now entered a guilty plea of his own free will to avoid jail.

In your head he is innocent and been a victim of coercion and nothing is going to change that opinion so this is kind of pointless.

In my head he's a POS that worked with Russia to get Trump elected in 2016 and any pretence that he was politically neutral ended right there. Now Australia is stuck with him as many countries won't let in a convicted felon, including us thankfully.

Last edited:
Associate
So a person working in US intelligence who says they can get top secret docs for you asks for help with password and you think.... well it could be something completely innocent :rolleyes: The old line about having a bridge to sell you comes to mind if you are that naive.
Even if you assume he knew Manning didn't have permission to try and crack the password, you've ignored the fact that the US didn't show any clear evidence proving that Nathaniel Frank was Julian Assange.

In your head he is innocent and been a victim of coercion and nothing is going to change that opinion so this is kind of pointless.

In my head he's a POS that worked with Russia to get Trump elected in 2016 and any pretence that he was politically neutral ended right there. Now Australia is stuck with him as many countries won't let in a convicted felon, including us thankfully.
The guilty plea was certainly coerced, but whether he is innocent or not I don't know. If you look at the evidence objectively then it does look somewhat flimsy on the face of it. The hacking allegations come down to a few offhand remarks by an unknown person in a short discussion about password cracking, which was proven did not occur because Manning didn't send all the information required to crack it.

Associate
Say what you want about Assange, and Snowden for that matter, they blew the lid on at least some of the corrupt and unlawful actions of those that govern us.

Back
Top Bottom