Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Man of Honour
Loving the look of it, love ancient history and adored the gameworld of AC Origins. Really looking forward to this.

Cant believe that there is so much negativity about Odyssey around on the internet, loads of people saying its not Assassins Creed anymore etc... thing is, the Assassins Creed franchise was very much on its deathbed, people seem to forget how sick to death of it they were, how they said that it was a series which just needed to stop etc. AC Origins breathed new life into the franchise and was imo, by far and away the best game of the series. Its absolutely a 100% definite purchase for me.

Soldato
They are correct to an extent though, the Assassin element is barely a thing. 40hrs into Origins and 38% through it I can plain see where they're coming from. The game has gone from stealth assassin elements to an open combat game with minimal stealth.

So far I've seen little plot elements regarding the 'Creed' and it's history, which every game covers in detail. Origins as beautiful as it is just makes me feel like Geralt in a different world.

Man of Honour
You start to get more about the origins of the Creed later on in Origins, thing is the people who say that Origins and Odyssey arent any good because they arent Assassins Creed games cant have it both ways, they moaned before that the AC games had become stale and boring but then moan again when they change the AC games (even though that change arguably brings about one of, if not the, best game in the series in Origins). No doubt if they brought out an AC game which was akin to the past AC titles people would start complaining again that its boring and dull and be done before. No win situation sometimes.

Soldato
Ok cool. Yeah I admit AC had lost its way imo. For me it was the present day element and Abstergo that made the game more meaningful, and since Black Flag afaik it hasn't been fleshed out since the Desmond storyline ended. I do hope Origins touches in on the Assassins brotherhood soon.

Man of Honour
Ok cool. Yeah I admit AC had lost its way imo. For me it was the present day element and Abstergo that made the game more meaningful, and since Black Flag afaik it hasn't been fleshed out since the Desmond storyline ended. I do hope Origins touches in on the Assassins brotherhood soon.

I imagine as Odyssey is set several hundred years before Origins, that it will have even less to do with the brotherhood. After Odyssey they cant really go any further back in history, so I'm wondering if they will move back forwards again after that.

I have to admit though, I'd love a 2 player co-op AC game. Might make it a bit easy though.

Soldato
I'm still annoyed about being presented with the Hidden Blade in Origins and being told it is from ancient times..."We're in ancient times woman! wtf did it come from?! I thought this game was the origins of the Creed" was my reaction lol. I look forwards to Odyssey especially since it is so close, might have to get it on my PS4 Pro though as Origins is heavily multicore cpu dependant (i7 2600k here).

Man of Honour
I'm still annoyed about being presented with the Hidden Blade in Origins and being told it is from ancient times..."We're in ancient times woman! wtf did it come from?! I thought this game was the origins of the Creed" was my reaction lol. I look forwards to Odyssey especially since it is so close, might have to get it on my PS4 Pro though as Origins is heavily multicore cpu dependant (i7 2600k here).

Mind you, you have to remember that things were already ancient to them, as the game reminds us, more time has passed since the building of the pyramids to the time of cleopatra, than there has been since Cleopatra and today. It truly boggles the mind that when you actually think about it. Hard to comprehend just how ancient Egypts history goes.

Soldato
Mind you, you have to remember that things were already ancient to them, as the game reminds us, more time has passed since the building of the pyramids to the time of cleopatra, than there has been since Cleopatra and today. It truly boggles the mind that when you actually think about it. Hard to comprehend just how ancient Egypts history goes.

Precisely, many of the monuments we see in Origins were already ancient history for those living at the time. The reign of Cleopatra is actually "modern" Egypt, hence the abundance of foreign architectural and cultural influences.

As for Odyssey, who cares about AC roots?:p Is there anyone left who still takes these stories seriously? I can totally see the game being completely derivative and just a reskin of Origins but I don't care. If it looks as good and let's me roam around Ancient Greece as detailed as Egypt was, then that alone makes it worthwhle for me. Maybe not day one but I'll get it for sure at some point.

Soldato
Looked good till I read 'and even fleshing out the modern-day stuff that’s been lacking in recent games in the series.' this is the part of these games i always hated as it totally ruins the immersion for me but nevertheless i will look forward to getting the game when it comes out

Soldato
Glad they've dropped the modern day stuff as well...it's the feeling of dropping into a detailed historical world that makes AC, especially Origins.

Looking forward to spending a good chunk of time in Greece....time to finish up the Origins DLC.

Soldato
I tend to play the AC games a few years behind one another (almost completed Syndicate) but I may well skip Origins for the time being and jump to odyssey. Looks fantastic.

Soldato
I was getting sick and tired of the old AC but Origins is brilliant, if it’s like that I’ll buy.

Apart from the modern-day stuff, that feels like such tacked-on rubbish, and it’s so annoying, but apart from that, great game.

Soldato
Instant buy for me, Ass Creed Origins is one of my all time favourite games (still is)

This looks similar, but that's good enough for me !

Soldato
I was getting sick and tired of the old AC but Origins is brilliant, if it’s like that I’ll buy.

Apart from the modern-day stuff, that feels like such tacked-on rubbish, and it’s so annoying, but apart from that, great game.

It's a shame that the modern day elements have devolved into such a contrived mess, that they are now nothing more than an after thought. Because in some of the previous games, it gave more depth of reason to your actions within the animus. Now, several titles on, we are bereft of almost every plot point / twist that was established in "the real world" setting and instead left bewildered at the fact that they insist upon paying lip service to it in the most half assed way possible. They should cut it out completely imo.

Associate
I imagine as Odyssey is set several hundred years before Origins, that it will have even less to do with the brotherhood. After Odyssey they cant really go any further back in history, so I'm wondering if they will move back forwards again after that.

Before Origins was revealed at E3 last year, there were rumours that the Egypt game would be the first in a connected trilogy that would cover Egypt, Rome and Greece https://www.mcvuk.com/business/leak-suggests-assassins-creed-origins-is-set-in-egypt . Assuming that is true then the 3 games could show the various influences that made the Assassins order what it is, with the Rome one tying it all together.
Then after that hopefully they will give the series another gap year before the next instalment.

That said, in many of the interviews with the Odyssey team they mention working with the Origins team to work out how to take the series forward - either they are playing their cards close of their chest, or there is not another team working on AC to produce the Rome game, whether that means there is not a 3rd game or that we'll get the 'gap year' before it arrives.

Man of Honour
Before Origins was revealed at E3 last year, there were rumours that the Egypt game would be the first in a connected trilogy that would cover Egypt, Rome and Greece https://www.mcvuk.com/business/leak-suggests-assassins-creed-origins-is-set-in-egypt . Assuming that is true then the 3 games could show the various influences that made the Assassins order what it is, with the Rome one tying it all together.
Then after that hopefully they will give the series another gap year before the next instalment.

That said, in many of the interviews with the Odyssey team they mention working with the Origins team to work out how to take the series forward - either they are playing their cards close of their chest, or there is not another team working on AC to produce the Rome game, whether that means there is not a 3rd game or that we'll get the 'gap year' before it arrives.

Rome would make sense, if we think of the great countries of the time, Egypt, Greece and Rome do immediately spring to mind.

Soldato
Looked good till I read 'and even fleshing out the modern-day stuff that’s been lacking in recent games in the series.' this is the part of these games i always hated as it totally ruins the immersion for me but nevertheless i will look forward to getting the game when it comes out
Did you stop reading after that ?? Further down, well, last paragraph actually, it says this:

And what of the modern day story featuring Layla Hassan? It’s unusual enough to hear Ubisoft developers talking about the modern day part of their next Assassin’s Creed prior to release, but could we get more info? MacCoubrey confirmed that it’s largely optional for the people who aren’t into it. And for the people who are? Dumont: “I think we have enough twists and turns in there to satisfy our more hardcore fans that like the modern day story and where it leads you. I’m kind of excited for what we have.” And is it as substantial as what was in Origins? “Oh,” he said. “It’s bigger.

I highlighted the part to make it easier to see, but you can basically skip those part by the sound of it. I know you said you still be buying it, but thought I point out the above incase you did miss it ! :p

Back
Top Bottom