Assault rifles and military-style semi-automatics have been banned in New Zealand

Man of Honour
Since they never had an issue with them before a non citizen abused the current laws, modified weapons illegally, then committed an illegal act for his own mental reasons. Wouldn't the appropriate response have been to limit gun licenses to citizens of NZ only? Perhaps with mental health checks alongside?

It is an aspect I find strange that a non-citizen of unknown background was seemingly able to buy multiple rifles and military style attachments/extended magazines in a short space of time with seeming little oversight.

Soldato
But people do choose to do mass shootings......or was NZ just a horrible dream.

They do.

But the only reason why the gun is so deadly to society is because usually people with bad intentions have them.

The more people with gun intentions have them then the more law and order we have in society.

If that mosque had an armed guard the guy might have died as he approached the place.

Soldato
Because one day you might get sad and decide to shoot people.... with your plinking guns you might kill someone easy enough but within 3-4 reloads your on the ground with a head wound.

We do not need guns on UK streets for the general public its beyond stupid infact its beyond brexit stupid.

Just even asking that qurstion is stupid tbh.

Except we dont have legal firearms on the streets andthere are plenty of legal gun owners in the uk and if you knew anything about the uk gun culture you might realise how stupid you sound

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I was probably firing SLRs and other fun toys when you was still in a nappy, not that amounts to anything. So please do not call me stupid, i am aware of what people can have locked up in UK gun cabinets. It is not am excuse to allow even more guns in home ownership.

People are stupid whuch makes guns stupid but keep on trying to defend stupid.

One argument only guns are fun and its not a good enough argument to alllow more.

Soldato
They do.

But the only reason why the gun is so deadly to society is because usually people with bad intentions have them.

The more people with gun intentions have them then the more law and order we have in society.

If that mosque had an armed guard the guy might have died as he approached the place.

Ah, the Trump argument.

Arm more people to defend themselves and the problem goes away.

That hasn't really worked, has it.

Soldato
You know there absolutely no chance of hearing a reasonable argument for allowing assault rifles into the hands of the public, when comparisons are drawn against useful everyday things (such as cars) the argument is lost.

Your absolutely right and thats why Assault Rifles are already banned virtually worldwide. Just to clarify, the mass shooting in NZ wasn't carried out with an assault rifle and no mass shooting in the western world has used an assault rifle since 1986. Thats also why no-one is talking about about an assault rifle ban, either in New Zealand or elsewhere which makes me wonder why your bringing up firearms banned 30+ years ago.

The opinions I have are framed in the context of the title of the thread, which relates to semi-automatic assault rifles, which I think should be absolutely prohibited to everybody but the military and armed police.

These firearms just don't exist, there is no such thing as a semi-automatic assault rifle - are you sure you shoot at an actual gun club because your making some extremely basic mistakes here. Let me help you -

An assault rifle is very specific term for a select fire military rifle which fires an intermediate cartridge (5.45mm to 7.92mm) from a detachable magazine, and "select fire" means that it fires both as a semi-automatic (one trigger pull means one shot) and fully automatic fire (either burst or sustained fire).
A semi-automatic rifle (or assault weapon in US terminology) covers non-military firearms of any bullet size (from tiny 4.5mm all the way past 25mm), with or without a detachable magazine which CAN NOT fire in a fully automatic way.

Just to catch you out there are a few semi-automatic military rifles (SKS, L1A1 SLR etc) which can cause confusion but these are NOT assault rifles because they fail to satisfy the criteria required to be classed as assault rifles (SKS has no detachable magazine, L1A1 SLR is has no select fire ability) etc.

Hope that helps!

It is not an excuse to allow even more guns in home ownership.

No-one here is asking for MORE guns, we're just having a discussion that less (or no) guns via a ban may not be a well thought-out response when some firearms do have a useful place (as agreed by the NZ government).

Soldato
I was probably firing SLRs and other fun toys when you was still in a nappy, not that amounts to anything. So please do not call me stupid, i am aware of what people can have locked up in UK gun cabinets. It is not am excuse to allow even more guns in home ownership.

People are stupid which makes guns stupid but keep on trying to defend stupid.

One argument only guns are fun and its not a good enough argument to alllow more.

lol OK internet expert no need to get so pissy. For someone with your attitude and temperament its probably good you don't have access to guns anymore. It's entertaining how when we you want to enforce you views on everyone else due the the odd nut job who exploited poor government licensing and regulation. When regulated and licensed correctly there is nothing wrong with firearms including semi auto rifles and before your harp on i'm not saying everyone should have access to guns and it should be the wild west out there.

Soldato
This is 2019. Are we yet at the point where we can ban this sort of crap for stupidity?

The guy at the other mosque picked up the gunmans shotgun and ran at him, then he ran off. If he never picked up a gun him and many more would have been killed.

Banning guns doesn't make gun crime magically go away

Soldato
This is 2019. Are we yet at the point where we can ban this sort of crap for stupidity?

Nobody had a gun at the mosque. Just like you wanted, and look what happened.

If you are advocating to take someone elses ability to own a gun away then you have to take the responsibility, or at least acknowledge what happened, when things go wrong.

Soldato
Nearly everytime a mass shooting happens in the US, it happens in a gun free zone, funny how mass murderers don't like following the law

Back
Top Bottom