Asus aftercare, PB278Q replacement monitor is such a joke its untrue!

Small update:

After receiving 3 refurbished units, they sent me a new unit which took almost 2 weeks to arrive because of stock issues. It was sealed from the factory, now I'm staring at a stuck pixel in the centre of the screen.

4th monitor in a row with some sort of defect. I've asked them for another new one to be sent out, or going to try and get a refund.

Small update:

After receiving 3 refurbished units, they sent me a new unit which took almost 2 weeks to arrive because of stock issues. It was sealed from the factory, now I'm staring at a stuck pixel in the centre of the screen.

4th monitor in a row with some sort of defect. I've asked them for another new one to be sent out, or going to try and get a refund.

I would want a refund at this rate

I think you are right, I was so hopeful about receiving the new monitor... I have contacted them asking to issue a refund after thinking it over. Surely after receiving so many defective monitors I am eligible to get my money back.

Asus are not that bad it is down to the way they do the RMA `s it would help a lot if they agreed you had a bad monitor and then sent you a new replacement not a second hand job that already had issues .

Quite close to getting an Asus before buying the Dell 24 and 27" over the last couple of years. Kind of glad I didn't as it seems I may have avoided any issues with potential RMAs :o

Thankfully never had an issue with the Dells ever since the 2000FPW which was swapped onsite with a like for like with minimal faff.

Now have an LG, no idea what they're like for RMA... yet.

Small update...

Asus finally (sort of) issued me a refund today.

I contacted Amazon and had a chat with them... Wasn't much help at all.

Namrata:Hello, my name is Namrata. I will be glad to assist you.
Could you please elaborate your concern please?

Me:I have had my Asus monitor I purchased from you with clearance from Asus to obtain a refund.

Namrata:I understand that you would like to return the item "Asus PB278Q 27 inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (2560x1440, 5ms, VGA, DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI)" for full refund. Is that correct?

Me:I have already returned the item to Asus, they have accepted the monitor and issued clearance for a refund.
I have the credit number: xxxxxx

Namrata:Okay, Could you please let me know the order number for the same?

Me:#202-0823564-2097926

Namrata:Thank you.

Me:No problem

Namrata:please allow me a minute while I check this for you.

Me:Thank you

Namrata:Thanks for waiting.
I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I would like to inform you that You need to contact Asus because you have returned the item back to the Asus so they are able to issue you the refund or replacement as per your preference.

Me:They said the opposite, Asus do not issue refunds directly. I will quote email
"Thank you for your patience regarding the credit back for your ASUS monitor.
The credit number has been issued.
Please contact your seller to advise them of the credit number: xxxxxx.
With the above, they will be able to contact the distributor for the credit to be issued to them and yourself."

Namrata:Thanks for the information Jonathan.

Me:also another quote from Asus "the credit needs to be claimed with the reseller who is provided with the credit by the distributor.
ASUS will not issue the credit directly to yourselves."

Namrata:I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Please contact the Asus to send you the return of the item and then you can return it back to us so than we are able to issue you the refund.

Me: The main reason I had a refund is because they send me 4 defective monitors, so returning the one I originally sent back 2 months ago will not be possible.
Do you not use the credit number to contact your distributor for Asus who will then release the funds to yourselves?

Namrata:I am really sorry we don't have the option to use the credit number to issue the refund. In that case, I would request you to please contact Asus, and return the item back to us so that we can issue you the refund.

Me:I will contact Asus and see what they have to say, thanks for your assistance.

At a bit of a loss now... Sigh

Called them directly spoke to a helpful lady who eventually escalated it and advised me the funds would be in my bank within 3 working days. Fingers crossed :)

Thanks for posting this. I certainly won't be picking the asus monitor I was looking at. How can they even begin to think sending a refurb is acceptable? The fact you had to bring this thread to their attention to get anything resembling a proper resolution (with the dead pixel aside..) is pathetic, particularly for a pricey monitor.

Looks like buying an ASUS ROG is going to be like playing a payslip lottery with the number of units they with have for retail and the terrible support they have.

Just have to look around online to see the stories of asus and their crap rma service, they seem to think they can void warranties at will because of what they call "cid" (customer induced damage) yet they can somehow send out damaged products to replace brand new ones?

I got screwed over a few years ago on a p38 maximus formula motherboard, it was having trouble with its memory slots, tons of reports about it on the web, sent it back to asus they found some vague mark on it (probably a motherboard standoff nicked the board) and they called it "customer induced damage" and voided the warranty, despite the fact that tons of people had the same issue.

My 7990 is on its way over for rma because it was overheating, though I've no doubt they'll void the warranty once seeing the thermal paste was replaced, it was overheating with the stock plasticine look-alike stuff that amd used so I tried some artic ceramique to see if it would change matters, which it didn't.

Regardless if its replaced or not its not a company I intend to deal with in the future, their rma system is laughable and there's far too many reports online of it for it to be random occurrences.

Last edited:
Oh dear, Gerard, and my motherboard is an Asus. I've had it a while though as I bought it when the Ivy Bridge came out and it has run flawlessly since. Sounds like it was juts as well given the RMA 'service' they provide.

I'm still glad I got my Dell monitor instead of the Asus one.

Same here with the asus mobo as well, when it comes time to get rid of it though not a chance I'll be going back. Their rma seems to be a total shambles, seen people get back damaged cards, damaged motherboards, monitors etc, yet if the part you rma has any sign of damage (even cosmetic) they seem to automatically reject it? Begs the question where do they get the damaged hardware to send to people as replacements in the first place if it gets rejected because of damage?

Just far too dodgy for my liking, you've weeks of downtime to contend with only for them to go over the product with a microscope looking for something to call "CID" and have a voided warranty. I've literally no doubt mine will be voided, I'll be very surprised if they actually replace it with a card that doesn't get to water boiling temps after 10 minutes, seen one guy send in I think it was a 290x and get it "replaced" with a 7770 card, appeared to be a mistake that eventually got sorted but just shows what kind of place you're dealing with.

Last edited:
This is awful but entirely unsurprising.

I wouldn't trust any companies aside from Eizo or Samsung (and possibly Iiyama) to not give you a completely battered (and unsaleable even as C grade) 'reconditioned' replacement monitor. Some are worse than others, and it varies from territory to territory**, but ASUS / BenQ / AOC / Hazro etc all have a reputation for doing this.

**typically this won't happen in Germany as punters would go absolutely apesh*t and the staff working for the company would likely refuse to engage in such practice anyway. For this reason, I've often bought consumer goods or electronic or PC components from Germany, when I like the product but don't trust the manufacturer / retailer. Invariably, when I have had problems, the retailer pays for shipping back to Germany to get things sorted (often after more than a year) and either repairs or replaces swiftly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom