Assassin’s Creed Origins

Soldato
Only played a little of this game (on PS4) and thinking of switching to PC. How's the controller support and optimisation? I would mostly play on my laptop with a quad core mobile CPU and GTX 970m.

Also I hear the DRM is intrusive on PC (Steam version), how intrusive?

Soldato
Hidden Ones is excellent as is Pharaohs. I preferred the former to the latter even though it was very short. Both excellent dlc though.
I honestly couldn't disagree more. I loved the base game but thought The Hiden Ones was one of the worst dlc I've ever played. It is just more of the same, but set in one of the most boring areas in the map, with an uninteresting story that goes nowhere with no Intersting new characters or mechanics... Tbh I can't even remember a single thing about the story.

It was so bad I didn't even consider the other dlc.

Soldato
Only played a little of this game (on PS4) and thinking of switching to PC. How's the controller support and optimisation? I would mostly play on my laptop with a quad core mobile CPU and GTX 970m.

Also I hear the DRM is intrusive on PC (Steam version), how intrusive?
Gonna stay on PS4 me thinks

Soldato
I honestly couldn't disagree more. I loved the base game but thought The Hiden Ones was one of the worst dlc I've ever played. It is just more of the same, but set in one of the most boring areas in the map, with an uninteresting story that goes nowhere with no Intersting new characters or mechanics... Tbh I can't even remember a single thing about the story.

It was so bad I didn't even consider the other dlc.
Fair do's but you're missing out on great DLC with Pharoahs. Hidden One's I admit had a crap area - too many tall mountains and not much else - except for the final conclusion of Bayek's journey, which made it all worthwhile.

Soldato
I'm really loving the world in this game. Probably the best-looking and most detailed game world I can remember from any game. Just riding/wandering around is still stunning even 25 hours in.

I'm finding I still suck at melee combat, though, and have only really got even half-comfortable with spears. I've killed three phylakes now, but got the first with firebombs and got the last two hilariously easily by hiding in a field and steering all my predator arrows straight into their heads from about 70m away - so no meleeing them at all. That enhanced predator bow skill seems a bit overpowered! But am I going to need to get better at melee and/or invest in the melee skills at some point? Or can bow and stealth take me through the end game? A bit concerned I'll hit a wall at some point where this will bite me (playing on hard).

Soldato
I'm really loving the world in this game. Probably the best-looking and most detailed game world I can remember from any game. Just riding/wandering around is still stunning even 25 hours in.

I'm finding I still suck at melee combat, though, and have only really got even half-comfortable with spears. I've killed three phylakes now, but got the first with firebombs and got the last two hilariously easily by hiding in a field and steering all my predator arrows straight into their heads from about 70m away - so no meleeing them at all. That enhanced predator bow skill seems a bit overpowered! But am I going to need to get better at melee and/or invest in the melee skills at some point? Or can bow and stealth take me through the end game? A bit concerned I'll hit a wall at some point where this will bite me (playing on hard).

My wife took that skill, after seeing her use it I didn't go near it, it's far too game breaking and looks utterly stupid...

As for melee, it's all down to dodging really. Once you dodge attacks which have huge windows, just attack a couple of times and repeat.

Soldato
My wife took that skill, after seeing her use it I didn't go near it, it's far too game breaking and looks utterly stupid...

As for melee, it's all down to dodging really. Once you dodge attacks which have huge windows, just attack a couple of times and repeat.

Yeah, it is a bit of a wtf skill! It's definitely overpowered. I took down another phlyakitai with it last night whilst hiding in reeds and again he didn't lay a glove on me. The only thing for me that stops it being actually game-breaking is the fact that it's not really usable in medium or short-range once you've been spotted due to the zoom effect becoming too cumbersome.

I have got a bit better at melee, and it's only shield-users I'm having any trouble with now. What irks me is that it seems the enemy is not bond by the same rules the player is with shields. My charged heavy attacks seem to be cancelled by theirs even if I start the wind-up slightly earlier, and I don't seem to be able to cancel their attacks in the same way. Also I haven't been able to get the parry window down reliably.

I have found that dodging backwards to open up space and using the spear charged heavy attack is also a bit OP. Whilst this lets me win quite easily most fights with any space to play with I don't want it to be my only move to counter shield-users so I'm forcing myself to use other weapons. Which I have not been successful with yet, tbh.

Oh, and do you melee locked-on to enemies or not? With lock-on off it is a lot easier to get behind them, but then I find my charged attacks too often miss. I am a big fan of the dodging into attack windows pattern from the Dark Souls games, but melee in this game feels a bit clunky and finicky by comparison.

Soldato
Only thing they need to improve in terms of the game world's is what we saw with RDR2, which for me is the best gameworld ever created. It had lots of events and encounters happening throughout the world that you could stumble upon. Robberies, characters doing stuff and fighting etc. Raised the bar for open world games. Like to see Ubi do more of that.

Associate
So during the Steam summer sale I bought the gold version of Origins as well as the season pass for Odyssey. I'm having major stuttering issues with Origins which I've never had with comparable settings in Odyssey (I'm over 100 hours into Odyssey). I'm running an 8700K/GTX 1080/16GB 3200 RAM and all games are installed on SSD's, I'm running at 1440P/144Hz G-sync monitor and I've never felt stuttering like this, it doesn't even have to be a detailed scene, it will just crawl to unplayable levels and then be smooth after a while. I've tried disabling full screen optimsations as well as trying different CPU priority which I've seen advised, nothing has sorted the stuttering yet. I'm really enjoying the game but finding it hard to persevere right now due to these issues :(

Caporegime
Amazing game and a badly needed change of direction, I’ve just gone back to play Syndicate and it feels clunky compared to Origins and Odyssey which felt so fluid/smooth to play

Soldato
Amazing game and a badly needed change of direction, I’ve just gone back to play Syndicate and it feels clunky compared to Origins and Odyssey which felt so fluid/smooth to play

I've just finished playing the Odyssey DLC and the season pass included AC III remastered. I'd played it originally and though I'd give it a play again but just could not get into it as it seemed so basic by comparison with Odyssey etc.

Caporegime
I've just finished playing the Odyssey DLC and the season pass included AC III remastered. I'd played it originally and though I'd give it a play again but just could not get into it as it seemed so basic by comparison with Odyssey etc.

Yeah I couldn’t get into 3 either, I tried the remaster and barely got past the opening sequence. Feels very dated to play.

Back
Top Bottom