Assassin’s Creed Origins

Associate
Someone gifted me this on steam, I finally started playing it so bought the DLC while it was on sale on Uplay. Forgot it was on steam tbh I just launched it through uplay.

Even though you still have to have uplay and it gets added to your uplay acct the DLC is incompatible they both have to be on the same platform.

It took me ages to get a refund and I didn't play it in that time, so they couldn't say you have x amount of hours game time so no refund.

Now I am getting into it, I have to say it's awesome, I was getting a bit tired of the franchise and thought I had burned my self out after playing so many in such a quick succession, but I am loving this.

Associate
picked this up yesterday, somewhat encouraged by this thread ... and looks like I've drawn the shortstraw in as much as I'm getting pretty bad hitching / stuttering in 'built-up' areas (i.e. Siwa thus far).

Just refreshed my system with a 3700x and 5700 xt etc ... not had any driver problems, and the set-up has finally seen me able to play such as the Witcher 3 as smooth as you like.
On a 144hz freesync monitor.
Have tried all the permutations in terms of FS on / off, frame-limiting / HZ changes.
capping at 45 or so fps gets rid of almost all the hitching / stutters, but at the cost of the 'look' ... and with constant micro-stutter (or lack of visual smoothness).

*should elaborate - I'm generally playing on max settings, but the interesting thing is that going down as far as the 'medium' preset, the essential problem is still there.
Less pronounced perhaps, but still more than enough hitching / stutter to spoil the experience.
If the fps overall gets over 80 then it's usually pretty smooth (and I get this in some areas of sitwa), but below this and the problems start - I get dips / areas in town down to <50ps but stutter etc is very noticeable the minute I hit the 60s really (so setting the limiter to 60 and engaging v-sync for example, doesn't help).

Googling, it seems I'm certainly not alone with such problems - and have tried all the fixes going (short of turning off hyperthreading in bios).

so interested to hear if anyone here is getting smooth gameplay consistently, and their h/ware etc situation if so?

Bummer, as when it plays smoothly (i.e. out in the 'countryside') it's a joy to play, and I think I could get into it ...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
picked this up yesterday, somewhat encouraged by this thread ... and looks like I've drawn the shortstraw in as much as I'm getting pretty bad hitching / stuttering in 'built-up' areas (i.e. Siwa thus far).

Just refreshed my system with a 3700x and 5700 xt etc ... not had any driver problems, and the set-up has finally seen me able to play such as the Witcher 3 as smooth as you like.
On a 144hz freesync monitor.
Have tried all the permutations in terms of FS on / off, frame-limiting / HZ changes.
capping at 45 or so fps gets rid of almost all the hitching / stutters, but at the cost of the 'look' ... and with constant micro-stutter (or lack of visual smoothness).

Googling, it seems I'm certainly not alone with such problems - and have tried all the fixes going (short of turning off hyperthreading in bios).

so interested to hear if anyone here is getting smooth gameplay consistently, and their h/ware etc situation if so?

Bummer, as when it plays smoothly (i.e. out in the 'countryside') it's a joy to play, and I think I could get into it ...

Silky smooth on my system (same with Odyssey). I'm running Ryzen 3700, 32Gb, Nvidia 1070Gtx, SSD, 144hz 1440. Everything on highest settings, except for mandatory getting rid of motion blur and DoF, AA on Medium.

Associate
Silky smooth on my system (same with Odyssey). I'm running Ryzen 3700, 32Gb, Nvidia 1070Gtx, SSD, 144hz 1440. Everything on highest settings, except for mandatory getting rid of motion blur and DoF, AA on Medium.

well, there you go ...
I'm running off a nvme thingy drive, so that shouldn't really be the problem.
On the face of it my 5700 xt shouldn't be faring any worse than your nvidia card either.
you've twice the amount of ram .. but 16 gb should be ok, and again, not a bottleneck? I've tried running Intelligent Standby List cleaner too (a recommended tweak) which hasn't made any difference ...

genuinely pleased for you but a bit gutted ... thought this new set-up of mine would see these kind of problems with mainstream games being a thing of the past. Drat.
On top of it all, I've splurged on Odyssey too - which is d/loading at the moment :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
well, there you go ...
On the face of it my 5700 xt shouldn't be faring any worse than your nvidia card either.
you've twice the amount of ram .. but 16 gb should be ok, and again, not a bottleneck? I've tried running Intelligent Standby List cleaner too (a recommended tweak) which hasn't made any difference ...

genuinely pleased for you but a bit gutted ... thought this new set-up of mine would see these kind of problems with mainstream games being a thing of the past. Drat.
On top of it all, I've splurged on Odyssey too - which is d/loading at the moment :rolleyes:

Yeah should be ok on 16gb I'd have thought, tbh my 32Gb is overkill for most things, I only went to 32gb because the ram was on sale at the time and was RGB light synced ram, so I wanted it to go with the lights in my case and cooler. If it hadnt have been on sale I'd be on 16gb.

Soldato
well, there you go ...

turn of volumatic cloud down to low get 40% fps bump

Soldato
well, there you go ...

Sadly the games are borked, Odyssey more so than Origins. They kept to DX11 on PC and did it badly as well. It's just a mess.

Things to look into:
- DXVK
- SpecialK (Kaldaien)
- DRM-free Origins

Associate
now see, what you say Poneros - that's what I'm reading in a fair few threads populated by folk suffering the same problems - then you've got McPhee and Tombstone and no doubt many others who have no problems whatsoever ....

Looked in to Special K - no longer works with Origins (you lose keyboard and mouse input) - author's got the hump with ubi and wont revise.
DRM-free - I take you mean a cracked copy - wouldn't know where to start with getting a 'safe' one of those these days.
DXVK I looked at - but seems to be Linux / mac relevant?

Smogsy - think Vol. clouds is either off or on? and doubt it'll make a difference (although haven't tried - not least because I play games for the visuals primarily and no clouds will be a major bummer).

Soldato
now see, what you say Poneros - that's what I'm reading in a fair few threads populated by folk suffering the same problems - then you've got McPhee and Tombstone and no doubt many others who have no problems whatsoever ....

Looked in to Special K - no longer works with Origins (you lose keyboard and mouse input) - author's got the hump with ubi and wont revise.
DRM-free - I take you mean a cracked copy - wouldn't know where to start with getting a 'safe' one of those these days.
DXVK I looked at - but seems to be Linux / mac relevant?

Smogsy - think Vol. clouds is either off or on? and doubt it'll make a difference (although haven't tried - not least because I play games for the visuals primarily and no clouds will be a major bummer).

So, I just reinstalled Origins with no DRM now and HOLY hell! I was already finished with Origins by the time it came out and the difference between it and the Uplay one I have is like between heaven and earth. Both games have this really annoying slow loading & network checking they do constantly but now it's just lightspeed quick, everything loads within 5 seconds and has these smoothest transitions ever. Granted, I had to start over so I was only in the first village and even then the game can't do 60 fps consistently in those areas but I'm looking at the frametime graph and it's absolutely FLAT! Which is great. I paid for the original copy so whatever.

But like I said, Origins always ran miles better than Odyssey. I wanted to replay Odyssey yesterday and going into it I just couldn't do it anymore, the frametime issues were too annoying, getting 60 fps was basically impossible regardless of settings or resolution and (for both games) you gotta make sure to cap the FPS with a different app and not in-game as the in-game cap actually goes 1 over the actual frame rate limit (eg you select 60 fps limit, it goes to 61 etc). And ofc the loading is freaking horrendous and incessant.

For SpecialK I was thinking just for Odyssey. It's of dubious usefulness now after all the patches but it's something worth trying. It worked well for me once & then didn't and didn't really need it for 30 fps in the end.

DXVK it's just a dll change that you can do and it works with Windows too (it's literally just copy-pasting some files into the game folder). For some people it works great, for some it doesn't, but again - worth trying. The trick to it though is that at first it's gonna be slow because it has to rebuild shaders but after it does that it should be good to go.

It's just sad how self-sabotaging Ubisoft is tbh. These are 2 great games and they unfortunately have to suffer from a **** engine & a whole lot of poor choices (like the DRM).

Associate
are you able to say where you got your non-drm copy? I guess not?

yes - it's the odyssey special K (various versions) I tried - no luck.

might give DXVK a go.

not sure what's up, but can't log in to uplay anyway at the moment. Was trying to change install directory; hope that hasn't bjorked everything up and I'm now on the naughty step ...

Soldato
are you able to say where you got your non-drm copy? I guess not?

yes - it's the odyssey special K (various versions) I tried - no luck.

might give DXVK a go.

not sure what's up, but can't log in to uplay anyway at the moment. Was trying to change install directory; hope that hasn't bjorked everything up and I'm now on the naughty step ...

It's out there. You can find discussions on reddit. :)

Uplay is down because Ubisoft had a massive event revealing new stuff and they were dumb enough to tie it to their services, once again demonstrating the sheer stupidity this company is capable of. Should come back in a few hours.

Associate
yes - uplay came back fairly quickly.

no luck with the drm-free copy (although haven't looked that hard tbh) - but found a thread where a 'Scene group' were being lauded for achieving the most thorough result in this context - and consequent testing results were contentious and contradictory (what's new?!) ...

BUT ... : DXVK, now this is interesting - and a big (if cautious, as early day/s) 'thank you' Poneros for encouraging me to give it a go.

Both games (origins and odyssey) are using the files, no question: when first in use the 'much worse' initial performance commented upon is very evident. But it does seem like the 'old days' where once things start to settle down ('building the shader pipes' is mentioned), performance is smoother. Bit like when you went to a new area in older games, turning around a few times seemed to help everything 'load'. It's actually worse than that at first - and you do need to persevere.

Sitwa in Origins is definitely better - not night and day, but noticeably smoother (and I think averages are higher) to the point where I think I could proceed rather than being discouraged by the constant and repeatable judder and stutter that the 'original' files cause.

And pretty much the same experience with Odyssey (which just looks amazing btw).

The obvious potential problem is that if you're just jogging through areas 'once', then the benefits may not acrue - and I'm not clear yet as to whether the shaders building up will cover undiscovered areas in the fullness of time. But on my one try so far, loading a save in Odyssey seemed to keep the smoothness ... which is encouraging in itself.

Having said all this I've done enough of this kind of tweaking to know that 'tomorrow' if I get out of bed the wrong side, so to speak, I could find all these positive changes gone awol ... but:

trying DXVK seems to be harmless - no files are overwritten, and if anyone's suffering the same kind of performance issues I describe in my previous posts, it might be worth giving it a go. Of course a very large YMMV.

* - should add, that as further evidence (if not necessarily of the desirable kind) that the files are indeed taking over the reins, game-specific changes in the Radeon control centre (i.e. chill frame-rate cap, 'sharpening' etc) are now being roundly ignored !

on balance I still appreciate the 'improvement' enough to persist with DXVK for the time being, and as far as I can tell freesync is still working ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom