Assistance - Calling all Samsung EVO owners

Soldato
I`ve recently "upgraded" to an 500Gb 850 EVO. The 840 EVO has gone into a new laptop, which won't be getting a lot of use, and could be left switched of for weeks, or even months. It'll be interesting to test the 840's performance after a few months without power.

Meanwhile the 850 seems no different in performance to the 840 in my PC. A bit more spare capacity though !

My 840 in my laptop is down to 400mb for most of the test in hdtune now :( Laptop doesn't get a lot of use.

Associate
My 840 in my laptop is down to 400mb for most of the test in hdtune now :( Laptop doesn't get a lot of use.

Is that an 840 EVO with the latest firmware ?

I`ve just updated a 120gb 840 EVO in a customer's PC. It had the previous firmware (that failed to properly fix the issue) installed late last year. I checked with HDTune and it was looking bad. I updated to the latest firmware and perfromance improved, but not fully. After doing some other work on the PC for about half an hour, another run of HDTune showed that performance was getting close to maximum.

Soldato
Is that an 840 EVO with the latest firmware ?

I`ve just updated a 120gb 840 EVO in a customer's PC. It had the previous firmware (that failed to properly fix the issue) installed late last year. I checked with HDTune and it was looking bad. I updated to the latest firmware and perfromance improved, but not fully. After doing some other work on the PC for about half an hour, another run of HDTune showed that performance was getting close to maximum.

Hey Dervious - it is indeed and 840 evo with firmware version EXT0DB6Q which magician tells me is the latest version?

I really need to check the few machines I've built in the office at work as I'm sure some have the 840 evo and if so they must be rather slow by now!

Associate
I'd forgotten about this issue until these recent posts refreshed my interest.
Magician reports good sequential read and writes, good random reads but poor writes.
HD Tune gives good results for read, in fact excellent over 515 average, however wont allow me to test writes with a message about partitions.
Guess I need to rtfm :)

Soldato
Man, I totally forgot about this! I was trying to figure out why my laptop felt so sluggish, so I benchmarked the SSD... :eek:

[edit] Note that I had ran all the HDTune benchies a with 64kb block size - just re-ran with 8MB, link here for reference.

0EDyziTm.png.jpg M5ofyaem.png.jpg

Did a quick bit of Googling and found out that the second firmware fix for the mSATA version was finally released last month. Note that it isn't available to download directly on the Samsung website, so I had to apply it via Samsung Magician 4.8. All seems well again in the world :p

zwJ8ZeAm.png.jpg keAN3Gxm.png.jpg

I then ran the "Advanced Performance Optimisation" function in Samsung Magician and benched again to see if it had any discernable effect. Perhaps more stable performance in HDTune?

h4RUZdQm.png.jpg MVAZJ3Em.png.jpg

Two quick questions for you fine folk:
  • Do I need to keep Samsung Magician installed AND running constantly in the background for the "performance optimisation"?
  • I plan on re-running the benchies in a couple of months to see if performance is the same, but is there anything else I need to do?

Cheers,

Su

[edit] For the benefit of Google, new firmware version is EXT43B6Q.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom